BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my 06 M6 I had the breakin service at 1200 miles (oil change). Do we need to do it for the X6M? Don't see anything on the manual that requires it.

Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I'd contact your selling dealer or local dealer and ask them for guidance. Record the information given and by whom because if things go wrong you don't want to void your warranty!

I'd guess it does require this service as it gives the dealer time to check wheel nuts etc aren't falling off or some other life threatning problem which is the main reason for these 1st services over and above the oil change.

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup. Just had it done for insurance. With a BMWCCA membership another 10% discount is not bad. $168 for the oil change.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Great. I beleivemsot mechanical thing that have oil changes it out a short while after they are new since the cogs etc are "shaved in" to fit each other and some particles needs to ble flushed out with the oil from when it was brand new.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Not sure on this as the engines are normally bench run (Dynoed) at the engine plant before assembly into the car?

I believe the 1st service to to make sure alls safe and they haven't left any thing loose (wheels nuts etc) or any major leaks plus all the brakes and tyres are scrubbed/bedded in before a new to the car driver/owner goes mad and skittles off into the country side. Its like a learning and bedding in period for both car and owner!

It doesn't hurt though...

Jay

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe that the truck would tell you if it needed it. From what I understand, part of the 1200 mile service on an M5/M6 is to reprogram the oil service reminder interval to the normal 13K-15K mile interval from the 1200 mile break-in service reminder..

If you check under the service menu in IDrive, if it says less than 1200 miles then you need it. If it says 13000 miles or so then not.

As others have suggested, it might be a good idea anyways even if it doesn't need it

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Just remember to tell the dealer not to reset the computer when you do in-between oil changes, so you still get the standard maintenace oil change per the regular schedule. Since here in the U.S. we already paid for the (of course BMW calls them free) maintenace - don't short change yourself. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts