BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next weekend I am taking the M5 to the all the windows tinted. I found a shop, recommended by fellow M5ers in Livermore. I am going with the Forumula One ceramic tint ($375 total) but am trying to decide what % to go with. I am going with 50% up fronts and probably 15% in rear window but not sure about the rear side windows. While I have pretty good night vision, how much differenece does the 15% vs 35% have during nighttime driving?

·
10,455 Posts
I had thought the ceramic tint interferes with nav reception? Is that not true?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't think having a huge difference from one window to the next looks very good. A 10% spread from one window to the next is ok (for a total spread of 20% between the rear window and the front sides), but more than that and there's too much contrast between windows.

Osodog said:
Next weekend I am taking the M5 to the all the windows tinted. I found a shop, recommended by fellow M5ers in Livermore. I am going with the Forumula One ceramic tint ($375 total) but am trying to decide what % to go with. I am going with 50% up fronts and probably 15% in rear window but not sure about the rear side windows. While I have pretty good night vision, how much differenece does the 15% vs 35% have during nighttime driving?

·
10,455 Posts
Osodog said:
BTW, I worked just across the street from you, on North Via Monte. I often see your car on my walk over to Safeway. Very cool!
Ha, small world, what color is your car? I've seen a few around here.
Who are you using for your tint? I've been thinking about it too.
Mike :cheers:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carbon Black, though I rarely drive up Igancio, but take Treat to 680 to 24 and then park in the rear of the building. I am taking it to Rocky Mountain WindowTint. The guy that runs the shop is Matt. He has a 7 series with the F1 ceramic on it with all three tint %'s, so I will make up my mind when I get there. I could also do 50's up front, 35's sides and 15's in the rear.

·
10,455 Posts
Osodog said:
Carbon Black, though I rarely drive up Igancio, but take Treat to 680 to 24 and then park in the rear of the building. I am taking it to Rocky Mountain WindowTint. The guy that runs the shop is Matt. He has a 7 series with the F1 ceramic on it with all three tint %'s, so I will make up my mind when I get there. I could also do 50's up front, 35's sides and 15's in the rear.
There is (or was, at least) a rocky mountain window tint in concord. I've had several friends over the years use them with good results. I'm thinking of something light, my previous 528 had a lite tine (maybe 50%) and i was happy with the look and function.
Mike

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have 35% Formula One Ultimate all around and it looks great. Very subtle but does the job very well. The PO did this and it is just right.

Jordan

·
Registered
445 Posts
Cool. I'm heading taking it out there to get the M5 tinted also. I'm going with 15% in the back and 50% in the front. the ceramic tint on my M3 did not affect radio reception at all.

Osodog said:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
The way it was explained to me was that 15% tint "lets in only" 15% light and 35% tint "lets in only" 35% light. So taking that into consideration, how often will you drive at night may help you decide along with your local laws regarding % of tint which your tinter should clarify. IMHO, I like the tint to be equal all around to give a uniform look.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 15% and find it a bit dark at night but not overpowering, also never had an issue with the law, but it is something to think about if you draw much attention to yourself.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Osodog said:
Here's mine with 35%.Rears look darker as sunscreens are up.I like the look on black.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts