BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just measured front rotors, 1mm remains. I was sort of surprised, because they don't have a very big outer lip. (unless my gauge is off) How many miles are left on the rotors with average driving?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Depends on how it will be driven.
At full thickness the m5 rotors have enough thermal mass to absorb the heat of a 150 mph stop and remain dimensionally stable using OEM brake pads.

Minimum thickness as specified by the BMW M division Engineers is likley the point where M type braking performance is no longer assured.

There is a wide range of use parameters defined by "average" driver; If you drive like Grandma in her Buick, the m6 will be due for the wrecking yard due to other problems prior to rotor failure.

If you drive like me with DTC 60 Hawk pads on track a rotor failure could be around the corner.

I once had a rotor explode on another vehicle using performance friction pads during a high speed stop, it was still above minimum thickness but rotor could not deal with that sudden a heat rise high performance brake pads can cause

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. It looks to me, that no more than 2 mm has been taken off the rotors. Is that all they give you? 3mm to use? Happen to know how thick the rotor starts out as?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just found the answer. rotors start life at 36mm thick. so they give you 1.6mm to burn.

Reactions: cold m3

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Car&Driver claimed the e60 m5 has the best brakes they ever tested, At 38-lbs the rotors are overkill, twice the weight of z51 c8 rotors, in my opinion some big brake kits for e60 m5 are a downgrade giving up the thermal mass that allowed the Ring Taxi to safely haul down from high speeds time and time again with 4 people on board

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Rotors wear out significantly slower than pads. I usually go through 2-3 sets of pads before rotors need replacing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts