BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a long detailed thread and got kicked out right before I tried to post, so this one will be more brief.

This is my friends car, but I know it well - went with him in August 2003 to pick it up with 5k miles on it.

The basics:

New clutch and all hydraulics. (700 miles)
New brakes - Centric Premium Rotors and Stoptech street performance pads (200 miles)
No dents or dings
No curbrash
Few minor paint blemishes
Damage to lower front undertrays but still structurally sound
Some wear on drivers door b-pillar weather strip
Needs tires

Had a PPI - here are the open items exactly as written on the PPI
oil separator hoses are soft
right front piece on front of wheel well needs riveted back on
left rear differential side seal is leaking
boots on rear upper control arms are split open no play yet
dipstick tube at oil pan is leaking slightly
thrust arm bushings are tearing slightly
abs fault stored is brake fluid switch faulty
DME electronic fan

$17,000 firm

·
Registered
610 Posts
GLWS and finally a person taking the initiative to get a PPI done before the sale. Need more sellers like yourself!!!! The more informed the buyer the better!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Is this car in the Geist area of Indianapolis off of Fall Creek?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks rrich.

Now that the post is up, I can safely add some more info without having to redo the whole thing.

A couple notes about the PPI stuff. The rear right tire has lightly rubbed the inner fender liner, but the tires are 285 instead of 275 width and new tires of the OEM size will solve this - it is very very minor as it is.

Bought differential seals but haven't installed them. Will give seals to new owner - they are very inexpensive so I'm not trying to pretend that is a generous offer.

Split boots and slightly tearing bushings to me are not a real issue if there is not "play" in the suspension part. It's like saying "You have used 60% of your oil life, better put new oil in now."

Don't know what the abs fault is about, but I do know abs works fine and there are no dummy lights on in the dash. My guess is the sensor took a reading when it was out of the reservoir during the fluid flush or clutch hydraulics replacement.

I don't know what the DME electronic fan note is about.

A couple of other notes. The car had the full BMW II service done at 64.5k and it included two air filters, two microfilters, new spark plugs, new lower oil pan (impact damage - same that caused undertray damage), two new power steering lines.

The car got a new battery at 76.5k miles.

The car was not driven hard. I think getting 78k out of original brake pads is a valid indicator of this. It never would have gotten those miles on one set of brake pads if I owned it:grinyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the mileage? Do you have anymore details on the clutch (OEM, Aftermarket etc?)

Ooops. 78,300.

Clutch is OEM - not bought from BMW, but it is the exact clutch. Flywheel is brand new OEM as well. Again, not bought from BMW, but the exact flywheel from the exact manufacturer. BMW was quoting $2200 for the flywheel alone. A little research can save a lot of money.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Beautiful car, rare Chiaretto red too! GLWS!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thats a pretty good price. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
why is it so cheap with lower miles? Most of the items needed to be handled are usual wear & tear. Any accidents? How many owners? Have service records?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
why is it so cheap with lower miles? Most of the items needed to be handled are usual wear & tear. Any accidents? How many owners? Have service records?
It's simply priced to sell, or at least I think it is. There are no accidents or paint work for this car (it's on ebay at same price and that provides a free vehicle history report). It is only a two owner, and the second owner has had it since 5k miles, so virtually a one owner car. We have a significant amount of service records, including the most recent items (other than clutch and brakes) of BMW inspection 2 at 65k miles (new air filters and microfilters, two new power steering lines to fix leaks, new spark plugs at $18.46 each plus labor), and a new battery and oil change at 76.5k miles. Brake fluid was completely flushed just recently with clutch replacement.

In my opinion it's a great price for a great car.:cheers:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sent you a message on Ebay

Hey Josh,
I sent you a PM on Ebay from my handle 'coloradoaviator.' It's hard for two newbies to get in touch around here!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrads did a member buy or someone from ebay?
Not sure. I know he saw it on M5Board, but I'm not positive he is a member. I certainly encouraged him to become a member and take advantage of all the information available on this forum. He definitely seemed like a guy that is going to appreciate and enjoy this car - that's what we were hoping for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts