BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
Earl & Kristin, Thanks for sharing your most excellent M5 road trip, And especially thanks for the write-up and pictures. :wroom:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,597 Posts
wow beautiful pics...makes me want to get a pod too! :goldcup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
kees said:
Excellent write-up! :thumbsup:

A place you passed but would have enjoyed - Mammoth Caves, Kentuky
-Damn! There's always something. Rock City near Chatanooga is another place I'd like to go back to, since we didn't have time to go into the caves there. It's amazing to me how much of the country we missed (like 31 of the 50 states!) and how much more we could have seen if we had had more time (like a few years).

chunpng said:
Earl,

That's some road trip. I love road trips. Unfortunately I have to wait till retirement to afford that much time off.

Kudos to Kristen as well. She is a trooper. The happy memories will last forever. Thanks for sharing.

CP
-She likes to stare out the window, and I like to drive - apparently more than I thought.

This trip is proof that traditional school schedules rule! That's how Kristin could take so much time off. And if we have kids later, we'll be able to take them on long trips too. No way in hell are they going to a year-round schedule!

Gustav said:
Wow, talk about an awesome road trip, many fill ups :biggrinbounce:. Thanks for the report and and amazing you avoided any incidents with ploce ir worse during the course.
-Thanks Gustav. The jackrabbit incident opened my eyes to the potentially catastrophic damage even a small animal can cause. Ever since I've had little deer whistles on both our E39s (soon to add to the Z4). We came upon racoon, deer and moose on or near the road during our trip - none bolted, they all just glared at us and held their ground. I won't go so far as to say that proves the whistles work, but I think there's something to 'em.

vampalan said:
:eek:oohhh: ermmm what as you shooting with those?
-Nothing, thankfully. The bear in northern BC get BIG and aggressive. The little black bears in Minnesota (where my mom's from) are a joke by comparison. In the many years we used to summer out in the BC bush, we'd rarely see an adult black bear under 8' tall, and never under 7'. The grizzleys are about the same height, but more aggressive. When I was two my dad had to shoot a grizzley that was trying to break into our camper to kill my mom and eat me. It didn't, he had a 375 H&H Magnum rifle. Just about every year we'd have to fire into the air to encourage curious bears to move along. Our neighbors, who farmed there in the summer, had to shoot one every two years or so if it got too nosey (they had kids). When you're 70-odd miles into the bush on dirt roads that are sometimes impassable in the rain (see mud picture), you have to be careful and plan for the worst. On the hike we took (see bushy pic), we were about a 1/2 mile in when we heard a big branch snap to our left. That was a bit of a pucker moment. It was either a bear or a moose - either way is bad. We kept going, I took the rear and listened. Whatever it was wasn't too curious about us - for which I'm thankful.

p.s. It's a pain in the *** to get a shotgun into Canada now. Apparently "self defense" is unacceptble as it conflicts with the basic premise of their guns laws (IE: You don't have a right to self defense). The border guard held us for 45 minutes while he did background checks, asked us why we owned property in Canada, etc. I had to talk to an imigration rep on the phone too. Eventually he believed me that I just wanted to see our old property and that it was idiotic to venture out there without a gun.

1mpowerme said:
Holy Lord. What a trip. From this point forward I should never feel any guilt for wanting to take my M5 on road trips.
-Exactly! Same goes for track days! They like it rough :grinyes:

Kin Mak said:
Wow, 41 tanks of petrol? Lucky petrol is cheap over in the USA. Here in Ireland it's about US$1.40 per litre. Even more if you from German or the Netherlands.
-Indeed. In Canada we paid the highest gas prices, about $1.13 a liter (Canadian $), which was around $4/gal US. I grumbled a bit, but what the hell - it's a road trip. Best not to think about it, lol. The most irritating was Oregon. I hate the idea of paying an extra 10 cents/gal so some kid can pump gas for me. I AM capable of doing this! But then I also hate socialism (flame on) as it breeds inefficiency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
palantirion said:
The bear in northern BC get BIG and aggressive. The little black bears in Minnesota (where my mom's from) are a joke by comparison. In the many years we used to summer out in the BC bush, we'd rarely see an adult black bear under 8' tall, and never under 7'. The grizzleys are about the same height, but more aggressive. When I was two my dad had to shoot a grizzley that was trying to break into our camper to kill my mom and eat me. It didn't, he had a 375 H&H Magnum rifle. Just about every year we'd have to fire into the air to encourage curious bears to move along. Our neighbors, who farmed there in the summer, had to shoot one every two years or so if it got too nosey (they had kids)
yes. but uncontrolled capitalism, breeds facism. If people remember to stay on the ball, (which they inherently don't) then democracy works fine. Apparently there is a problem these days, in people failing to do their job of protecting democracy. Beware facism, throughout history -- it has always mounted a sneak attack on any system based on democracy.

All that aside:

DOOD! What are you doing in the Alberta woods with lousy 12 guages? You know that just PO's a bear of that size. It just makes them angry and -really- hunting for blood. Like sitting in a barrel with a wolverine and hitting him with pepper spray. Did you use a #2,#3 or #00, or some bear slugs (mags)?

The .375 H&H is about right. Some think it's overkill, but you WANT a 600-900lb bear to stop NOW, not even 5 (or even 3) seconds from now. That's too late. Good thing your pop knew what to keep handy.


Do you remember the story of the Innuit guy up in churchill? He was protecting his 4-5 year old son, from a polar bear. He shot the bear six or seven times. 3 or 4 of those shots, right in the face. From around 100 feet away, down to a few feet distance on the last few shots. At least 3 of those shots, were literally a good, solid impact, right in the head and face of the bear. One shoulder gone, heart and lung shot through, and half the jaw gone. The bear still killed him. This, with a 30-06, which is by no means a wimpy rifle. But the Polar bear was in the 1000 lb range. All it did, is make the bear see red. A .375 H&H is barely controllable-it's a damn big gun... but it's barely enough.

Great trip report. Lots of fun. Thanks for the effort, it was worth the read. I love long drives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
All I can say is ... that's a freakin road trip man. You win! :goldcup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Very nice! I would have been happy to give you an excuse to stop in Indiana. Next time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
KBK said:
yes. but uncontrolled capitalism, breeds facism. If people remember to stay on the ball, (which they inherently don't) then democracy works fine. Apparently there is a problem these days, in people failing to do their job of protecting democracy. Beware facism, throughout history -- it has always mounted a sneak attack on any system based on democracy.
-Often through moving from democracy to an enforced communism or socialism which ends up being totalitarian. We can learn a lot from nature: diversification enforced by natural consequence leads to strength. Failing that, there's always: "Moderation in all things, including moderation."

KBK said:
DOOD! What are you doing in the Alberta woods with lousy 12 guages? You know that just PO's a bear of that size. It just makes them angry and -really- hunting for blood. Like sitting in a barrel with a wolverine and hitting him with pepper spray. Did you use a #2,#3 or #00, or some bear slugs (mags)?
-Not the Alberta woods, the BC woods :D Yes, I had a few slugs, and 00 shot. I would have preferred to take my Mini-14 - I'd have felt a LOT safer with 30 rounds of .223. But again, we go back to Canadian gun law.

KBK said:
The .375 H&H is about right. Some think it's overkill, but you WANT a 600-900lb bear to stop NOW, not even 5 (or even 3) seconds from now. That's too late. Good thing your pop knew what to keep handy.
-Totally, but I'd have never gotten it past customs without paying a hunting "fee". And it's not registered in my name.

KBK said:
Do you remember the story of the Innuit guy up in churchill? He was protecting his 4-5 year old son, from a polar bear. He shot the bear six or seven times. 3 or 4 of those shots, right in the face. From around 100 feet away, down to a few feet distance on the last few shots. At least 3 of those shots, were literally a good, solid impact, right in the head and face of the bear. One shoulder gone, heart and lung shot through, and half the jaw gone. The bear still killed him. This, with a 30-06, which is by no means a wimpy rifle. But the Polar bear was in the 1000 lb range. All it did, is make the bear see red. A .375 H&H is barely controllable-it's a damn big gun... but it's barely enough.
-Do NOT F&$K with polar bears!!! A 30-06 is nothing to sneaze at, although it has less than half the impact energy of a .375H&H - especially at close range. Also, you should never aim at a bear's head. Even a black bear has nearly 6" of solid bone between its brain and you. Aim for the chest, try to burrow through to the heart. If it charges, well, hmm. Jump out of the way I guess :eek:h: ...or aim for an eye :eek7: FYI: The largest bear ever killed was a polar, it measured 11'-7" tall!!! :eek:h::eek:h::eek:h:

trj said:
Very nice! I would have been happy to give you an excuse to stop in Indiana. Next time!
-Absolutely!
 

·
M5 Extraordinare!
Joined
·
8,320 Posts
Wow! Sounds like you had an incredible time on your trip! I hope to do the same one day with my P-car.

I've got some competition photo-wise! On my 3 week long trip to China, I took 5,046 pictures totalling 16.3 GB. And on my 20 day long trip to Europe last summer I took 6,085 pictures totalling 49.3 GB(!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
atomic80 said:
I've got some competition photo-wise! On my 3 week long trip to China, I took 5,046 pictures totalling 16.3 GB. And on my 20 day long trip to Europe last summer I took 6,085 pictures totalling 49.3 GB(!)
And I thought I was odd taking close to 3000 pictures on my two week vacation in Hawaii last year.

It's certainly no effort to take 200 to 300 pictures per day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,099 Posts
Amazing trip and great pictures. FYI, the NC picture is Kings Mountain, a revolutionary war battle ground. I would have suggested to detour up to Asheville, NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway, the best drive in NC and western VA.

I do know of one vaction with more miles traveled. My brother in-law's grand parents, 70ish years old towed a 5th wheel trailer 19,000 miles from Michigan to Arizona to Alaska and through Canada back to Michigan. In Oregon (I think) the transmission died on their pickup. Instead of waiting a week for parts, he bought a new truck, breaking it in on the trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Truly great story and pics. Evidence that the beast was meant to be driven hard!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
And the shark. I remember you telling us to not ask about the shark, or something or other. See the picture that was in the car, of the obviously 'great white?' Nearly the last image in this version of your trip report. That was the point I remembered, for some reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
I have barely put on 11k in 2 years! WOW.

I have a couple of questions:
1) 11k and no tickets?
2) Why did you take the rack off for Road Atlanta? You really should have done 1 lap with it on, passing people:biggrinbounce:

Great Pics as always, thanks for sharing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Richard in NC said:
Amazing trip and great pictures. FYI, the NC picture is Kings Mountain, a revolutionary war battle ground. I would have suggested to detour up to Asheville, NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway, the best drive in NC and western VA.
-Thanks for the info. I'd like to go back and spend some time in the Carolinas. After all, it is my favorite style of bbq! We'd like to do the road trip thing again, but this time go straight along the south from Arizona to Georgia, then maybe back up through the Carolinas to Kentucky and up to Oshkosh, then across the top of the US to Washington. We'll see when we have time to do it.

KBK said:
And the shark. I remember you telling us to not ask about the shark, or something or other. See the picture that was in the car, of the obviously 'great white?' Nearly the last image in this version of your trip report. That was the point I remembered, for some reason.
-I saw it up near Redding, CA in a Michaels. Thought my friend would like it as he is into sharks and just had a little baby girl. I figured he could put it up by her crib :biggrinbounce:

gbogh3 said:
I have barely put on 11k in 2 years! WOW.

I have a couple of questions:
1) 11k and no tickets?
2) Why did you take the rack off for Road Atlanta? You really should have done 1 lap with it on, passing people:biggrinbounce:

Great Pics as always, thanks for sharing.
1) Nope. V1 rules! I did get pulled over once in North Carolina, after ignoring the V1 ouichbecause it was an old x-band signal, but that guy felt like letting me off with a warning after I pleaded that I thought I had been going very near the speed limit. I think I was doing about 70-75 in a 65, which isn't a severe violation.

2) I didn't want to unpack/repack the pod. There was a lot of stuff in there, and with the extra weight it would have been structurally unsafe to leave the pod on. I also doubt that Panoz would have let me on track with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
hey earl,

i've **avoided** opening your thread with your warning till i actually had some time to enjoy your annotated pictorial.

thanks for sharing! you and kristin sure know how to have a blast...

41 fill ups - hmmm - would that have been 400 fill ups in an e60?? ouich :rofl:

very nicely done, as usual.

jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
You sort of drove to Finland:)

Nice to read about your trip. Makes me hopeful, that perhaps one day my beast could actually make it 11K miles without "surgery". I had it hauled to BMW service today.
 
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Top