BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was chatting with someone that usually get pretty good info. Thats the current estimate on the US spec price. Is it just me or do other think that running the price up to 911tt territory is a mistake for BMW?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Enigma said:
I was chatting with someone that usually get pretty good info. Thats the current estimate on the US spec price. Is it just me or do other think that running the price up to 911tt territory is a mistake for BMW?
105 is the last i heard, not that bad since the 645 goes for 80-85k...and the m5 is gonna be 90k.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
absent said:
Considering current exchange rate ,$115k base price sounds very fair.
Fair yes, sensible no. I would agree that there is probably some upward pressure on BMW car prices in the US because of the weak dollar. BMW as a business has various hedge methods to guard against currency fluctuations, but they are only effective for a few years. If the dollar remains low for an extended period, then we'll see an increase across the board on virtually all BMW's. Let's hope not.

The main factors determining the M6 price will be the price of the competition, and how it is priced vs the M5. Now if they view Ferrari and the Porsche Turbo as the competition, that won't do much to keep the price down. A better indication is the M5. The M5 will be listing in the $85K - $90K range. I can't see the M6 pricing much more than $15K - $20K more than that. So, I would guess the M6 will list at $100K - $110K. I would agree that they need to stay away from the Porsche Turbo, but I would guess the new Turbo will list in the $140's.

Personally, I would feel a little silly paying more than $20K over the M5 price for a car that's 100 lbs lighter with basically the same mechanicals, less room, slightly lower CG, and a carbon fiber roof that saves 11 pounds. Having said that, I am willing to pay $15k - $20K more for a car that looks as good as the M6, if it really has a distinct performance advantage over the M5.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Wolverine said:
645 really goes for $75K - $80K. In the Motor Trend comparo test with the CLK 55 and Maserati they list the price as tested as $76K.
Base price sure true out the door price no...At my local dealer the coupe with smg goes for about 81k the convert goes for 85k

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Jayson said:
Base price sure true out the door price no...At my local dealer the coupe with smg goes for about 81k the convert goes for 85k
What do you mean '...true out the door price..."? You can't be adding taxes/fees because these vary tremendously, and what about discounts off MSRP? If you want to compare the 645 to the 545, just look at the MSRP:

645 Coupe MSRP $69,900
545 Sedan MSRP $55,800

A difference of $14,000. I would hope the M6 doesn't break this by too much.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Wolverine said:
What do you mean '...true out the door price..."? You can't be adding taxes/fees because these vary tremendously, and what about discounts off MSRP? If you want to compare the 645 to the 545, just look at the MSRP:

645 Coupe MSRP $69,900
545 Sedan MSRP $55,800

A difference of $14,000. I would hope the M6 doesn't break this by too much.
options

·
Registered
267 Posts
Jayson said:
Really? Mine with every option but Adaptive CC was $77,540. SMG, Manual or Auto no difference to us in Central Florida

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
cobradav said:
Really? Mine with every option but Adaptive CC was $77,540. SMG, Manual or Auto no difference to us in Central Florida
Yeah, if you completely option out the 645 Coupe on the BMWNA website, the price is still under $80K. Don't know where the $81K is coming from... Could be the dealer is adding a few thou...

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
may be the dealer it don't surprise me with them but it is what ive seen.

Back to the point though is the m6 is gonna be 115 why not just get the new aston martin v8 at 120?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jayson said:
Back to the point though is the m6 is gonna be 115 why not just get the new aston martin v8 at 120?
Thats the general concern. BMWs are great car but when you go north of $100k you start reaching status sybol territory. Now that I have a dedicated sporty car for fun I may just convert my M6 spot into an M5 one. Its not worth the price diffrence.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Jayson said:
may be the dealer it don't surprise me with them but it is what ive seen.

Why not indeed? If you'd rather have the Aston Martin, then go for it.

I don't think too many people will be buying the M6 for 'value'. I converted my no. 1 M5 spot for a no. 2 M6 spot for a number of reasons, most of them unable to stand the rigorous test of logic.

If you're looking for 'bang for the buck', in the 'close to $100K' category, I don't think you can beat the M5. I chose the M6 because of styling, but mainly because it should do everything just a little bit better than the M5 (ok hauling extra people/luggage the M5 has the edge). Does it do everything $20K plus better than the M5? Maybe not. Have I decided I'd rather drive an M6 than an M5 - yes.

As far as Aston or Porsche Turbo go, I would rather have the M6. I honestly think the main problem BMW will have with the M6 pricing will be to keep it close enough to the M5 so M6 buyers don't feel like they're getting hosed. It's pretty obvious that the manufacturing costs of the cars aren't too far apart. I'm also seeing some indications that the M5 list might start creeping over $90K, so a $115K list for the M6 is certainly possible.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am leasing an 02 M5 , own an 02 911 twin turbo and am number 1 on my dealers list for the M6.I am also number 2 for the new M5 and currently undecided what I will do.I have asked my dealer several times about what he expects the MSRP on the M6 to be and if he feels that there is any chance it will reach the 120k mark. He said "NO WAY" without hesitation.He feels that according to his contacts ,the M6 will sticker at between 95-100k.If it reaches the 115-120k mark then I will really have a difficult decision to make.How soon does anyone think we will have an official word on U.S. pricing?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Jayson said:
The AM Vantage (380 bhp, 2-seater) is more beautiful and much more exclusive, but the M6 (507 bhp, 2+2 seater + bigger trunk) is more practical and much more powerful. The AM V8 has to compete with the Porsche 997S.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If I can keep it under $110K with all the go options I can forgo any show options that raise the price beyond that. I can resist Individual interior options that don't do much for me. However, if the MSRP does get up too high I may just have to move on down to the M5. I like what they have done to it compared to its base series and can live with it just to lay hands on that sweet V10 and new SMG. In my heart though the coupe is where I'm at.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
The AM Vantage (380 bhp, 2-seater) is more beautiful and much more exclusive, but the M6 (507 bhp, 2+2 seater + bigger trunk) is more practical and much more powerful. The AM V8 has to compete with the Porsche 997S.
For me at my height the m6 is a two seater as well, and although the m6 has more power, it weighs much more than am v8v weighs about 3300 lbs and does a 4.8 to 60. Boot space I have no found listed for the amv8 yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts