BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
17,000 miles ago I replaced my rod bearings at OMS in Oceanside, CA.

The guys that know me, know I track my cars and drive them hard. With that said, my cars are never abused or put away dirty.

A year-ish ago, I probably had the highest lead numbers on the board at 65ppm.

My start up sequence and driving style have remained the same, as well as my use of Motul 7100 10w60.

My original thread:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/290497-rod-bearings-84-000-miles.html

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice report, since the rod bearing replacement how many track days have you been too? Are you using TWS 10w-60?
I ran a weekend in Pahrump last February with a client of mine that's a member. "Life" got in the way of my track days last year; thankfully everything is back to normal this year.

What is not reflected in the 17,000 miles is that my e60 is my DD when I drive. I only drive two or three days a week. The other days, I fly -- already over 100,000 this year already. I also put miles on our other vehicles: 12,000 on my LC and 6,000 on my e39 m5.

The 17,000 miles are from carving canyons and commuting up to NorCal, Nevada, and AZ. My s85 will see 7000 and 8000 RPMs on a regular basis, which is why my oil change interval is every 3,000 miles.

Regarding oil...as I stated in my original post, I do not use Castrol TWS.

I hope that answers your questions.

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have many people seen high lead before bearing failure?
I just don't know if you change your oil frequently, it will show up in time... Maybe it's the trending on your vehicle?
Woody- looks like your in a good place now and love how you run hard and keep your program A+

·
Registered
984 Posts
Nice work Woody, wish I knew where my M5 is at. I am sure it is in good hands.

:sad2:

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
For those asking what lube is being used, I found a pic for reference.
Nice! ///Meat...all we need is Unicorn ///Meat! We should hit up Slater's 50/50 for our next dinner!

Nice work Woody, wish I knew where my M5 is at. I am sure it is in good hands.

:sad2:
Thanks! And Thanks for texting the pics from Historics (and rubbing it in)...it looks like you were having fun with your Son. BTW...love the snarl of your new Beast!

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Nice report Woody, I got mine back a month ago after 10k miles and I had no wear also....must be the special unicorn stuff I am using LOL!!

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice report Woody, I got mine back a month ago after 10k miles and I had no wear also....must be the special unicorn stuff I am using LOL!!
Wow. That is the best I have ever seen on one of those reports

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks guys. As both of you know, replacing the rod bearings is cheap cheap money in the bigger picture.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
How much did the bearing change cost?

Varies a lot by your location and the hardware you choose to use.

For Silicon Valley, I got quotes from two of the most popular BMW indy shops. For parts and labor, one quoted $3500 OTD and the other quoted $4000 OTD, both shops using WPC treated rod bearings and ARP bolts and include oil. For reference, both shops charge $3000 for the e9x M3 for a rod bearing job and the same type of hardware.

Price breakdown...hardware parts alone cost at least $1200 (WPC treated rod bearings being $700 and ARP bolts being $500). I'm not sure what other parts may be needed. Then you add on 9qts of oil which is about $150 or so. The rest is all labor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
119 Posts
I really hate to bring this up, but my understanding is that the 702 & 703 bearings no longer contain any lead. Going forward after a bearing change with oil analysis looking at lead content is probably pointless. The fact that lead levels are so low in this report would tend to confirm that. There is a thread in another forum where an engine builder compared the hardness of the old and new revision bearings and the new ones checked out at four times the hardness of the old. This would also tend to confirm the new bearing composition.

I know the manufacturing industry is trying to remove lead everywhere humanly possible from new products. In the U.S. there was a ban on selling minibikes, scooters and small dirt bikes that were intended for kids because they came with evil lead-acid batteries. This was to comply with the "No lead in children's products" law. They finally made an exception after many dealers were forced to close their doors.

Personally I'm not sure how I feel about the new bearings. Is four time harder a good thing or a bad thing for these engines. There is a reason lead has been used in bearings for decades. The soft outer layer is meant to be a "sacrificial" layer in the presents of small dirt particles or momentary lack of lubrication. Until someone has 20K+ miles on a new set of bearings and does a tear down, we aren't going to know.

I believe the 2010 motors shipped with the new bearings. Troy, have you torn down any 2010 engines yet?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Great question, many assume that change is always to introduce a fix or provide a better material, however only BMW knows the reason for the change, the proof will be in a tear down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts