BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does an 02 M5 have auto-dimming (from bright) when an oncoming car approaches?

Thx, STeve

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yes- all E39 M5s have this. I think the side mirrors are also also dimming- but definitely the rear view mirror. You may not like how much or little dimming there is. I am very sensitive to headlights and the auto dimming was never enough for me. If you have the rear sunshade- you can deploy that to help cut down headlights or tint the windows.

whoops- I mis read your question- the answer is AFAIK- no- the headlights will not go from high beams to regular and then back when an approaching car passes. I rarely use the auto headlight feature though. I think this became standard in the 01 M5s.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sorry, I was not very clear. I mean, do the headlights dim when you approach an oncoming car?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
No they do not. The xenons are auto-leveling, however.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, this is what I must be seeing - when you first start the car up - it looks like the lights are "booting up", going up and down and finding level - that is kinda cool. Are there other times when they might auto-level?

KevinM said:
No they do not. The xenons are auto-leveling, however.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I second the comments. The headlights do not dim from the brights but the auto-leveling seems to dip the normal beams in traffic. Once the car passes and there are no other lights around, they raise back up.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I never noticed that at all- I will check it out- thats cool if true.

·
Registered
238 Posts
sarends said:
OK, this is what I must be seeing - when you first start the car up - it looks like the lights are "booting up", going up and down and finding level - that is kinda cool. Are there other times when they might auto-level?
I've never seen mine go up *and down* at start up. But, every time I start the car with the headlights (xenons) on (or auto and it's dark), the lights come on and, perhaps, run through some self check (or things just take a moment to start up) and the lights are aimed down slightly. Then, after a few seconds, they come up to level. If you're parked in front of a wall or something you can really notice it.

I have never noticed them going up or down in traffic or in response to other cars. Now, since they're auto-leveling, one has to assume that they're going up and down in response to the car's pitch angle, but I doubt that it's all that noticeable, mostly because they will look like they're staying in one place as the car's nose moves up and down.

Greg
2003 ///M5 Jet Black/Black, Sport
Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets, Bluetooth, Aux Audio Input & all "plus" options except PDC

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upon startup, mine definitely go up and down before arriving at level. I also have noticed twice now (keep in mind I have only had my "lady in red" for three days now) that when driving when dark, and after having turned a corner, or after an oncoming car has gone by, the lights have adjusted their level again - it was very dark, and I saw the "beam" going slightly up and down in some trees across the road. I don't know if this is normal or might represent an error in the xenon's logic or what, but I have defintely seen it happen while driving. Steve

gdoan said:
I've never seen mine go up *and down* at start up. But, every time I start the car with the headlights (xenons) on (or auto and it's dark), the lights come on and, perhaps, run through some self check (or things just take a moment to start up) and the lights are aimed down slightly. Then, after a few seconds, they come up to level. If you're parked in front of a wall or something you can really notice it.

I have never noticed them going up or down in traffic or in response to other cars. Now, since they're auto-leveling, one has to assume that they're going up and down in response to the car's pitch angle, but I doubt that it's all that noticeable, mostly because they will look like they're staying in one place as the car's nose moves up and down.

Greg
2003 ///M5 Jet Black/Black, Sport
Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets, Bluetooth, Aux Audio Input & all "plus" options except PDC

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
If your lights do not do a self test(up and down upon starting the car) then yours have a problem.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts