BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
I may have had this same nightmare. I had posted about my issues and what I did to resolve.

First ask them if they could command each of the 8 gears manually with their diag tool (ISTA, INPA, DIS). If they can get 6, 7, and R. That also generally indicates you have sufficient hydraulic pressure, your solenoids work, and the gearbox mechanically functions. They should have tried this on their own, but let’s not make assumptions or jump to conclusions just yet.

Ask the shop specifically which adaptation is failing and positive confirmation on which ones passed and let us know. There are 3 and can be done independently, but they generally have to be done in order. There is a way to have the software do all 3 “as one” adaptation. So let’s get that clarified.

A) clutch valve characteristics
B) adapt transmission completely
C) clutch slipping point

Absent codes, Your symptoms generally indicate either gear strip wiring, bad slave, or bad PLCD. But need to know codes, and which adaptation is failing, cause it could be clutch control solenoid $$$$ or just low hydraulic pressure or entrapped air.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The SMG system is complex and doesn't get diagnosed without faults codes, the information about the failed adaptation with a screen shot of it's values. A screen shot of the status page for gears and clutch position. If you are here to get some new idea to be able to fix the issue you need to post the information requested. Otherwise you will be throwing parts till you may change the whole system to fix it. I have no idea why the shop changed the clutch position sensor.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts