BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I changed cars with my friend who has the 03 M3 coupe with SMGII. His car is at 40000 km. Here are the differences I noticed:

His suspension parts especially struts are wore out; you can easily notice it. Also his steering wheel is heavier.
On the other hand, his engine has a linear power unlike mine. It is obvious that his car is stronger than mine.
And finally the difference between SMG. This is the most annoying part for me. His swifts are more mechanical, more instentanious. Evenif ypu are not in S6 mode, swifts are very direct and you hear the kick from behind. Changing gears at 6000-7000 rpm, you catch the next gear at once and quick.

On the other hand, unless I'm in S6 mode, I can't hear or feel the kick from behind at upshifts. And the worst part is the changes happen as if you are using half clutch. It doesn't catch the next gear instantly but it feels like there is clutch slippage. I don't know the reason. Maybe my car needs a SMG adaptation but there is no sign of SMG failure. I don't think it is normal. Has anyone of you noticed this difference??

This really starts to annoy me. :grrrrr: :grrrrr: grrrrrrr

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more think:

His brakes felt stronger and my friend also confirmed this. Some how his brake pedal travels shorter and stepping on the pedal gives a harder feel. His car is totally bone-stock.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few days ago I did the SMG adaptation; put the car in N while going at 40 km/h and pulled both of the paddles.

Now it doesn't slip the clutch anymore. It was very little, now it is gone.
However, 04 SMG software is smother than 03 SMG software so 04 is not like bang-bang swifts unless you are in S6 mode. I personaly prefer 03 software but there is nothing to do. On the other hand, 04 SMG downshifts are better with more throttle input; it is smother and faster.

IMO, 03 SMG upshifts with 04 SMG downshifts are the best combination.
At least I solve the clutch slip problem.

·
Moderator Emeritus
600 Posts
Thanks for sharing this interesting info with us Onur

1 - 4 of 4 Posts