BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a place that can rebuild the complete SMG pump and valve body assembly?

Can't Justify $7500.00 just for the part at the dealer for me to install it.

I would hate to hack it up and put in a E9X M3 GS6-53BZ 6 speed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From what I have read you can replace just the pump itself which is like 800 bucks. Something I plan on doing since I’m getting the 4f40 code

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FCP Euro has just the electric motor for $857.29 plus shipping.

The valve body still has o-rings and other parts that need cleaned and replaced.

Is there a place you are looking at getting the pump from?

·
1,743 Posts
To answer the OP question yes, Jim at fams rebuilds them. But look at the fams thread he may not be available atm.

Yes the pump can be replaced (or refurbished too) but what codes are you getting? Could be a number of other things, the slave, plcd, low oil, etc.

I prefer to stay away from fcp and ecs for rmost bmw-only parts. Online dealers are cheaper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

I am definitely going to use FAMs...

No one locally has been able to recover any codes, not even our dealer. They all say they should be able to but sometimes that is just how the electronics go on the E64s.
I am having a hard time believing them!

I would have to tow the car 4hrs away to anyone I trust.

I know I can get the mechanicals sorted out... new clutch, slave cylinder, etc....

·
1,743 Posts
If you can pull the trans etc you can overhaul the motor yourself and it's almost free. Look at the e60 section master diy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know of a place that can rebuild the complete SMG pump and valve body assembly?

Can't Justify $7500.00 just for the part at the dealer for me to install it.

I would hate to hack it up and put in a E9X M3 GS6-53BZ 6 speed.
Where are you located bro? I'm in San Antonio. I had the same issue with my 2007 E64 M6.cheapest kit I found was 4800. All dealers have different prices. None the less the indy shop I deal with [ MTEKNIC ] got my beast running for about 1100. Instead of replacing the entire gear box, they replaced the hydraulic pump only and it has ran like a champ. Mine occured at 71k If i recall correctly. I'm at 102k and just did alot of preventive maintenance. Vanos, rod bearings, both throttle bodys, rotors brakes, fixing to up my rear differential to a 3.91.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts