BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some observations between my 2008 M6 and my 2008 M5. I only have a few hundred miles on the M5, but the differences are great. The cars have the same chassis, same engine, same tranny, but feel so different.

Build quality: Goes to the M5. My M6 had some torn leather, a discolored i-Drive, condensation in the headlight. I also had a few creeks when I would go up and down my driveway. The M5 is solid, no sounds. Winner: M5

Looks: Toss up. I like the coupe silhouette of the M6, but the M5 has a classic BMW sedan look that is second to none. Winner: Subjective

Sound: I think the M6's exhaust sounds deeper and throatier. The M5's is a bit more subdued. Winner: M6

The M6 feels and is lighter than the M5. The M6 is a true sport GT. Very powerful and hugs the road very well. The cabin feels more luxurious than the M5. The dash of the M6 meets leather and carbon fiber, while portions of the M5’s dash meet plastic and plastic looking and feeling wood. Winner: M6

Wheels and tires. I am upset that the M5 comes with Conti's and not the Michelin Pilot Sport tires that the M6 has. Also while the M5 wheels are nice, the M6 forged wheels are the best looking stock wheel I have ever seen, second to Ferrari. Winner: M6

Creature comfort goes to the M5. Vented seats, seating position and the active seats are amazing. If you cant find a comfortable seating position in the M5 than you don’t deserve to be sitting. Winner: M5

Door sills: They light up on the M6 and make it feel special. The M5's are nice, but don’t light up. Winner: M6.

HUD: The HUD in the M5 is so much better than in the M6. I now see why you guys voted to order it. To be honest the one in the M6 was awful and I regretted getting it. The one in the M5 is perfect, the color is better the location is spot on and it’s wonderful. Winner: M5

MPG: I swear the M5 gets better miles per gallon. I drove the same distance I normally drive in the M6 and the M5 had more gas in the tank. Winner: M5

That’s about it. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thanks for your views.

Yes, the M6 exhaust was designed to be sportier/noisier than the M5, according to M engineers. This is so the M5 can be used to transport fellow businessmen and have them be none the wiser as to the rocket ship they're in.

I like the M6 wheels, but feel the M5 wheels suit the M5 better. I call a tie here.

As regards weight, must just be the feel as they are only 100lbs apart.

·
Registered
967 Posts
HUD: The HUD in the M5 is so much better than in the M6. I now see why you guys voted to order it. To be honest the one in the M6 was awful and I regretted getting it. The one in the M5 is perfect, the color is better the location is spot on and it’s wonderful. Winner: M5

Can you explain this a bit more? How could it be so much worse?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I'm curious about that myself?

·
Registered
265 Posts
My guess is the position of the hud in the m6 is lesss than optimal. the dash shape is so different in this car and the windshield angle is very different. I didn't order the hud because I didn't want the huge hole in the dash. I also found the tach on the hud to be incredibly useless and although I liked the accuracy and quick read of the digital mph the overall experience of looking at the beautiful analog gauges more than offsets that benefit. My build quality seems great on my m6 with the exception of a small area well under the passenger door that is only noticable on a lift or if you are on the ground. BMW is going to repaint so no big deal. The interior in my M6 is miles ahead of the m5 in terms of quality. I do agree the m5 is a bit more comfortable but the sportiness and full leather feel of the m6 are near perfect.
I think they should build an "rs" or "x" model m5/6 that minimizes some of the creature comforts and lightens the care up. Both cars seem a bit clogged with "stuff".

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Here are some observations between my 2008 M6 and my 2008 M5. I only have a few hundred miles on the M5, but the differences are great. The cars have the same chassis, same engine, same tranny, but feel so different.

Build quality: Goes to the M5. My M6 had some torn leather, a discolored i-Drive, condensation in the headlight. I also had a few creeks when I would go up and down my driveway. The M5 is solid, no sounds. Winner: M5

Looks: Toss up. I like the coupe silhouette of the M6, but the M5 has a classic BMW sedan look that is second to none. Winner: Subjective

Sound: I think the M6's exhaust sounds deeper and throatier. The M5's is a bit more subdued. Winner: M6

The M6 feels and is lighter than the M5. The M6 is a true sport GT. Very powerful and hugs the road very well. The cabin feels more luxurious than the M5. The dash of the M6 meets leather and carbon fiber, while portions of the M5’s dash meet plastic and plastic looking and feeling wood. Winner: M6

Wheels and tires. I am upset that the M5 comes with Conti's and not the Michelin Pilot Sport tires that the M6 has. Also while the M5 wheels are nice, the M6 forged wheels are the best looking stock wheel I have ever seen, second to Ferrari. Winner: M6

Creature comfort goes to the M5. Vented seats, seating position and the active seats are amazing. If you cant find a comfortable seating position in the M5 than you don’t deserve to be sitting. Winner: M5

Door sills: They light up on the M6 and make it feel special. The M5's are nice, but don’t light up. Winner: M6.

MPG: I swear the M5 gets better miles per gallon. I drove the same distance I normally drive in the M6 and the M5 had more gas in the tank. Winner: M5

Not bad, for a new member..................:dunno:

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
The M5 is more aerodynamic than the M6...there is your fuel difference.....NOT, the drag coefficient is greater on the M5...who knows why you think the M5 gets better mileage....but yoooWho !!!

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Good morn Barry

Reactions: Barry Lausch

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think I got a bad M6. I also had a cooling fan under the passenger side that went bad.

Regarding the HUD in the M6. Mine was just poor. I would have a glare off the windshield of the box and the reflection of HUD was not very clear. Also it did not look as clean on the dash as the M5.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hey there Cosmos,

I made the exact opposite transition as you from an '08 M5 to an '08 M6. We should have just traded and saved us both money. GL with the 5er! They're both phenomenal cars for the money. That is interesting that the sills light up on the 6 but not on the 5. I too noticed that immediately.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes we should have.

To tell the truth, I think this board should have a car swapping service.

Members sign up and we just trade cars every so often. :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
The M5 is more aerodynamic than the M6...there is your fuel difference.....NOT, the drag coefficient is greater on the M5...who knows why you think the M5 gets better mileage....but yoooWho !!!
Incorrect. The Cd of the M5 is .31 compared to .32 of the M6 coupe and .34 of the convertible. Close as to make little difference but certainly not greater.

The door sills issue is likely for the same reasons of the exhaust- so it can remain a stealth businessman's express when needed. Personally I'd prefer the sills and exhaust from the M6. As for for the tires, I also can't wait to get my PS2. We should've been able to choose at sale..

Glad you're enjoying the HUD more. I never have the thing turned off, but occasionally I do have to glance at the white/re dials as they're so beautiful and move so freely.

Reactions: BD 997

·
Registered
370 Posts

I think i will call it a tie... i dont own either M5 or M6... i am planning to buy m6 but there is 1 thing i like bout the m5 more than the m6

VENTILATED SEATS i have no idea why the m6 doesnt have em but it should.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I just removed the charcoal filters....wow!!! Huge difference. I say more so of a difference than it was on the M6.

The M6 sounded a bit better, but to be honest I did not think it helped in power. M5 again different story. Really helped in power, responce and sound.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ok, so I just removed the charcoal filters....wow!!! Huge difference. I say more so of a difference than it was on the M6.

The M6 sounded a bit better, but to be honest I did not think it helped in power. M5 again different story. Really helped in power, responce and sound.
How come they same engine wow your right they are completely different cars.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
What?

• The M5 is normally aspirated and the M6 is turbocharged (and with Nitrous)!!!
  • The M5 has AWD and the M6 is FWD
  • M5 = 5.5 hookers (1.5 in trunk) and M6 = 4 hookers (1 in trunk)

Cosmos, STOP smoking drugs!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cosmos, STOP smoking drugs!
This coming from the guy who lives in the place where weed is legal to smoke.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i thought the m5 stock wheels are cast. are the wheels on the m6 forged and not cast?

Thanks for your views.

Yes, the M6 exhaust was designed to be sportier/noisier than the M5, according to M engineers. This is so the M5 can be used to transport fellow businessmen and have them be none the wiser as to the rocket ship they're in.

I like the M6 wheels, but feel the M5 wheels suit the M5 better. I call a tie here.

As regards weight, must just be the feel as they are only 100lbs apart.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
i thought the m5 stock wheels are cast. are the wheels on the m6 forged and not cast?

Yes this is true and Carl is wrong about the weight difference, it is more than 100 pounds.

And Cosmos smokes drugs.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, M5 wheels cast. M6 wheels forged.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts