BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my M5 in 2005 with about 38k on the odometer. I was about 1/2 mile from my house on my way to an autocross this weekend when the clutch went to the floor and stayed there. Found hoses to the slave cylinder were leaking so I had them replaced along with the slave cylinder although it was fine.

I’m very happy with the life of this clutch although I’ve heard of them being replaced sub 50k miles. I don’t baby any car I have but I do feather it until it’s hooked up, then full throttle. I thought I would be replacing the clutch as well but wasn’t necessary.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yup. Mine is at 175K and is original. I think these cars have an undeserved bad rap for weak clutches.

Good move replacing the slave cylinder. I reinstalled one with a bunch of miles when doing a clutch on a 530i and had it come apart on me when I depressed the pedal for the first time. It was a major PITA fishing the rod and seals out of the bell housing.......

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I got 196K out of my original.

·
Registered
121 Posts
118k on mine, fresh clutch hose and bleed.
Pedal is spongy so I think i need to do the slave now too.

Some people are just bad about slipping the clutch too much, they last a real long time if you engage quickly.
I'd guess that many who drive more aggressive/shift fast have clutches that last longer than those with poor skills.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The OE clutch is perfectly suited for aggressive street use(no hard launching from a dig), not the most appropriate hardware for heavy track use(but neither is the car). Evolve has stated the factory clutch and flywheel is good for 650hp in the install video they just released for the new supercharger, they would know.

Don't go WFO before the clutch is fully out fallowing a reasonably close rev match and your clutch will live a long a prosperous life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts