BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of weeks ago I filled up my car at the local Chevron with Supreme grade gas which, per Federal mandate, may contain up to 10% Ethanol. Proceeded to work, driving between appointments before parking the car for a couple of days as I had to use my Jeep to transport items between my office and new townhouse project I'm selling. Three days later, jump in the car and go to start it ... and it shudders before shutting down. Try again. Same bloody result but this time I'm rewarded with a battery warning light. Try a third time and it shudders but stays running so I pull it out of the garage to warm up. Of course I'm thinking the car's getting even with me for driving the mistress (my Jeep) around the last couple of days. Sufficiently warmed up to not be shaking anymore I drive to the office. Everything seems fine. A couple of hours later I head off for an appointment and just as I get on the highway the car gives me a warning shake before throwing up a check engine light and not letting me use SPORT or go over 3,000RPM without threatening to shut down. Needless to say I nurse the car to the appointment and then head back to my local dealership. After explaining the issue to the Service Manager I leave the car with them for the rest of the weekend.

Monday rolls around and there is nothing wrong with the car. Nothing. Oil and fluids - good. Battery and electrical - good. Etc. Etc. Oddly though, one Tech takes the car out and reports nothing wrong. Next Tech takes the car out and goes through everything I've experienced. Repeat a couple of more times and everybody feels stupid not knowing what's going on. Until I remember all the articles about why Canada shouldn't follow the U.S.'s lead in mandating 10% Ethanol in gas warned by none other than Chevron and BMW among others.

So as a test, I take the car out - which seems to be running fine with only a half tank left - and fill it up at the same Chevron but from a different pump (just in case the tank that fed the original pump had an issue). Drive away. No problems. One block down the road though and it's hoopty time again as my car feels like a hillbilly jalopy going down the road. Test result: Chevron Supreme grade gasoline's "may contain up to 10% Ethanol" is buggering my car like an unwanted cellmate.

What am I going to do, you ask? Well I'm ear to ear smiles as I now will be paying for Super Supreme which does not contain any Ethanol to keep my car from bucking me out of my seat. And to the Ethanol lobbyists and buttered politicians on both sides of the border I send you a big f*ck you for doing what the oil retailers and car manufacturers warned against.

I really hope the Super Supreme works and my rant can be over ouich

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was going to post a thread asking if anyone had problem with SP95/E10 (10% ethanol), because the SP98 will be in short supply in coming years in France... On a French government site (Ministère des transports, ministry of transports?), they said that all BMW models after 01/01/98 is compatible with E10, which is obviously not...

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Any fault codes ?

If it isn't the fuel, which I highly doubt, but what do I know about fuel across the pond ? !

I suspect you have Vanos Solenoid issues.

B8,B9, 71 or 72....

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have serious doubts about the fuel being the issue..My car has run almost exclusively with 10% ethanol Sunoco Ultra 94 for 4 years...check vanos, cps, plugs and filters..What Peake codes does it throw when it goes to limp..?

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
I have serious doubts about the fuel being the issue..My car has run almost exclusively with 10% ethanol Sunoco Ultra 94 for 4 years...check vanos, cps, plugs and filters..What Peake codes does it throw when it goes to limp..?
Agree. My runs on 10% Ethanol almost exclusively as well without a hitch. These cars would run beautifully on E85 with a different tune and better fuel pump/lines. 10% Ethanol certainly should be within the ECU's ability to adjust by richening the mixture. Your problem almost certainly lies elsewhere.

--Peter

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I think your problem lies elsewhere than fuel. My car runs almost exclusively on Sunoco Ultra 93 which can contain up to 10% ethanol and I've never experienced such problems. I believe BMW even reports that there is nothing wrong with running up to 10% ethanol which is why I avoid BP which can be up to 15%. If I were you I'd start checking other things. Throttle position sensors, MAFs, fuel filter, pump, etc.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
fill it up at the same Chevron but from a different pump (just in case the tank that fed the original pump had an issue).

How are you sure the pump wasn't fed by the same tank? I have never seen a gas station where different pumps are fed by different tanks. Rather, the individual grades have separate tanks that feed all the pumps.

I vote bad gas.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I would have to agree, that my M5 runs well on 10%E. In the Midwestern US almost all gas is 10% ethanol and "supposedly" some BP gas can run as high as 15% ethanol, but I've just heard that at car shows, online forums, and from automotive enthusiasts and can't find any supporting evidence in print. There is a Shell station around here that sells "pure gas" 93 octane (ethanol free) and I haven't noticed any difference in the way my Beast runs on it. I wonder why the Midwest, where corn is plentiful, also has the most ethanol free gas pumps? I also filled up once on SUNOCO purple 110 racing gas and my M5 ran very strong (I think part of it was phsychological), however at $6.99 a gallon I feel it was a waste of money since the E39 M5 ECU only recognizes up to 95 octane????
This site has a list of all the ethanol free/pure gas stations in the US and Canada. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada You'll notice that ethanol free gas is almost impossible to find in Alaska, California and New York.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Jim, make sure that 110 was unleaded. $6.99/gal could turn into 3x that when you've got to replace theLambda sensors that the lead killed.

·
Registered
924 Posts
It is possible that your gas station got water in the tanks (which is attracted to the Ethanol). You might try Siphoning out the bad gas then refilling at a comletelty different gas station.

The following from the web site for Stabil. Obviously some of it is self serving however Ethanol is a major problem in Marine applications. I had huge problems with Ethanol in my boat so now I go out of my way to get gas that has no ethanol.

Deprecated Browser Error
Everything you need to know about the Ethanol in your fuel and your equipment!

When it comes to Ethanol-blended gasoline, and the effects it can have on fuel systems and your equipment, you most likely have more questions than answers. Below is a list of articles and links, providing you the “411”on Ethanol to help answer all of your Ethanol-related questions - from the history of Ethanol–blended fuels, to helpful tips on how to protect your equipment from the damaging effects ethanol can cause.
<FORM id=main method=post name=main action=/engine_care/411onethanol.aspx>

http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/Daily/Pages/ND0622102.aspx

</FORM>

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ethanol(like all short chain alcohols) are hygroscopic, that is, they attract water which can cause problems- though it does sound as though the M5s here do well with 10% EtOH.
Good to know since Chevron has gone to ethanol and they are my preferred gasoline.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Sounds a bit like a battery that has amps but low volts. Before you start the car after it has rested go to the battery volt test on the secret menu and see what it says should be above 12.2 my guess would be you will see 11.something.
When the comp boots with low volts weird things happen and even when the alt puts out the right volts it does not cure the problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ethanol destroyed my Boats fuel pump, $1046.00. Installed this weekend, up yours tree huggers.:grrrr:
Up yours to the corn and sugarcane lobbyists, too.

Reactions: Feld1128

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
See the thread about going from >600hp to just a nip under 900, THANKS to ethanol. Up yours folks who make affordable race fuel unaffordable!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any fault codes ?

If it isn't the fuel, which I highly doubt, but what do I know about fuel across the pond ? !

I suspect you have Vanos Solenoid issues.

B8,B9, 71 or 72....
Apart from the check engine light, no. Local BMW dealership - whom I have a great relationship with - did the diagnosis. No fault codes at all.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Ya boats make M5 look cheap don't they. Most marinas I go to don't have ethy fuel due to being around so much water sucks it up real well.
Must be a nice boat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds a bit like a battery that has amps but low volts. Before you start the car after it has rested go to the battery volt test on the secret menu and see what it says should be above 12.2 my guess would be you will see 11.something.
When the comp boots with low volts weird things happen and even when the alt puts out the right volts it does not cure the problem.
How do I go to the secret menu and then find the battery volt test?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
1 - 20 of 65 Posts