BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving about 20-25 minutes, my 2006 M5 with just over 80k on it decides to have stroke. I see the ABS/TC error messages pop up, but then it goes away. When it comes back on the second time 30 seconds later, my music over my stereo starts to go in and out. My dashboard lights up like a christmas tree, and I start to show ABS fault, engine fault, traction control fault, etc.. I'm able to get off the toll road and hit the exit (which thankfully was right next to me) and start down the ramp at 70mph. When I downshift from 7 to 6, my tranny freaks out and shifts me straight to first gear... I've never heard my engine rev that high... Then when I apply my brake to slow down, the traction control system (I think is the responsible party) freaks out and only applies brakes to my front right tire. It sends me into a side spin at 60 mph until I let off the brake and correct my spin. Transmission failure shows with the red cog, and my whole car dies into neutral and I roll to a stop on the side of the road.

Anybody have anything happen similar to this? I love my M so much.. I just don't want to think that she's turned on me and tried to kill me intentionally. :sad2:

·
Registered
6,025 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unbelievable. That could've killed me if I didn't have an exit nearby or if there had been traffic near me when I slid. This kinda breaks my heart.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Unbelievable. That could've killed me if I didn't have an exit nearby or if there had been traffic near me when I slid. This kinda breaks my heart.
Your ABS was disabled, which may be the reason you may have locked up -- especially if you were on the brakes.

If you've ever locked up a non ABS car (like a track car), it's your front tire that flat spots.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luckily I've got several years of emergency/evasive driving training in both ABS and non-ABS vehicles to help substantiate my claim. I'm by no means a race car driver, but I drive for a living. I didn't jam the brakes hard enough to lock them up, as I was decelerating down the off ramp. It was an instantaneous lateral spin as soon as I activated the brake. Kinda blew my mind. I appreciate you guys giving me your expertise on this, though. I'm pretty lost.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Nevertheless, glad you're safe.

Hook up your e60 to a battery charger/tender overnight and check/replace your battery and alternator/regulator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the same thing happen about an hour ago with my 06 M6. Started as a flat tire message, to trans malfunction, to ABS error, radio on and off cluster blinking and steering got very heavy. Really strange.

I stopped the car and went into a store, came back drove it home without issue. Battery replaced in Jan-14. I'll check cable connections in the morning

06 M6 39.5K miles. No loss of control

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the car 2.5 years ago and haven't had any trouble with the battery since. It stays garage kept, and I drive it a few times per week (not my daily driver). Never had any indications of electrical issues until this. Bam! I ended up towing it to the dealership because I'm worried what damage might have happened to it. When it shifted from 7th straight to 1st gear, I've never heard it make sounds like that... Poor girl.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Sorry to read of your situation and obviously electronics are not designed to go to safe mode under error condition. Pretty surprising for electronics and vehicle at this level.

What speed where you at when it hit first? Clutch should still protect engine i.e. slippage. Will not be good if it went to high. Engine can probably take 10,000rpm for short period, but beings the load came from the drivetrain and not the engine it could cause sever damage. Not trying to worry you, but tech should be able to pull peak rpm.

Good luck!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Eesh. 70mph in 1st is around 12K RPM. That's definitely enough to do damage. How much? I don't know.

Instead of braking honestly the best thing to do there would have been to put the shifter into neutral immediately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That really sucks, hope it ends up with just replacing the battery or only minor repairs. I had the similar thing happened to me about a year ago. And of course it happened on the freeway... AT NIGHT! in the most left lane. But I was very lucky because at that moment I was going only 10-15mph in heavy traffic. Everything worked normal, but all the sudden the dashboard flashed many lights at the same time for a second and then everything shut down and the car immediately stalled on the first gear , I even was'nt able to turn on the lights. In panic I started to jam on the start button every second and try to pull the lever back on neutral. I probably was doing so for about a minute than I tried to put the key in slot and it still didn't work immediately for some reason. But shortly after I've done that it came back to life (I guess my prayers with heavy cursing were heard:hihi:) I ended up replacing only replacing battery sensor and an old battery.
But I could never imagine it could've happen this way.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Where in Texas are you located?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts