BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a 2007 M5, that I just learned was in the BMW Performance Drive Center program in California. It was there for 2 years and 7,000 miles. Then it was sold at auction, and eventually went to an acquaintance of mine in Florida. It has 33,000 miles on it now.

The warranty and service history doesn't show anything suspect, and carfax looks clean. Always dealer maintained with no reported VANOS or SMG issues.

It will be exported to Canada, so CPO isn't an option (and it's not eligible because of the BMW Performance Drive Center Program) and extended warranties aren't readily available. I own a shop so I can get the parts and do the work cheaper than most.

I was planning on wiring the money this week and sending it up to Canada. What do you think? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a 2007 M5, that I just learned was in the BMW Performance Drive Center program in California. It was there for 2 years and 7,000 miles. Then it was sold at auction, and eventually went to an acquaintance of mine in Florida. It has 33,000 miles on it now.

The warranty and service history doesn't show anything suspect, and carfax looks clean. Always dealer maintained with no reported VANOS or SMG issues.

It will be exported to Canada, so CPO isn't an option (and it's not eligible because of the BMW Performance Drive Center Program) and extended warranties aren't readily available. I own a shop so I can get the parts and do the work cheaper than most.

I was planning on wiring the money this week and sending it up to Canada. What do you think? Thanks for your input.

BMW Performance Center cars are CPO'd.

I don't see a problem with it. Personally I would ask for a cheaper price since it was at the performance center, but I don't think anything would be "more" wrong with it. The cars are built to be driven hard. With that said, you should still be able to get it cheaper than a comparable car with the same miles that never went to the PDC.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Mixed thoughts. Topic has been covered and opinions vary.

Here my thinking, if BMW wouldn't CPO the car due to its history, why would you want to buy it? I realize that exporting to Canada would elinimate the CPO (unless you serviced it in the US), but the point I am trying to make if that if BMW doesn't want to support the product why would you spend money on it?

Is this a "must have" car? Do you have options?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.

The document from BMWNA says it's not eligible for CPO, or original owners program. But I have a list of claims and deductible, so some warranty must have been in place.

Gear shift paddle / steering wheel were replaced a year after the BMW PDC.
Final drive unit had a grinding noise and was replaced, right at 7,000 miles.

The price is right and it's visually a very clean car. In the 40k range, I don't see too many good options.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
The document from BMWNA says it's not eligible for CPO, or original owners program
if BMW won't support it, then you should find another option. Thats a red flag for me, but again, like others have said, it could mean nothing.

If money is a issue w/ you as your looking to buy w/in a budget, then you should wait until prices drop, especially for 08/09/10 models.

Otherwise, have you looked at autotrader.com? cars.com? you can find plenty of decent M5s. Thats how i bought mine, which was out of state.

If you really want that specific car, then getting a PPI is a must to have a independant view on the condition of the car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I personally had a performance center m5, It is not eligible for the CPO, bmw na wouldn't allow it to be CPO'ed, doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the car, matter of fact these cars are driven hard but taken care of even harder at the PC. The way these cars are broken into is better than anyone of us have ever broken into an M car. I don't think there is anything wrong w/ a performance center car in your case cuz CPO is not honored in Canada none the less.
I would try to get a good deal out of it however. Price is the catching point here, no other issues.
GL

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I have a shop where we build Subaru race cars (Won 2010 PGT rally championship). So mechanical work isn't a huge issue, just switching to a MUCH different vehicle. Your input is really helpful.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to take the risk. The car is super clean. I will post up pictures in the next few weeks. Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts