BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an aux connector for my ipod. I currently have the 6 disc changer. When I went up to the dealership I asked for the aux connector to allow me to play my IPOD and not lose my 6 disc changer.

I actually do not get my car until 7 or 8 p.m. today but I plan on doing the install tonight. I will post pics and maybe add some posts to this thread if I run into any trouble on the way. I have yet to do any type of work on a BMW before so I do not know what to expect.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The AUX kit

Attachments

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
The aux input plugs into the back of the CCC.
The center console trim must be removed to remove the CCC.
The dealer will need to program the CCC to enable the aux input.

The iPod adapter for MY 2006 replaces the CD changer (as you know).
This is an easier install since all the connections are in the glove box.
This makes the iPod act like a CD changer to the CCC, so no dealer re-programming is needed.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The aux input plugs into the back of the CCC.
The center console trim must be removed to remove the CCC.
The dealer will need to program the CCC to enable the aux input.

The iPod adapter for MY 2006 replaces the CD changer (as you know).
This is an easier install since all the connections are in the glove box.
This makes the iPod act like a CD changer to the CCC, so no dealer re-programming is needed.

So is this connection the one for the back of the CCC? or does it replace the CD-changer?

I wasn't sure because one guy at the dealership told me 1 hour install then another guy told me 4 hours. I haven't cracked it open yet. I wanted the aux input that didn't replace the CD changer, if I have to get programming done I will install it and get the programming done tomorrow - they don't charge for programming.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also if I have to crack the dash I'm definately going to try and install the AUX input in the center console.

·
Registered
392 Posts
AUX connector is the right choice, but not so much because it preserves the CD changer. BMW's iPod integration is very kludgy and slow, so better to use the device itself. Installing the AUX in the center console is ideal, but put in an additional power outlet as well. Then you can use the Monster iCharger and tap its mini-jack line output.

If you use a line output (e.g. on the iCharger) rather than the iPod headphone jack, which will give MUCH better sound, cut the capacitors and resistor our of your AUX kit. See the attachment.

For power you can safely tap either the lighter socket at the ashtray or the extra outlet at the top of the passenger footwell. Both are switched, so the iPod will stop charging when you turn off the ignition.

Clyde is 100% correct. Reprogramming is necessary to recognize the new AUX input.

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AUX connector is the right choice, but not so much because it preserves the CD changer. BMW's iPod integration is very kludgy and slow, so better to use the device itself. Installing the AUX in the center console is ideal, but put in an additional power outlet as well. Then you can use the Monster iCharger and tap its mini-jack line output.

If you use a line output (e.g. on the iCharger) rather than the iPod headphone jack, which will give MUCH better sound, cut the capacitors and resistor our of your AUX kit. See the attachment.

For power you can safely tap either the lighter socket at the ashtray or the extra outlet at the top of the passenger footwell. Both are switched, so the iPod will stop charging when you turn off the ignition.

Clyde is 100% correct. Reprogramming is necessary to recognize the new AUX input.

Thats what I was worried about, reprogramming - I still have not gotten my car. It been here in town alllll day but the delivery truck had a break down and is currently getting fixed. I might make this a night job tonight or I might wake up early tomorrow and try and get it done.

I hardwired an XM receiver in my ex-gf's car using the same concept as the monster cable you posted. It's soooo much better than having all the wires everywhere. In my case I probably won't care too much to hard wire my ipod since I never charged it in my old car. I had my Ipod hardwired in my old car as well and never charged it and just used the regular headphone jack to feed my Alpine IVAD300.

I'm just really annoyed with my shipper right now because they didn't call me yesterday evening to let me know they weren't coming by so I waited by the front door until 9:30 pmouich

I saw this thread on bimmerfest - what I think I'm going to do is wire it first - see how it sounds with the settings adjusted on the Ipod(bass down on equalizer), if it is not up to par I will just pull the wire and solder it since the "lump" is close to the AUX input.

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm so unlucky with shipping right now that when I just checked on some springs GeneArch sent me, the tracking for UPS said

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="sec-row-od"><td class="sec-pad"> MESQUITE,
TX, US </td> <td class="sec-pad"> 03/07/2008 </td> <td class="sec-pad" align="right"> 3:30 A.M. </td> <td class="sec-pad"> TRAIN DERAILMENT</td></tr></tbody></table>
It changed the arrival date from today to unknown.

A freaking TRAIN DERAILMENT!!!

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Installing the AUX in the center console is ideal, but put in an additional power outlet as well.
Adding a power outlet is an excellent idea :M5thumbs:

On 2007 (and later) models the AUX input is in the center console, in the cubby under the armrest. The base of the cubby is a separate piece, so it might be possible to access the area without removing the entire console. It's #11 in this realoem drawing:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EH93&mospid=49343&btnr=51_5227&hg=51&fg=35

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out this thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=51895

This says that grounding pin 10 will activate the AUX input, even if the AUX feature has not been programmed by the dealer :M5thumbs:

In order for it to work it needs a switch to activate the mute? From pin 10 on the 16-Connector. I had switches in all of my past trucks for DVD and lights etc, and I want to keep this car free of any switches and knobs to put it. I understand the concept and doesn't look too tough but i would have to put a switch somewhere such as in the ashtray so I'm just going to go ahead and do the programming i think.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
In order for it to work it needs a switch to activate the mute? From pin 10 on the 16-Connector. I had switches in all of my past trucks for DVD and lights etc, and I want to keep this car free of any switches and knobs to put it. I understand the concept and doesn't look too tough but i would have to put a switch somewhere such as in the ashtray so I'm just going to go ahead and do the programming i think.
Dealer programming is the clean solution.
This hardware switch using pin 10 is another method, but would require some manual control.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer programming is the clean solution.
This hardware switch using pin 10 is another method, but would require some manual control.

My goal with this car is to keep all modifications as clean as possible. I hate having cords, switches, etc. in view.

·
8,369 Posts
Aux input mod

Sorry to revive this old thread.

I've removed the CD changer on my 2006, installed an OEM Alpine iPod interface.
The audio / sound output of iPod interface is really good. Happy in that regard.

But similar to what was mentioned here, OEM iPod interface is really slow and sluggish and I am frustrated.
So I decided to go do the Aux Input route and just plug in my iPod directly to Aux Input for direct access.

Aux input cable ordered, capacitors removed, CCC access complete, aux cable installed, everything back together.

I tried the hard wire pin 10 mute method but not only I dont want to install a manual switch, but I also was not able to make it work.
I grounded pin 10 and it's not doing anything, no change, so bag that manual mute method.

I called the $tealer and they want $264.00 to enable the Aux Input feature on the iDrive menu.

I have three questions please.

1) Is $264.00 the going price to update the software to enable the aux input feature?

2) Any other software upgradeable optional feature I can ask them to do for me since I am paying them good money to update the software anyway?

3) One more question please, I removed the iPod interface and no sound comes out of the stereo system. Put it back and sound comes back. Is there a way to not have anything plugged in to the CD changer connector and stereo works normal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to revive this old thread.

I've removed the CD changer on my 2006, installed an OEM Alpine iPod interface.
The audio / sound output of iPod interface is really good. Happy in that regard.

But similar to what was mentioned here, OEM iPod interface is really slow and sluggish and I am frustrated.
So I decided to go do the Aux Input route and just plug in my iPod directly to Aux Input for direct access.

Aux input cable ordered, capacitors removed, CCC access complete, aux cable installed, everything back together.

I tried the hard wire pin 10 mute method but not only I dont want to install a manual switch, but I also was not able to make it work.
I grounded pin 10 and it's not doing anything, no change, so bag that manual mute method.

I called the $tealer and they want $264.00 to enable the Aux Input feature on the iDrive menu.

I have three questions please.

1) Is $264.00 the going price to update the software to enable the aux input feature?

2) Any other software upgradeable optional feature I can ask them to do for me since I am paying them good money to update the software anyway?

3) One more question please, I removed the iPod interface and no sound comes out of the stereo system. Put it back and sound comes back. Is there a way to not have anything plugged in to the CD changer connector and stereo works normal?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I can't help with all of your questions but my dealer ended up installing my AUX input for free so I decided not to do it myself. If I were you I would speak with your service advisor and try to get it to at least $130 before you pay. It's dumb they charge you an hour of labor to update software when its just plug in and let the computer do the work. The dealers will not act as if they are flexible on pricing but in reality they are. I've always had a nice amount of cash taken off the initial price quotes because they always start high.

·
8,369 Posts
Thanks for replying.

The $tealer quoted me $264 as they claim it takes about 2 hours to upoad software but you are right, they just hook up the connection and the computer does the rest, so it doesnt justify 2 hours of man hours labor. I will ask and negotiate.

Re: my question number 3, I have solved my own question / issue.
I did a search and I learned that by removing the iPod interface / CD changer, the fiber optic connection is then left open.
Fiber optic cables needs to be looped back, so I discovered that there is a fiber optic "splice" that I need to install to complete the fiber connection again to make the audio system work.

Again, thanks for the info.

Sorry I can't help with all of your questions but my dealer ended up installing my AUX input for free so I decided not to do it myself. If I were you I would speak with your service advisor and try to get it to at least $130 before you pay. It's dumb they charge you an hour of labor to update software when its just plug in and let the computer do the work. The dealers will not act as if they are flexible on pricing but in reality they are. I've always had a nice amount of cash taken off the initial price quotes because they always start high.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts