BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Gustav said:
Without Launch Control:

13.4 s
Correct me if I am wrong, but these are numbers consistent with a stock E39 M5. Members were getting 13.4 or better with their E39 M5s without Launch control as well.
:confused:

Also if the e60 M5 is getting 0-60 4.5 seconds, then the M6 Convertible has to be slower than this number due to the added weight... Which will not dethrone the SL 55. I was hoping for more impressive numbers, in a straight line test.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I bet times go down significantly when people get their M5s on acceleration-optimized drag strip surfaces and where they first deflate and heat their tires. Time slips from stock E55 owners, for example, regularly are better, sometimes significantly, from magazine review stats.

Tom

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
bernhtp said:
I bet times go down significantly when people get their M5s on acceleration-optimized drag strip surfaces and where they first deflate and heat their tires. Time slips from stock E55 owners, for example, regularly are better, sometimes significantly, from magazine review stats.

Tom
, but most mags had the E39 M5 between 13-13.4 seconds on the quarter mile

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
We've seen mags with 0-100kms times as low as 4.3sec, and 0-60mph would be somewhat faster. The E39 M5 never approached this. Everyone, absolutely everyone, who has owned/driven the two says the new V10 (m5 and M6) is WAY faster, especially as speeds increase.

It will be interesting to see what BMW does with the M6 cabrio. Unless they do something special, expect it to be at least 400lbs more than the coupe. It may not take the SL55 at this weight.

Tom

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How heavy is a Carrera S ?

The MPH is the important figure - not the time.

These times are all slow compared to some of the cars I have run in the past also - but that isn't the point of this thread.

The BMW has an incredible Terminal Speed for such a heavy car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts