BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 e60 M5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I had to replace my transmission. I have the core (without pump) and looking for someone to buy (a re-builder) I'm in AZ... It was stuck in reverse and never was able to solve.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Have you used the diagnostic software to unstuck and engaging other gears?
post a picture of the shifting rods at top.

·
Registered
2007 e60 M5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t have the trans with me. It’s currently at the indy where they will be installing another trans. I’ll be taking the core away with me after they are done.

I just got an update from the indy...Seems like they are having some issues with the used trans doing the adaption. Ugh.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Are you using your old trans hydraulic system? or you are installing other complete transmission.
Did they inspect the gear position wiring harness before installing the replacement transmission. This harness is known for failing the operation of the SMG system and fail the adaptation.
what step failed, what is the fault codes?

·
Registered
2007 e60 M5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The SMG pump was swapped over from my original trans. I will ask those questions tomorrow when I talk with them again.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Did they replace the slave cylinder? A bad slave can cause an adaptation error.

·
Registered
2007 e60 M5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No they haven't replaced the slave. I was talking to the shop, he had said it he started the adaption process and it stopped at 5th gear and the process won't go any further.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It seems you are having a gear position wiring harness issues. I would like to see a screen shot of the position of the shift rod from ISTA or INPA.

·
Registered
2007 e60 M5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@platii I will ask. Won't hear back until Monday.

Plenty of information all over the place [on the forums] on the SMG III, seems like the failure points are the pump, motor, slave and I see some mentions of replacing relays. This all started when I attempted to start the car, it flashed "N" and never got out of reverse. Never once I did I see any errors, warning messages prior to this going bad.

The HD pressure according the indy was in range of what he expected to see. Seems like these transmissions jam and never get out.

And of course the added bonus of no possible way to manually put the car in N when this car had to be towed. SMH.

The master tech at the indy, said when he was working for BMW as the shop foreman BMW never really gave the technicians an education on these transmissions. Hence I see over and over again, they throw parts at it, or simply just state to replace the entire assembly.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Gps is your problem, just fixed mine. Wouldn’t adapt 6/7 and the harness was the cause

Edit. My harness looked perfect too. After removing the cloth tape I found this disaster. You can’t replace the gps so I used 1/8 in. Heat shrink to shield the wire and epoxied the sensor side to air seal the ends. Sorry no pictures I was time limited.

·
Registered
251 Posts
And of course the added bonus of no possible way to manually put the car in N when this car had to be towed. SMH.
The sensor wiring defect can make the SMG ECU confused, because it needs to know what gear it is at. Now you want to know if the gearbox is defected and R shift is stuck, you can test that when you drop the box and remove the top hydraulic actuator block, you will see 4 shift rods, R/1st gears on the same shift rod and it is the first one from right facing the transmission, you can by hand return back the R gear to Neutral by pulling the shift rod if you facing forward of the transmission. (I doubt it is stuck in R , if it does then when they removed the block they have to put it in Neutral doing what I have stated before, because they have to align the actuating piston to the shift rods when they install the actuator block on the replacement transmission).
check my video on testing the shift rods.

·
Registered
2007 e60 M5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh. Great info! I will have to share this with the indy. I really appreciate all the knowledge on here!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Pay attention when they mount the actuator block after aligning the shift rod, the actuator piston ROUND face should be inserted in the U groove of the shift rods.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 e60 M5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The solenoid pack was never removed, so that was ruled out. They inspected the wiring and everything looks good there. Just seems like spinning my wheels here. If anyone is in AZ let me know.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Then it was not clear. I understood is you have a gearbox problem, then why you changed the transmission or the gearbox?.

·
Registered
2007 e60 M5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Correct transmission issue. Gearbox, not able to get out of Reverse. Got the dreaded blinking “N” when trying to get it to neutral to start. They originally replaced the clutch position sensor, figuring that was the issue. But it wasn’t.

Got a used trans which they installed and went through the adaption process, which failed. Would not go past 5th gear.

That’s where I’m at with this nightmare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts