BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for a (always on) 12V wire in the sunroof/map-light area. Does anyone know which wire this might be? I know the green/white one is the switched 12v source but if anyone can help me locate the non-switched one, that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
The red gray wire is power from the the 20 amp fuse. Have not looked to see if it is switched by the ignition switch. I suspect it is not however.
Complicated wiring in these cars it would be much easier to advise if you told what you wanted to do. Why am I guessing radar detector?

·
Registered
138 Posts
If it is a radar detector why wouldn't you use switched power? That's what I have for my V-1 and it works great. You can leave it up if parking in a non-crime prone area (99% of Minnesota) and never forget to turn it back on when driving.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, it's not a radar detector. V1 is already hardwired to that switched power source. I'm trying to hardwire this small video recorder (that's currently plugged into my lighter).

I wasn't sure if anything up there had constant power. Yes, as Bcampel7 say, the sunroof and homelink are switched but I think the maplights are not. Not sure as they work after you open the door but they may be on a timer too. It's difficult to get a voltmeter into the wires/plugs to make contact. Maybe I'll mess with it some more this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
4,846 Posts
If you can figure out how to read WDS, that's an option. I've seen a link floating around this board. You could also try to PM member AMP.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Why do you want the camera on when the car is off? The timers don't work the way you think. The devices are controlled by modules that work more like a relay. You have constant power to the module and another power source turns it on and off. The wire I gave you is power to the sunroof motor it has power always possibly. The motor runs when the key is in position 0 so it is not controlled thru the key directly. The only way to know if another module is controlling it is to test it with the car silent or asleep.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The camera also has a motion sensing function that starts recording when there's motion. In the past I've had people back into the front of the my car in parking lots even tho I park in BFE.

Thanks for letting me know that's the wire for the power to the sunroof motor. I tested the sunroof when the key was out for a while and it didn't open. I'll try to test it but I still think tapping the power for the map lights is the way to go. Just got to figure out which wire this is.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Let you know tomorrow to late now. Pretty sure it is not usable because it come from the light control module. You need fused power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for a (always on) 12V wire in the sunroof/map-light area. Does anyone know which wire this might be? I know the green/white one is the switched 12v source but if anyone can help me locate the non-switched one, that would be much appreciated.
Dear ///dv/dt, hello! How did you solve the 12V constant power wire? I’m installing somehow same dash cam for parking purposes. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
You can find WDS in newtis.info.
I would be concerned about parasitic draw killing the battery though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts