BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been trolling here for a while and I'm about to pull the trigger, so I thought I'd put this up for debate before making my choice. I am in the market for an 07-08 coupe, blk/blk/carbon w/ heads-up. I have been contemplating between the 07 and 08, but I've set my limit at $50K. Here's the twist; I'm in the military and I'm currently stationed for a year in Korea. I just went back to the states after 6 months for the holidays. I found a Toyota dealer that was close to me that bought an 07 a few weeks ago for the owner's 25 year old son who also works at the dealership. Apparently they have too may Lambos and Bentleys because it's for sale. It has everything I want except for the upgraded headliner, but it does have chrome '08 19's. I got the dealer down to $48.5K and I won't have to pay tax since I'm an AK resident. Good deal??? I had to go back to Korea, but my wife can still pick the car up for me if I want it. I like that I've seen this car in person and it's close to home, so no shipping will be involved. But it'll be sitting for 5 months till I get home and move on to my next assignment to Hawaii.:1: I had been thinking that the 08 models might come down in price in the next 4-5 months and maybe I should wait. What would you do:

1. Pull the trigger now on an 07 blk/blk/carbon with SMG, heads-up, and chrome '08 wheels with 24,100 miles--that I've actually seen

or

2. Wait 4-5 months to see if the prices come down on the '08s with the same features and hope I get a good one based on pics/videos

I know about the lighting differences, but is the i-drive that much different in the 08?
Also, did all 07 models come with soft-close doors? I don't remember the 07 I drove having them, but I may have missed it.:dunno:

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, that 07 will have warranty till 11/12.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I always like to see/drive a car before I buy it so I'd probably prefer that. Prices will obviously come down in the next few months as depreciation continues as well as the likely announcement on the new M6 and possibly also due to higher crude oil prices (therefore higher gasoline). The problem with waiting for a depreciating asset is it will always make more sense to buy it tomorrow rather than today so you basically just have to bite the bullet at some point.

I don't think that price is great. I bought my '07 with 34,000 miles in December 2009 and I paid $50,500 so I think you can probably work him a bit lower.

That said the car's not particularly rare so you can wait until you get back and I'm sure there will be one in your area in your price range. Then you can purchase and enjoy the car.

I have an 07 and love it. Not sure about the iDrive or soft close doors. All I can tell you is mine does not have soft close doors. I guess if I was in your situation and was stuck abroad for 6 more months I'd hold off until I get back. The wife and an M6 might be a powerful enough combination to make you go AWOL.

Goodluck with your decision and remember no decision you make will be wrong, you'll enjoy the car either way. Finally, thank you for your service and happy new year.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the insight Eddie. You're right about the AWOL thing too! I'm wondering how you worked that price??? I looked at Edmunds, KBB and NADA and $48.5K is below current dealer retail on all three sites. He had it marked originally at $56.9K. What should I pay? The only think about holding off until I get back is that I'll only have a week or so before I move. it would be nice to have the vehicle already and have it shipped and waiting on me in HI. Not the most ideal situation for sure, but it's better than trying to find a good deal on an M6 on Oahu.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Ah, got it. Yeah, you have very particular set of circumstances that makes it more difficult. I just walked into the dealer and told them, look I want to pay this much out the door, tax, tag, title, etc. Call me when you can make it happen. Walked out, salesman chased me out to sit back down. The whole negotiation process was pretty quick. There are some people on here with access to auction records and I saw my car pop up on here and the dealer paid $47,750 for my car so I think we both did ok. Maybe someone can post where these cars have been trading in the autions lately.

One thing you forgot to mention, how many miles are on the 2007?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Eddie, Perillo BMW has an 07 with 15K miles for $49.9K right now, have you been there before? That 07 had just rolled 24,100 miles

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, sorry about that. I like that black one they have with 15K miles. I think I'm gonna call them and get a carfax and see which options it has. Mind looking at it for me if the deal looks good???

·
Registered
965 Posts
Damn, sorry about that. I like that black one they have with 15K miles. I think I'm gonna call them and get a carfax and see which options it has. Mind looking at it for me if the deal looks good???

sure, I should be in there late this week, early next week to pick up my car so I can look at it/test drive it/whatever else at that point. Just let me know.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Eddie!!!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
BMW did not change (chrome) the wheels during the production life of the E63/E64 M6, so there is no such thing as "08 chrome wheels". Someone has chromed the wheels, but they don't have a "model year" associated with them that I know of. So they are pulling your leg with that one.

2008 was when BMW did the "LCI" (which is a mid-life set of updates). On some BMW models the LCI is a very noticeable set of visual changes. In the case of the M6 the items changed (front amber reflectors moved out of the headlight assemblies, LED tailights, center rear brake light on coupes moved to the trunk, etc.) were minor but seem important to some potential buyers. There were iDrive (Nav/Entertainment) electronics changes too (and they continued to be updated until 2010). The engine and transmission did not change. Just make sure whatever year you get, that you have the latest software updates. LCI cars (08 - 10) are more desirable so you will pay more but get a little more on the back end when you decide to sell.

Waiting until you can really drive the car will save you as these beasts do depreciate. I'd wait the 4 - 5 months and see what you can find. But Alaska (if there is where your dealer is) is a small market for M6s (probably more so then even here in Hawaii), so you should be shopping nationwide if possible to get the car you want as it will have to be shipped out to anyway.

Good luck and perhaps I will see what you finally buy when it arrives here next summer. Aloha.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Mark. Kinda confusing, but I keep my AK residency due to the military, but my family currently resides in TX, so that's where we've been looking. I plan on keeping the car for the long haul, so depreciation isn't quite as important (I think). Yeah those wheels are chrome, but I think the dealer said they came from an '08 model. Will those software updates allow me to get all the latest features? Do I just have to fork over the cash for the update without a real problem with the car to get the updates? On my 745LI, I had numerous software updates without a hassle, but that was AK. I like the fact that I actually saw this 07 in person, that's why I'm thinking of buying now. If not, I'll try to wait for an 08 to pop up, but I'll have to take a leap and buy a car without driving/seeing it in person. One more thing; how long is the warranty 4 or 5 years/50,000? The 07 I'm looking at was bought in 11/07. Thanks again for your wisdom.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mark, I also see ur in HI. Which island? Are the insurance rates higher over there?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I live on Oahu, so I will likely see you (going to Hickam are ya?) When you PCS, you might have time to drive a car to the West Coast which would be a nice "honeymoon" with an M6. Let you enjoy open roads that you won't find out here.

My insurance is through GEICO but I'm an old fart with a clean record (which has nothing to do with my driving) and have other cars so while it is not cheap, I can pay the insurance bill every 6 months. When the time comes, I can PM you with the breakdown of what I pay. I don't think the insurance is any worse here than in other parts of the country.

The bumper to bumper warranty is 48 months, so an '08 gives you more warranty time but does depend on when it was first sold. So, an '07 that went unsold until 2008 might actually have more warranty months left than an '08 that sold early in the model year (but that's an exceptional case). If you buy an M6 from a dealer and it is "CPO'ed" (Certified Pre-Owned), make sure the software is up to date or else demand the update before driving away. Otherwise, if you can "find" something that you car does "wrong" that a software update will fix during the warranty period, BMW will update it at no charge but its better if that happens while you havethe car in for service for something else. You will find the Service Advisors more inclined to write it up in that case.

I also had a 745i from 2002 - 2006 (when I got a 645Ci).

:byee55amg

·
Registered
933 Posts
go for a 2008...especially since you have 4-5 months to look around. You will be able to find a good deal on one, no doubt!

I'm all about not "settling" and getting exactly what you want, just because you've seen this 07 and drove it, doesnt mean its the car for you.

BTW, that price is awful IMO. I paid $61 500 USD for my 2008 M6 with only 13 000 miles back in July 2010.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts