BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger rear tire is showing steel cords on the inside edge of the tire. The drivers side rear is wearing more normally. Any ideas on what is to blame for this strange wear on this tire. the car does not drive like it is out of balance or allignment and i always monitor the pressure. Any ideas?

:sad2:
ty

·
Registered
962 Posts
A long shot, and unlikely to be the cause;

but I've found to my cost that when 4 up with a full boot; AND giveing it some on country lanes;

that the grinding sound is not the mud gards, but the rear tyres on the body work.

Only the pasanger rear was effected, and resluted in some rubber shards hanging off from the outside edge.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Maybe a bad control arm bolt or bushing? On another thread BozM5 suffered this problem and thought it was the sway bar brackets, but it turned out to be a control arm failure on the right side (same side as yours). Wonder if there was a bad batch? In any event, change that tire and get to the bottom of this right away.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need4Spd said:
Maybe a bad control arm bolt or bushing? On another thread BozM5 suffered this problem and thought it was the sway bar brackets, but it turned out to be a control arm failure on the right side (same side as yours). Wonder if there was a bad batch? In any event, change that tire and get to the bottom of this right away.
Tires are on the way from Tire Rack....now another dam visit to the dealer! The car was there 5000 miles ago for the clutch to be replaced and I had them check and inspect the whole suspension which they said was fine.

27,000 miles and I will now be on my third set of tires.

Pain in the ***!!!!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got home took one more look and surprise!!!!!!!! Broken passengers side rear sway bar mount! I thought the car was handling like sh!t. Now i know it was riding bad. Oh well she is at the dealer today and they will now have to give me two new rear tires for the premature wear put on mine!! Saved me $600 on new rear tires by looking one more time under the car. With this repair will the car need a new allignment?

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
A broken swaybar mount couldn't really effect tire wear that badly.

I'd suggest getting the car aligned anyway - the costs are neglible when compared to increased tire wear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have more wear on the passenger rear tire as well... however i believe it is due to driving habits. When accelerating briskly from a stoplight, especially with "Sport" mode, it's easy to break the tires loose. I have a lot more opportunity to get on the gas when making a right hand turn, and since the inside driving tire always spins first when cornering... I get more tire wear on the passenger rear. I am not talking about going around corners in a cloud of smoke either... my DSC light flashes "on demand" in 1st gear. How much wear differential do you have between the two rear tires?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
CarbonBeast said:
I have more wear on the passenger rear tire as well... however i believe it is due to driving habits. When accelerating briskly from a stoplight, especially with "Sport" mode, it's easy to break the tires loose. I have a lot more opportunity to get on the gas when making a right hand turn, and since the inside driving tire always spins first when cornering... I get more tire wear on the passenger rear. I am not talking about going around corners in a cloud of smoke either... my DSC light flashes "on demand" in 1st gear. How much wear differential do you have between the two rear tires?
The drivers side rear is pretty even but the passenger side is no tread from the middle of the tread to the inside edge with steel belts showing on the inside edge. Who knows? I was assuming the sway bar bracket is the culprit but maybe something else is up. In the past the centers of both rear tires go before the inside or outside tread. Smooth as butter in the center of the tread past the wear bars but the inside and outside tread was still good. That should be normal wear pattern for these cars.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Broken sway bar brackets may be a symptom, but unlikely the cause of the uneven wear. Another member had a similar thread on this recently and he swore it was the brackets. But it turned out to be something amiss in the suspension arms themselves.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had this issue when I had a broken anti-roll bar, so I don't think it's out of the realms of impossibility...2 new Contis AND a new ARB :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts