BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently managed to save up enough ££ to recently (couple months back) privately purchase an '07 M5. Today, just as I was entering the animal enclosure at Knowsley safari park I got an error indicator telling me that the drivetrain had a problem and to take it to the dealers for investigation (thanks god it wasnt in the chimp enclosure!!!).

to cut a long story short they have informed me that the first thing they need to do is update / reprogram the software and want to charge me for the privilege

the questions I have is that its only an 07 with 38K on the clock. Shouldn't a software update on a car of this age come at no charge?

(oh and the kicker, if this doesn't solve it then its the gearbox thats screwed!)

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where have you taken it for that opinion? All Northwest Uk stealers are exactly that. Give Andy and the guys a shout at BMTec in Manchester - had my software all done for 55 quid. Unfortunately after your 3 year warranty is up in the Uk you're knackered...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

John - the car is over three years old so is out of warranty now.

Sile - thanks for the advice. I took it to Blue Bell in Altrincham and to be fair to them they helped me out. They are not an authorised BMW dealer and his concner was that if he did the software for me and it turned out to be the box itself then I may not get any "good faith gesture" from BMW.

Its currently with Blue Bell in Wilmslow (the authorised dealer section of Blue Bell) having its software updated. cost is £166. but if this doens't work then......

thanks for the responses.

Will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer has upgraded the software and this has worked!!!!

Thank god or it could have been very expensive instead of just short £200.

Thanks everyone for the replies

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you have a FSBMW you can get the extended warranty.

I got it on mine £90 pm no excess (might of been £100 cant exactly remember)

As long as the mileage is under 60k its okay otherwise it gets really pricey!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts