BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my brand new 2000 MY e39 M5 at Leith BMW in Raleigh, NC.

Tons and I mean TONS of maintenance and other issues later and fwiw, the car runs like new - honestly.

Roundel Magazine is doing a feature article on my car - I want to wait until it turns 250,000 miles, (has 245,000 now).

Please don't ask what I had done to the car while I've owned it - I'd wear out the keys if you know what I mean.:(

Anyway, it's been a long and very expensive ride but it continues for now.......

·
Registered
595 Posts
Picked up my brand new 2000 MY e39 M5 at Leith BMW in Raleigh, NC.

Tons and I mean TONS of maintenance and other issues later and fwiw, the car runs like new - honestly.

Roundel Magazine is doing a feature article on my car - I want to wait until it turns 250,000 miles, (has 245,000 now).

Please don't ask what I had done to the car while I've owned it - I'd wear out the keys if you know what I mean.:(

Anyway, it's been a long and very expensive ride but it continues for now.......
WOW! Thats an enthusiast!!

Reactions: tranck

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Fantastic! Congratulations tranck!

Would love to see a pictorial of your M5 through these 11 years :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, since I wouldn't be able to get that much at all for it at this point....probably - as a daily driver though, its days may be numbered.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thats awesome! I am trying to get to the 250K, min, mark with mine! I have put on 14K miles since I bought mine and I still have a month and a half until I have had mine for 1 year!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Can't wait to see the article, be sure to let us know when it goes to press! It's great to have board members with such high e39m5 mileage under their belt, knowing that it could be done.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Congratulations!

You are a true E39 Enthusiast. Your car and its history (minus the "big" expense) is one of the examples that always stand out in my mind when I think long term ownership

·
Registered
931 Posts
Congratulations:cheers:

That's just ///Mamazing:flag: Let's see what the next 11 years will bring:noSMG:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
That's a heck of a ///Milestone. Congrats!

Hoping that I can manage just a *little* bit better on the service expenses....

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Congratulations! I've followed your maintenance needs over the years - you certainly have shown dedication to the car!

I've had mine for just over 6 years now, which is still the longest I've kept a car (other than our 11 year old Merc SUV, but that doesn't count!).

Looking forward to the Roundel article!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Great to hear.

I've had mine 10.5 years, but only have 117k on it. Hope to have it another 10 years at least.

Steve
00 M5
84 911
64 Vette Coupe

·
Registered
517 Posts
Impressive miles and story, Tranck! Congrats and def let us know when the article comes out...can't be more than a few months if you only need 5k miles. lol

Sean Paul

·
Registered
595 Posts
I,ve always loved em ,and since getting mine,it still gives me a buzz everytime the garage door reveals it.
Hope to have mine for a long time!!!

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Congrats Tom!

Tom arrived after a few of us were already at the local M5 meet, he pulls up in front of us, stops, looks at everyone with huge smile on his face, and proceeds to drop down 30 feet of rubber on his way to the parking spot. :M5launch::D

After driving his car, I can say that it drives like one with 45k miles, not 245k. It is in immaculate condition -- far better than the vast majority of M5s out there regardless of mileage.

I'm starting year 8 with the M5, and I see it as a permanent car (56k miles now :) ).

Tom, recall "that feeling" when the E39 M5 was being launched? I don't see anything matching that again. It was such an amazing point in time and was even more special imo than when the E28 M5 and E30 M3 hit the streets. I thought the 1M was going to come close actually, but the so-so carryover from Z4/335is engine doesn't cut it, but the rest of the car does kind of remind me of the E30 M3 days. I don't see the F10 M5 coming anywhere near it either...too big, too long, more of an AMG-like monster car.

Reactions: tranck and al-x

·
Registered
968 Posts
Congratulations! Being an original owner you have the distinct advantage of knowing the entire history of the car. These are definitely high maintenance vehicles, but I'd rather spend the money on something I really enjoy and get lots of pleasure out of in life than on health issues. I read a good article years ago about how driving accounts for a lot of stress in our lives over the years, and having a fun car helps to reduce stress and release endorphins into our blood, although I have had a few of those what's going on here moments with my M5. 250K is quite a milestone! Bravo!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Got to have a picture for this thread!

Congrats Tom. Hope the next 5k miles are uneventful. I'm looking forward to seeing your beast (and you :hihihi:) in Roundel!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts