BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the m5 at a local RWYB at RAF Portreath at the weekend,times are not available til the end of the week. I know the m5 isnt strickly a sprint car but felt it should of been faster. What sort of times should be expected for a all but standard 3.6 on 245/40x18 rear tyres in hot conditions?????
Very enjoyable day though! had a lot of fun,blew away the sierra cossies and an evo 5. Biggest problems were limiting the wheelspin off the start line,but dropped the tyre pressures to about 26psi and tried a little less aggression and got a lot quicker! Biggest surprise was my brothers e36 B2.5 Alpina with NOS,if he got away before i did i couldnt catch it!!!!:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Geach said:
I ran the m5 at a local RWYB at RAF Portreath at the weekend,times are not available til the end of the week. I know the m5 isnt strickly a sprint car but felt it should of been faster. What sort of times should be expected for a all but standard 3.6 on 245/40x18 rear tyres in hot conditions?????
Very enjoyable day though! had a lot of fun,blew away the sierra cossies and an evo 5. Biggest problems were limiting the wheelspin off the start line,but dropped the tyre pressures to about 26psi and tried a little less aggression and got a lot quicker! Biggest surprise was my brothers e36 B2.5 Alpina with NOS,if he got away before i did i couldnt catch it!!!!:M5thumbs:
------------------------------

sounded like a lot of fun, I went to one in Sweden held by a magazine called BilSport (Car Sport), there were thousands of people there and some unbelievable machines, best time I think was just under 10 seconds. These guys had spent alot of money on their rides.

Its amazing how much money and work needs to be done to bring your time down by 2-3 seconds.

Not sure what my car does it in - but I am hoping for the 13second mark or there abouts, dont know if I will ever give it a go though but would be interesting to know. I hear the Gtech Pro is not as accurate as I thought it was either.

The times for each run were available immediately after - they were using laser equipment. LEt us know what your times were.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
dalius said:
my is 13.79:) with 350.1bhp and 458nm.
-------------

wow thats good, you have many Nm dalius - what type of mods have you had?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
dalius said:
nothing:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
all mods will com i the future:happybirt
------------------

but you must have mods - standard hp for the 3.8 is 340hp and 400Nm...... :confused2

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
dalius said:
I have a couple of questions:

Where did you go to record your 1/4 mile times?
Which rolling road did you use to get your power and torque outputs?

I am interested in knowing how healthy my car is and also want to give it some welly, legally, 1/4 mile seems a good place to start.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
dalius said:
Factory is 340/347Bhp (Think it's the old DIN/SAE 1.0139 difference even though it doesn't add up!) and 295lb/ft which is 399.51nm

Several cars in last years 10 car dyno meetup scored near factory figure, so no issue with a 350, as this is within tolerance of error, especially is this likely an uncorrected figure for weather. (A 1998 LS1 showed 283bhp one day and 299bhp two days later, 20 degrees F cooler)

I suspect that the figure of 458nm (which is 337.76lb/ft) for a stock engine ten years plus old is wrong, almost certainly incorrect conversion from rw power to crank estimate. Remember all factory figures are taken from the crank.

The quarter mile time is quite doable I suspect.

13.79 was the time you reported.

Performance car got a 14.4 at 102mph in 1995 with a 3.8

Car and Driver reported 14.2 at 99Mph in 1990, then Motor Trend got 14.9, also in 1990 and both with a 3.6 car.

I suspect that most quarter mile times were obtained on plain tarmac rather than the very very grippy surface on a real dragstrip, so my little brain reckons you could get more power down with todays tyres and low pressure and a run-in engine on a rubber coated dragstrip, than they got way back then with original tyres and new engines for a magazine test!

Anyway, it's the real world tests that matter, posting a scanned 1/4 mile timeslip is real, dyno results are far too variable!

My two cents.

Ivan.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not that happy! Reaction times were quite good, 0.42 secs but overall times came out at about the late 15's/early16 sec. mark! i could walk it in that! There is another event in Sept so ill go back and have another go,but surely these times cant be right????? I was finishing probably 3 to 4 car lengths in front of the Sapphire Cos and at least 2 if not 3 in front of the Mitsubishi evo 5

:confused2 :confused2 :confused2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts