BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this thought while reading a 1M thread. They have being getting plaques or ignition rings to the effect of '1 of 740', representing the 740 sold in the US.

In various places I have read that approximately 9,000 E60 M5s were sold over the lifespan in the USA and that 6 speed manuals were less than 10% of the total. Where can this be verified? If this is true, and since the 6sp was US only, that would make it very rare indeed!

How many BMW models have sold less than 1,000 units worldwide? (not counting all the silly UK M3 'Edition' models over the years)

·
Registered
228 Posts
The 6 sps are very rare that's why I have one. That and I think auto cars are for women drivers sorry all you SMG lovers out there. That's just how I look at it. Dont kill me i know there are a lot more of you guys then me. I had a F1355 and took it back the same week to get a 6sp and I never looked back.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I also opted for the 6 speed manual because of the joy of driving a manual transmission. If I were to primarily track the car, I would consider an SMG as that's where I see that it really shines.

I did a search on the web and was able to find this site. I'm not sure how accurate the data, but according to this site there were 1,364 E60 M5's sold in North America with a manual transmission.
BMW M Registry - FAQ E60 + E61 M5

·
Registered
561 Posts
I believe there were only 500 6spds brought to the US. Mine accounts for one of them.

I opted for a 6speed because of plans to supercharge the car later on. I was afraid to become another SMG failure statistic

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I was told that only 200 was produce a year for the 4 year run it had. that is why I got one plus I love to down shift my self......

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
count me in too. i looked long and hard for a 6 speed and that's the only thing i've driven all my life. it feels great to see stats like this. makes me feel my car is super rare, or not LOL.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
6 speeds and 3 pedals for me!

I think I remember reading that, of the 6 speeds, they only made 104 in my color. It took me quite a long time to find a 6 speed.

I almost picked up a SMG, and but I really wanted a 6 speed. The engineer in me believes, in the long run, the 6 speeds will hold more value -- less can go wrong. My left foot and my right hand will NEVER out shift an SMG, but I don't care. If I blow up my transmission with a poor rev-match and poor heel and toe, I have only myself to blame.

No SMG = No Red/Yellow Cog = No problems! :noSMG:

·
Registered
164 Posts
After doing some research on the numbers found from bmwmregistry.com, it appears that the numbers are true. Alex Palevsky started the site and has been a writer for Bimmer magazine for 14 years. It does not break it down to the United States, but the manual production numbers for North America are the following:

E60 M5: 1,364 cars plus 6 pre-production models
E63/E64 M6: 701 cars

That's a total of 2071 potential E6x M cars in North America with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After doing some research on the numbers found from bmwmregistry.com, it appears that the numbers are true. Alex Palevsky started the site and has been a writer for Bimmer magazine for 14 years. It does not break it down to the United States, but the manual production numbers for North America are the following:

E60 M5: 1,364 cars plus 6 pre-production models
E63/E64 M6: 701 cars

That's a total of 2071 potential E6x M cars in North America with a manual transmission.
Off to get a new key chain, and have it engraved on the back "1 of 1364" :)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The 6 sps are very rare that's why I have one. That and I think auto cars are for women drivers sorry all you SMG lovers out there. That's just how I look at it. Dont kill me i know there are a lot more of you guys then me. I had a F1355 and took it back the same week to get a 6sp and I never looked back.
the smg isn't an automatic so why would you apologize?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the smg isn't an automatic so why would you apologize?
Ha ha, Fuddy, please inform BMWUSA, Ebay, Cars.com and Autotrader that it is way overdue that they include "M-DCT" and "SMG" in their list of transmission options for search criteria. It is annoying when you get 10-30hits for a particular model with "manual" selected and only 1 or 2 of them are 6speeds!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
FYI...Sequential MANUAL Gearbox

"...The 7-Speed SMG III Was Developed From Scratch To Work In Concert With The S85 Motor And Was Not Adapted From An Existing Manual Gearbox. It is capable of shift times that are 20 percent faster than those of the earlier SMG II transmission. Gear ratios for the SMG III are as follows: 3.99 (1), 2.65 (2), 1.81 (3), 1.39 (4), 1.16 (5), 1.00 (6), 0.83 (7). The final drive ratio is 3.62:1.

Due to market pressure from North American customers, BMW introduced a manual transmission option for E63 M6 coupes and E64 M6 convertibles sold in the United States and Canada beginning with March, 2007 production. The ZF Type G 6-speed manual gearbox was shared with the 650i and carried over to the M6 coupe and convertible with the same internal ratios: 4.05 (1), 2.40 (2), 1.58 (3), 1.19 (4), 1.00 (5), 0.87 (6). However, it retained the significantly shorter 3.62:1 final drive from the SMG-equipped M6."

-edited from M6 Registry
Cheers and please enjoy your manual transmissions just as we enjoy our SMG's!!
:wroom::wroom::wroom:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Off to get a new key chain, and have it engraved on the back "1 of 1364" :)

LOL you may be able to use "1 0f 130" if you take into account colors. 10 colors made so approx 10% of them were your color which makes it even more unique. Pick me up a key chain while you're there and i will pay you for it at the next C&C.

+1 for me on the 6sp. Got my car to drive not race so the .2 of a sec difference in shift speed is a non issue. Love the clutch and control.:checkeredflag:

·
Registered
94 Posts
only a 100 in white were made from 2007-2010....I believe that only about 30 ever made with black interior and 6sp..I have one of them =D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have 1 of the 100 Alpine White Manuals with Indy Red Interior. I LOVE my Rare M5 :wroom:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts