BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the antenna on the back of the NAv unit is the traditional plug in type or the BMW screw in type?

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How does it look like? Can you find a picture please? I need to know if it will plug into this:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
How does it look like? Can you find a picture please? I need to know if it will plug into this:
Nope, it is different from any of those connections in the pic. What exactly are you trying to do? Maybe I can help out.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Are you asking about the Nav GPS antenna or the radio antenna?

The GPS antena is an SMB connector.

The radio is either a ISO connector (for older radios, BM24, C23, C43)

and a FAKRA (similar to SMB but with a plastic cover) connector

or just a FAKRA connector for newer radios (BM53, BM54).

A 2002 should have the newer radio, so FAKRA connector.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats exactly what I needed to know, I believe its the FAKRA connector, I needed an adapter for it, thanks!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought that is where you were going. I am getting ready to put in an HD radio module with the Intravee, and ordered the below adaptor from ebay, and a splitter from Amazon so that I can use the OEM tuner as well if I need to.

BMW VW EURO Antenna Adapter Set for FM Modulator Hookup - eBay (item 110557922974 end time Dec-07-10 15:29:04 PST)

Amazon.com: METRA Ltd 40-UV44 Motorola Antenna Y-adapter: Electronics
Yup thats correct, I just ordered the reverse adapter, is that the only one I need or should I buy the other one too?

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought that is where you were going. I am getting ready to put in an HD radio module with the Intravee, and ordered the below adaptor from ebay, and a splitter from Amazon so that I can use the OEM tuner as well if I need to.

BMW VW EURO Antenna Adapter Set for FM Modulator Hookup - eBay (item 110557922974 end time Dec-07-10 15:29:04 PST)

Amazon.com: METRA Ltd 40-UV44 Motorola Antenna Y-adapter: Electronics
Hello, so i'm in a situation situation. And wanted to hear how the above antenna splitter is working for you, particularly any new noise or loss in signal (poor reception for both oem and hd radio), etc. ? Or, satisfied with above setup to drive both oem radio and hd radio through intravee 2?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
257 Posts
On a vaguely related but entirely different note, I'm tempted to try and fit a CB-radio-esque comms system in the centre console using the antenna and cabling for the old installed phone kit. The connectors are weird to me - I work in RF, and I'm used to SMA, TNC, BNC and N-type connectors and nothing more! I can't give much detail (it's sneaky stuff I use at work), but basically the kit I would install is a set of up to 12 radios in one network which work as a self forming, self healing mesh, so it would be awesome for convoy driving and would allow for comms to be secure as well. Not worried about people hearing what we're saying, it's only for Nurburgring trips really, but it's always nice to not have to worry about interference! it would also allow for two-way IP traffic, so I could have a video stream from a lead car for example...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hello, so i'm in a situation situation. And wanted to hear how the above antenna splitter is working for you, particularly any new noise or loss in signal (poor reception for both oem and hd radio), etc. ? Or, satisfied with above setup to drive both oem radio and hd radio through intravee 2?

Thanks much!
The HD radio selection in Columbus is lacking, so I took out the HD tuner and put in a sirius tuner. I was happy with the set up when I had it in though, and will probably switch back at some point. Strength of signal did not appear to suffer, and there was no noise associated with it.

Of note, the wiring for the Alpine HD radio tuner and the Alpine Sirius tuner both use the same power connectors, so switching the two units is literally plug and play once you wire them in for the first time. They both retain memory too!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The HD radio selection in Columbus is lacking, so I took out the HD tuner and put in a sirius tuner. I was happy with the set up when I had it in though, and will probably switch back at some point. Strength of signal did not appear to suffer, and there was no noise associated with it.

Of note, the wiring for the Alpine HD radio tuner and the Alpine Sirius tuner both use the same power connectors, so switching the two units is literally plug and play once you wire them in for the first time. They both retain memory too!
Thanks, that helps!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts