BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I own a 2001 BMW m5 ,I'm considering running 110oct race gas.what are the pros? And what are the cons of this? Can the motor handle this?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I believe the motor or ECU can handle up to 100 octane of gas without needing any tunes to run on race gas. Mix half of 93 and half of 110 to achieve close to 100 oct.

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
I think the ECU will only be able to use up to about 95-96 octane. More octane helps against predetonantion some and allow for some advanced timing, but not infinitely.

I guess the best way to really determine is to do some dyno runs with different mixes to get different octanes and see where the gains stop. I would think 3-4 gallons of 110 would be enough on a full fill-up.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I think the ECU will only be able to use up to about 95-96 octane. More octane helps against predetonantion some and allow for some advanced timing, but not infinitely.

I guess the best way to really determine is to do some dyno runs with different mixes to get different octanes and see where the gains stop. I would think 3-4 gallons of 110 would be enough on a full fill-up.

Regards,
Jerry
This is correct. It can use up to 96 octane. - so with 110, perfect ratio to get 96 would be 1/3 110 and 2/3 89. Otherwise, 1/4 110 and 3/4 91 will get you just a tick under 96, give you pretty much all the gains of the higher octane while keeping a little more $ in your pocket.

The car can only utilize up to 96 octane so it stands to reason that above that octane there is no conceivable way for further gains to be had just with fuel.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Hello everyone I own a 2001 BMW m5 ,I'm considering running 110oct race gas.what are the pros? And what are the cons of this? Can the motor handle this?

Low lead,leaded or unleaded?

AV gas?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Aviation fuel.

Low lead not unleaded.

:M5rev:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts