BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just had a marathon run from Naples, Florida to Scarsdale, NY (1377 miles). Averaged just over 81MPH including pitstops for a total time of about 17 hours. Averaged 22.1 MPG. Had some stretches where I was really moving, averaged over 90mph through the Carolinas. Traffic moves at 85MPH or so from FL up to Richmond VA. Then it gets a little slower. Didn't see many cops. This was the first time that I had done a long distance high speed run in the car and it was awesome.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
PeteM1965 said:
Hi all

Just had a marathon run from Naples, Florida to Scarsdale, NY (1377 miles). Averaged just over 81MPH including pitstops for a total time of about 17 hours. Averaged 22.1 MPG. Had some stretches where I was really moving, averaged over 90mph through the Carolinas. Traffic moves at 85MPH or so from FL up to Richmond VA. Then it gets a little slower. Didn't see many cops. This was the first time that I had done a long distance high speed run in the car and it was awesome.
Awesome driving Pete and an impressive average speed. The day after I picked up my M5 new from the dealer, I drove from CA to PA in about 3 days. My longest day was about 1000 miles (Flagstaff to Tulsa). After awhile, you don't seem to feel the miles. I never calculated my average speed, but I know it wasn't as fast as yours. My game was to use the truckers as pace vehicles. If I saw another group of truckers ahead, I would jump ahead to that group. I found they would maintain approximately 80 mph with a trailer and saw some reach 90 without a trailer. :flag:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
That's a marathon allright. Straight up I-95? Bladder control is Key ;)
I did Ft. Lauderdale to Wilmington, Delaware in 19 hours plus a 5 hr. layover. That's about 1180 miles and I thought I was pushing it. Wow. The Georgia and the Carolina's are nice to drive through at high speeds...but it's boring. Beach traffic in the summer. Generally starts slowing down around Richmond. Yeh, you were bookin!

·
Registered
118 Posts
PeteM1965 said:
Hi all

Yes, that was pretty fast. When I picked up my car in Palm Beach and drove back to Stamford CT it took me 23 hrs (included a 4 hour rest stop in MD). That's one great thing about the Beast...eats up miles on long trips.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Great story! I love doing stuff like that, however my wife thinks i'm nuts. I would love to drive 'cross country but no way that's going to happen!! We had to drive from L.I. to Ohio this summer (wife and 8 and 10 yr. old kids). My wife actually didnt' behave to poorly, LOL She's your typical "are we almost there" kind. I just say yeah, just a few more minutes. I made lousy time because they wanted to stop constantly but there were stretches where I don't want to say the speeds I was maintaining. Makes your 80 look slow. Late at night and no one around except some 18 wheelers every now and then.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Chuckc said:
If I saw another group of truckers ahead, I would jump ahead to that group. I found they would maintain approximately 80 mph with a trailer and saw some reach 90 without a trailer. :flag:
:eek:oohhh: 80 mph with a truck, are you talking about the huge kind of things or smaller trucks. I would be scared as hell if I get that kind of vehivle doing 80 mph on my tail. I mean the stoplengt on that thing from 80 mph must be several football fields.......

In Norway they are limited to 62 mph........ and that is a good thing....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts