BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys it's been a month since I converted to using m1 0w40 on my 86k miler m6. Main reason for changing was I kept getting vanos solenoid noise and ended up having to bleed them every few weeks.

I have had the solenoids changed, rod bearings, vanos pump and oil cooler but the noise remained, so for the cost of the oil I thought I may aswel give it a shot!

Well, I can report that so far I've had no vanos noise, I haven't had to top up the oil, the car warms up slightly faster, oil temp remains the same as 10w60, the car seems to idle quieter and it feels like the car revs a bit faster.

Overall I'm very happy with the change and the best bit is no embarrassing vanos rattle!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have read it's safe to change to 0w40 plus it's getting pretty cold here in the uk so it has extra benefit of cold start protection.

I do very little miles on the car (4000-5000 miles a year) and mainly short journeys which is why I think I was getting the vanos rattle. For my driving style and the amount of driving I do I think this is the perfect oil for me.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
It will warm up quicker because the oil weight is different :) It might be an issue for people living in warmer areas or who are driving more. I know it does make a difference for our cars here in Los Angeles, especially when we are sitting in traffic for hours.

·
4,308 Posts
It will warm up quicker because the oil weight is different :) It might be an issue for people living in warmer areas or who are driving more. I know it does make a difference for our cars here in Los Angeles, especially when we are sitting in traffic for hours.
sitting in traffic is not an issue for either 30, 40, 50, or 60 weight regardless of ambient temperature. My car (albeit an S62) kept oil+coolant temps in the low 90s under the baking sun with an ambient temp of 105C.

the warmer climate allows for faster warm up with thicker oil which encourages more aggressive driving. Not that you'll be doing hot laps in your neighborhood, but you will have a higher tendency to reach higher in the rpm range and carry a higher engine speed. In a warm climate you no longer need that cold crank flow, because the cold start oil temp is already 18C in warm climate.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Over the summer I did notice more oil burned switching from LM 10-60 to M1 0-40, but I guess that's to be expected. It seemed that steady highway driving seemed to suck down quite a bit more oil than before.

·
Registered
368 Posts
the warmer climate allows for faster warm up with thicker oil which encourages more aggressive driving. Not that you'll be doing hot laps in your neighborhood, but you will have a higher tendency to reach higher in the rpm range and carry a higher engine speed. In a warm climate you no longer need that cold crank flow, because the cold start oil temp is already 18C in warm climate.
My experience is the opposite. I'm very consistent on my warm up and typical route...M1 warms up considerably quicker then the 10W-60.

I found no difference in oil consumption...typically 1 liter per 5000 miles.

Admittedly, I'm not the primary driver...I'm the one that tends to seek out 8200 rpm at least once per drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts