BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monitor was working fine this afternoon as I was uning the Nav.

Then I noticed when I next got in that the screen was blank. On startup it flickers, but nothing comes on. The screen is working as it's backlit, I managed to fiddle around and navigate blind to the "Monitor Off" and then the backlight goes off comletely.

A loose wire? I hope so!

Any idea's?

Steve

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
OK, Bypass it. Remove the blue plug from the TV module and the similar blue plug from a flying lead/connector that comes from the TMC module (black). Connect the blue plug that came from the flying lead into the TV module.

If you don't have a TV module substitute the Nav computer in the above instructions.

The Video link is daisy chained :

Nav -> TV -> TM -> Monitor

so removing the TM module should restore video if it's at fault. If that is the cause then you should remove it. There is a large multi plug connected to the bulkhead to the upper right of the Nav/CD Changer cubbyhole and 3 wires that you will need to cut as they are soldered into the main harness.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Richard,

I also have the TV on The Go lead installed - removed it and Screen came back on. Reconnected it and still on!

Must have been a dodgy connection.

But....

Regarding the Traffic Master I have noticed that for some time now when I get into the car 1st thing (Cold) there is a buzzing/ticking type noise coming from the traffic master area (below Nav).

Maybe it's time to invest in cupholders??

Steve

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If you don't have the Traffic Master subscription, and who does, then it's best to at leat disconnect the main unit. You don't have to remove the control knob but you might as well.

·
1,939 Posts
+1 on the Trafficmaster. Though only because Richard told me what the problem with my screen would be before I spent a shedload of money replacing the TV tuner...

Took 10 minutes to remove the unit from the boot, including disconnecting *everything* and tidying it all up a bit. The front end took a bit longer. Maybe 15 minutes, and that includes fitting the cup holders.

Cheers,

YG

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I have these symptoms too, didn't consider it be the TM, which I need to remove anyway. Cheers guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys i am facing similar issues, my radio is working i can change tracks increase and decrease volume, but the screen is compltley blank the back light is on and the screen brightens up when the car is switched on. I do not have Traffic Master (TM) i have a TV module and Navigation that cam standard with the car, i also have an Alpine Amplifier (previous owner installed it). I faced a siomilar incident sometime ago but at that time i was unable to increase or decrease the volue nor change tracks it was stuck on low volume and on FM, then after a few days i switched on the car and everything was back to normal; i could notice the screen flickering a few times after that. But now its been a whole month the screen is blank, kindly asssit me with finding a solution to this issue. I look forward to your response. Cheers...

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
As you have the TV module it's probably not the Nav computer at fault, unless it's an odd fault.

First thing would be to disconnect the Nav unit completely (ensure red light is out before pulling the blue plug). Next, Let the car stand with the ignition on for 2 minutes, turn the ignition off and then on again. Anything on the screen? If you see something that looks like a 1980's computer then the TV module has kicked in and it is the Nav that's at fault.

If you still see nothing, unplug the TV module white and blue plugs. Connect just the blue plug from the TV module into the Nav. Turn ignition to accessory. Anything on the screen now? If you see something then the TV module has failed.

If you still see nothing then either the monitor is faulty or there is a wiring fault between the Monitor and TV, or both the Nav and TV are faulty.

My bet would be : TV module, wiring, monitor - in that order.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi guys,

Ok,finally got the software with the M5 splash screen and managed to update my 2000 beast no problems,the problems started when we tried to update my friend's 2003,the car had been fine all along with the monitor and nav rom working fine,when i installed the Software CD the screen showed "software disc in,updating software" but after 2 mins the screen went blank and nothing we did could restore the screen,tried everything including a power reset but the screen is still blank,when you open the door the screen flickers and is backlit but does not show anything,the radio is playing but cuts out after 3 mins,the car does not have a TV module.

PS:The car system was working fine before the software update,what else can we check?

·
Registered
394 Posts
its the DVD type so i think MKIV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts