BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

i recently acquired an 09 M5 SMG and i've noticed right away that it shifts much smoother than my 06 M5 SMG. Driving at lower speeds, my 06 tends to "clunk" when it shifts....i have yet to experience that on the 09.

is this something inherent to the newer ones (software upgraded?) or is there something wrong with my 06? any parts needs replacement on the 06 you think (driveshaft, u-joint, engine mounts, etc) ?!?! Do i need this to get this done while i'm still under CPO/extended maintenance on the 06?

I've also experienced the "rear-end" thud on the 09, but overall it is still smoother than the 06.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I've only driven 06 and 07 cars (which drive pretty smoothly to me) but I've heard the SMG in 08+ cars shifts noticeably smoother, so I bet its not just your imagination.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
wow, two M5s....

anyways, try doing a SMG reset on the 06. If you don't know how to do it, just find a empty strech of road, cruise at/about 35 mph, put the car in neutral, and then pull back on both SMG paddles at the same time for about 5 seconds. See if that smooths out the SMG.

Reactions: dinosaur

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
wow, two M5s....

anyways, try doing a SMG reset on the 06. If you don't know how to do it, just find a empty strech of road, cruise at/about 35 mph, put the car in neutral, and then pull back on both SMG paddles at the same time for about 5 seconds. See if that smooths out the SMG.

+1 on the SMG reset. I do it intermittently on my '06. My SMG has always been smooth.

Reactions: dinosaur

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, two M5s....

anyways, try doing a SMG reset on the 06. If you don't know how to do it, just find a empty stretch of road, cruise at/about 35 mph, put the car in neutral, and then pull back on both SMG paddles at the same time for about 5 seconds. See if that smooths out the SMG.
I agree, I have driven two '08 SMG M5's and they both drive significantly smoother than my '06 even with similar mileage.
+1 on the SMG reset. I do it intermittently on my '06. My SMG has always been smooth.
i do the SMG reset regularly...but again there's no comparison...i guess they made it softer for the LCI models to avoid further stress and damage on the tranny, and avoid future warranty claims.....

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Do you go by mileage or time elapsed? My SMG seems to be ok, though I've not driven it too hard...it's an '06 with 15k, should i just do the reset anyways?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Do you go by mileage or time elapsed? My SMG seems to be ok, though I've not driven it too hard...it's an '06 with 15k, should i just do the reset anyways?

No set pattern. When the shifts begin to get rough I reset.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
No set pattern. When the shifts begin to get rough I reset.
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you gauge when your shifts get rough? In other words, will you notice it at WOT in S5 or will they start getting rough around town or with tame driving, etc? Will it be noticeable at high RPM shifts from say, 4th to 5th? Does it only happen when you don't lift the throttle after shifting?

My car shifts great and is smooth with aggressive driving provided I lift the throttle after upshifting (note that I've never tried a near WOT shift without lifting the gas), so I don't think there are any issues right now but my main concern is when/how to accurately gauge what is not considered 'normal' for shift smoothness...I'd hate to do the reset only to find out my car was shifting fine beforehand...

By the way, I love this car.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If you've never experienced redline SMG shifts on WOT with P500s, DSC off, and S6 then you're truly missing out on the complete M5 experience :)
Will do it this weekend - the S6 shifts, is this without lifting on the throttle after shifting? Is it straight out shift with right foot fully to the floor? Will I hear a gigantic thud?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Will do it this weekend - the S6 shifts, is this without lifting on the throttle after shifting? Is it straight out shift with right foot fully to the floor?
Yes, just keep your foot to the floor and shift at 8100-8250 RPM. (Make sure you try the 2nd to 3rd gear shift and up)

Dexter Morgan said:
Will I hear a gigantic thud?
Let's just say you'll get an instant grin on your face ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how about it.....the 06 had a bad throwout bearing....its been at the dealer for about a month already with all this back and forth with PUMA, and a long list of other parts that had to be replaced....

got the call it will be ready by tomorrow...i'll update when i get to drive it.....hopefully with the new throwout bearing being greased properly this time, it should shift similar to the 09.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi. After you'l get all the problems fixed tell them to upgrade your smg software to the latest version. I went to the dealer to change my oil and they asked me if i wanted a software upgrade on the car and i said yes. They upgrade the engine software(not much of a difference , idrive software it reads mp3 now and the smg software witch did maked a big difference much more comfortable and the gear changing is much smoother) Best of all.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Hi. After you'l get all the problems fixed tell them to upgrade your smg software to the latest version. I went to the dealer to change my oil and they asked me if i wanted a software upgrade on the car and i said yes. They upgrade the engine software(not much of a difference , idrive software it reads mp3 now and the smg software witch did maked a big difference much more comfortable and the gear changing is much smoother) Best of all.

+1

Software update made all the difference for my 2007. I was getting ready to donate it for a tax writeoff before that :eek7:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Resetting it can't hurt it.

Maybe the clunking is from the diff / diff mounts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts