BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dinan bar is the first thing I did a bit over 3 years ago - you can't go wrong there. The other low cost suspension mod I will suggest is 10mm spacers for the front wheels.

If you are going to stay with the 8" wheel up front - throw some 10mm H&R Hub-centric spacers on the front. For somewhere around $130 you can get the spacers and the longer lug bolts. I know there are some folks that might roll their eyes but this will noticeably improve turn-in (and reduce understeer).
Can anybody else comment on OldRanger's suggestion? Would it make sense to also add camber plates with the spacers?

Thanks... Richard...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i run 15mm spaers on the front of mine and must say the turn-in is noticeably better...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maybe he's thinking the wider track will help....but I dont think thats a good way to help handling.
I'm not making the recommendation based on concept. My recommendation is based my observations after I installed them on a suspension that I hadn't changed on in almost three years. On my suspension (see sig.) the spacers helped keep the car flat in turns. This benefits traction - our car already suffers from inadequate negative camber on the front and when the body rolls - fuggedaboutit - you're going to have understeer. That said, adding spacers has pros and cons to handling (steering effort, return to center will become less ideal).

If you want to reduce understeer on this car without spending a ton of $ - go by a Dinan rear bar, install it and set it on the middle hole. It will help. Then spend another $130 on the 10mm spacers and tell us whether or not you think it helps. I'm going to the track next month to confirm what I'm feeling on the street. Others recommend going to studs when you add 10mm spacers - this may be a good recommendation, but when I talked to sales at Turner Motorsports they didn't suggest this.

:cheers:
Andy

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not making the recommendation based on concept. My recommendation is based my observations after I installed them on a suspension that I hadn't changed on in almost three years. On my suspension (see sig.) the spacers helped keep the car flat in turns. This benefits traction - our car already suffers from inadequate negative camber on the front and when the body rolls - fuggedaboutit - you're going to have understeer. That said, adding spacers has pros and cons to handling (steering effort, return to center will become less ideal).

If you want to reduce understeer on this car without spending a ton of $ - go by a Dinan rear bar, install it and set it on the middle hole. It will help. Then spend another $130 on the 10mm spacers and tell us whether or not you think it helps. I'm going to the track next month to confirm what I'm feeling on the street. Others recommend going to studs when you add 10mm spacers - this may be a good recommendation, but when I talked to sales at Turner Motorsports they didn't suggest this.

:cheers:
Andy
Thanks Andy. My Dinan rear sway bar and TCD Brackets are on the way. I think I will do that first and see how it is on the track. Most of my M5 driving is non highway and I have been really happy with the front tire wear which, if anything, has a very small bias to the inside. Good input.

Richard...

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Others recommend going to studs when you add 10mm spacers - this may be a good recommendation, but when I talked to sales at Turner Motorsports they didn't suggest this.
There's no reason to go to studs for strength as that post implied -- they won't be any stronger assuming you have the same material properties and enough thread engagement in the hub. That threaded interface in the hub could care less if the load it is seeing is coming from a bolt head or a threaded end with a nut on it. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts