BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
125,000 mile update on rod bearings replaced 41,000 miles ago at 84,000 miles. Today, I'm at 126,000 miles.

I'm still tacking on the miles, but not as much as before -- only about 11,000 miles this past year. Lately, I'm tacking more miles on my LandCrusier and A3 Quattro.

I also fly about 100,000 miles a year, and I work from home many of the days I'm not flying. Needless to say, when the e60 gets driven, she still gets driven. As many know, she's my long distance commuter: The Bay Area, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver. Often times, I'll take the long way because it's more fun!

My start up sequence, driving habits, and maintenance remains unchanged.

Oil: Motul 7100 10w60 (yes, I know, it's motorcycle oil)
Tune: FAMS JColley tune, just loaded.
Headers: Catless race headers

Boring stuff really, in the last year. No major maintenance.

OMS sent in my Blackstone, so my old reports are not showing.

My previous updates:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/290497-rod-bearings-84-000-miles.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/395649-101-000-mile-update-rod-bearings-replaced-17-000-miles-ago.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/462753-114-000-mile-update-rod-bearings-replaced-30-000-miles-ago.html

Get out and DRIVE these cars! They NEED/BEG/DESERVE to be driven.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
My oil report shows high levels of copper and lead and I am going to replace the bearings. When I see OP's initial report, he had low copper and extremely high lead level at 65 ppm. Mine shows evenly high readings on copper and lead, both are in mid 30 range. Does this mean my bearings are in worse condition than OP's and my crankshaft might be scored? I am so scared...

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My oil report shows high levels of copper and lead and I am going to replace the bearings. When I see OP's initial report, he had low copper and extremely high lead level at 65 ppm. Mine shows evenly high readings on copper and lead, both are in mid 30 range. Does this mean my bearings are in worse condition than OP's and my crankshaft might be scored? I am so scared...
You're already thinking in the correct direction with replacing your rod bearings.

The reality is, you won't know the condition of the crank (or the rod bearings) until you open her up. My crankshaft was not scored; the softer bearing took the wear.

·
Registered
983 Posts

Concentration (PPM) increases with mileage on the oil thus need to have samples of equal mileage in order to make an apples to apples comparison.
The original bearings were tri-metal with lead overlay on copper thus once lead is worn away copper ppm increases while lead decreases.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You're already thinking in the correct direction with replacing your rod bearings.

The reality is, you won't know the condition of the crank (or the rod bearings) until you open her up. My crankshaft was not scored; the softer bearing took the wear.

Thanks for the updates as always, Woody.

Concentration (PPM) increases with mileage on the oil thus need to have samples of equal mileage in order to make an apples to apples comparison.
The original bearings were tri-metal with lead overlay on copper thus once lead is worn away copper ppm increases while lead decreases.

Thanks. What do we need to look for in ver 2. + bearing wear ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
125,000 mile update on rod bearings replaced 41,000 miles ago at 84,000 miles. Today, I'm at 126,000 miles.

I'm still tacking on the miles, but not as much as before -- only about 11,000 miles this past year. Lately, I'm tacking more miles on my LandCrusier and A3 Quattro.

I also fly about 100,000 miles a year, and I work from home many of the days I'm not flying. Needless to say, when the e60 gets driven, she still gets driven. As many know, she's my long distance commuter: The Bay Area, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver. Often times, I'll take the long way because it's more fun!

My start up sequence, driving habits, and maintenance remains unchanged.

Oil: Motul 7100 10w60 (yes, I know, it's motorcycle oil)
Tune: FAMS JColley tune, just loaded.
Headers: Catless race headers

Boring stuff really, in the last year. No major maintenance.

OMS sent in my Blackstone, so my old reports are not showing.

My previous updates:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/290497-rod-bearings-84-000-miles.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/395649-101-000-mile-update-rod-bearings-replaced-17-000-miles-ago.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/462753-114-000-mile-update-rod-bearings-replaced-30-000-miles-ago.html

Get out and DRIVE these cars! They NEED/BEG/DESERVE to be driven.
great write up and thank woody its because of your thread that made me aware about the issue and its been around 1000 miles since my rod bearings change

btw if you get the chance to do a small review on jims tune (differences at p400 and 500, etc) i'll be gratefull since ill be getting it soon

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
btw if you get the chance to do a small review on jims tune (differences at p400 and 500, etc) i'll be gratefull since ill be getting it soon
What is this "p400" mode you speak of??? :wink :rofl:

Seriously, the only time I'm in p400 is when I start the car. We paid for all the HP, so why not use it all the time?

Quick, seat of my pants, review of my FAMS compared to my old Dinan Stage I tune after about 500 miles:

Feels like I'm running 100 octane, instead of the 91 octane we get at the pump.

I'm not downshifting on the freeway as much to overtake.

Power band moved down to 3000.

4th gear @3000 feels like 3rd @4000.

2nd and 3rd gear at @4000 is like crack.

Throttle response feels sharper/instant @3000 -- like an old school throttle wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts