BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

Im loving my '08 M5 so far, got the car about a week ago, still under break in... driving in S5 400. First few days i drove a couple hundred miles and was avg. 7 mpg... ouch ! now im getting around 12-16 mpg after putting 400 miles on the car... though i am driving like a grandpa and haven't touched the M button yet...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hahahah. Went cruising in the canyons yesterday in M mode, with a passenger, and basically was happy to see 7mpg. I reset MPG counter on highway, and was able to coax out 18MPG at 65mph on cruise control. Could handle that for a total of 3 minutes.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Cool, do a thread search on fuel mileage you will see many averages.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
hey all,

Im loving my '08 M5 so far, got the car about a week ago, still under break in... driving in S5 400. First few days i drove a couple hundred miles and was avg. 7 mpg... ouch ! now im getting around 12-16 mpg after putting 400 miles on the car... though i am driving like a grandpa and haven't touched the M button yet...
Show off!!:1:
:cheers:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Use the M Button.... Use the M Button.... Do you hear it calling your name? You know you want to....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Coming back home from Mfest I was coming down with some sort of bug so I let my wife drive for a couple of hours. (Most boring ride in my life:rolleyes:) but because I knew that this would probably be the one and only time where I might see some better MPGs I reset the trip computer and sure nuff - 22.5 MPG for those two hours.:p

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Coming back home from Mfest I was coming down with some sort of bug so I let my wife drive for a couple of hours. (Most boring ride in my life:rolleyes:) but because I knew that this would probably be the one and only time where I might see some better MPGs I reset the trip computer and sure nuff - 22.5 MPG for those two hours.:p
I have to erase this post!!:eek:

If my wife knew my car was even remotely capable of 20+ mpg, I would get hammered each month she sees my fuel expenses!:nono:

Erase button, where is the erase button!ouich
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Use the M button, vary the RPM & vehicle speed in city & road trip driving for the best break in, of course staying under 5,500 & 75 mph.

·
Registered
563 Posts
M Crisis,

My charming Asian wife, unlike yours, gets worse mileage than I do, not because of a heavy foot or "con brio" driving style or anything, but she typically insists on being one gear lower than I would in almost any given circumstance other than highway cruise.

My overall average after 50+ weeks/11000 miles is still north of 16. Pretty reasonable given the size/weight/performance.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
hey all,

Welcome.... :cheers:

You should bring your car in for service. Many of us get 22-24 mpg average. If we really beat on the car, we get 20 mpg and on the highway we are averaging 30 mpg.

You might have got a lemon!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Use the M button, vary the RPM & vehicle speed in city & road trip driving for the best break in, of course staying under 5,500 & 75 mph.
I thought you were not supposed to use S5 during break-in. Broken in my 07 by the book, and I've used P500 or P500 sport, but within the RPM limit of 5500, and gone up to 105 MPH. Unless of course that's been changed in the 08's.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Welcome.... :cheers:

You should bring your car in for service. Many of us get 22-24 mpg average. If we really beat on the car, we get 20 mpg and on the highway we are averaging 30 mpg.

You might have got a lemon!
I want my gas tax back!!!hiha

·
Registered
129 Posts
We took a road trip to Canada last summer. We had about a two hour period where we set the cruise control around 90mph. We averaged over 22 mgp for that two hour period. Our mileage for the entire 3700+ miles was better than 17mpg. That included high speed runs and city driving. and yes, being a passenger is boring!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I thought you were not supposed to use S5 during break-in. Broken in my 07 by the book, and I've used P500 or P500 sport, but within the RPM limit of 5500, and gone up to 105 MPH. Unless of course that's been changed in the 08's.
2006 Owner's Manual, page 104, "Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km

Drive at changing engine and driving speeds, however do not exceed 5,500 rpm or 105 mph/170 km/h.

Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the transmission's kick-down mode during these initial miles.

From 1,200 miles/2,000 km to 3,000 miles/5,000 km

The engine and driving speed can gradually be increased up to a continuous vehicle speed of 135 mph/220/ km/h. Only drive at top speed briefly, e.g. when passing."

I guess an argument could be made for allowing brief 155 mph passing speeds at 1,201 miles? No mention of S5 restriction, S6 is electronically locked out until 1,200 mile service.

Must have experienced a senior-moment stating 75 instead of 105 mph initial top speed. Will double up on Geritol & stop eating aluminum foil. :3:

·
Registered
316 Posts
2006 Owner's Manual, page 104, "Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km

Drive at changing engine and driving speeds, however do not exceed 5,500 rpm or 105 mph/170 km/h.

Avoid full-throttle operation and use of the transmission's kick-down mode during these initial miles.

From 1,200 miles/2,000 km to 3,000 miles/5,000 km

The engine and driving speed can gradually be increased up to a continuous vehicle speed of 135 mph/220/ km/h. Only drive at top speed briefly, e.g. when passing."

I guess an argument could be made for allowing brief 155 mph passing speeds at 1,201 miles? No mention of S5 restriction, S6 is electronically locked out until 1,200 mile service.

Must have experienced a senior-moment stating 75 instead of 105 mph initial top speed. Will double up on Geritol & stop eating aluminum foil. :3:
Well I may need some Geritol as well and stool softener for being full of sh*t for thinking S5 was restricted... I'm so pissed i drove around with S4 unnecessarily for 1200 miles...

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I did a complete study on gas mileage,
city
highway
with a/c
wo/ac
"M" mode
w/o "M" mode
65mph
75mph
85mph
I did and posted this study a year ago.."M" mode is 1 mpg less crusing
a/c is 1mpg less crusing
65-75 mph is 1 mpg difference...look it up, do a search it's there...
...in the end I got roughly 20 to 22 mpg highway...15-18 around town

1 - 20 of 24 Posts