BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to even make a post like this to add to the massive amounts of engine oil posts that have been made.. but after a full weekend of reading about oil I am more confused then ever. Never in my life have I owned a car with some much debate about engine oil. This is crazy.

My car was manufactured in 02/2000. I am not exactly sure what is running inside right now, although I can honestly say that not a drop of oil is being lost/burn. If I knew what was inside I'd just use the same thing.

I am not certain what version of the VANOS I have, I will have to take a peek to see.

I do not track the car.
I don not redline ever shift and generally drive it modestly with the exception of a few fun pulls from time-to-time.

I am thinking about going with Mobil1 0w-40 from my hours of reading.

The only post that has me on the fence is this one. How do you guys interpret this? Per BMW, having an S62/E39 build date of 02/2000, can I use BMW Longlife 01 engine oil??

"BMW Longlife 01 oils to be used in all M series engines except

M43/CNG
S54
S62/E39 (up to 02/2000)

Where Castrol 10w-60 is recommended.

BMW Longlife 01 Oils are of the following viscosities/specifications:

LL01 SAE 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30, 5w-40 ACEA A3/B3, API SJ/SL/CD ECII

I have a list of approved oils.

There is also a Technical Bulletin to Dealers dated 03/11/2004 concerning ALL M5's S62/E39

from 02/2000 onwards use 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 or 5w-40 BMW Longlife Approved Oils

up to 02/2000 use Castrol 10w-60"

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Don't use 0w40 it's to thin, after 02/2000 use 5w30 - 5w40. If it's before that use 10w60.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Don't use 0w40 it's to thin, after 02/2000 use 5w30 - 5w40. If it's before that use 10w60.
Mine is 04/200 and it has a tws 10w60 sticker on the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There nothing wrong with using 10w60 for all e39 M5's as far as I am aware and for all M car for that matter.
I think and I stress the word think, if you have no problems with high consumption you might be able to get away with a thinner oil than 10w60 but if you have high consumption I would recommend 10w60 only.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Don't worry about it. We're ALL crazy here ... ouich

I would buy BMW Synthetic ... try 5w-30 first, and if oil consumption goes way up, change to 10w-60. Do you still have the sticker near the radiator?

·
10,456 Posts
since your car is a 2/00 production car, the choice is simple. castrol tws (10/60) is the only approved oil, so use that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sticker says Castrol 10w-60 and so dose the fill cap.

OK, so what does this mean?

"from 02/2000 onwards use 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 or 5w-40 BMW Longlife Approved Oils"

I am thinking I have a 02/2000 so I can use 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 or 5w-40 BMW Longlife Approved Oils?
Is this information incorrect or am I interpreting it the wrong way?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts

"from 02/2000 onwards use 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 or 5w-40 BMW Longlife Approved Oils"

I am thinking I have a 02/2000 so I can use 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 or 5w-40 BMW Longlife Approved Oils?
It means go to a BMW dealer and buy BMW Synthetic 10w-60.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I have a 4/00 build and I use TWS 10/60. No issues and does not burn a drop between 5k interval changes.

IMHO stay away from BMW of North Haven, I have had many issues with them over the years. I have since been going to New Country BMW in Hartford and am very pleased with their service. I have no affiliation with either $tealer, just personal experience.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beamer_USA, thank you for the tip on dealerships. I have been going to the one in Hartford with other cars and have been satisfied too.

I really just posted to get an interpretation on the cut off since the wording was a little weird.. " from 02/2000 onwards" and "up to 02/2000".

Although I have to also say that I have read though every single report posted in the blackstone lab reports threads here and I can not see a distinguishable trend between any oil type used.

The largest distinction I have pulled out is miles between changes as obvious as that seems.

Other then just because that is what it says on my oil cap or in this technical notice, why is everyone so hell bent on using the prescribed oil?

While I feel that there was some specific reason why BMW designed the engine with that particular oil it does not seem to be proving itself in the oil test any different.

I am not looking to start a huge debate, that has been waged in many other threads, although if someone has experienced a specific result one way or the other I am open for education and appreciate the share of knowledge.

From reading the many other posts it seems that everyone has an option about the subject and everyone believes they are correct. Just as I am sure once I reach my decision I will feel the same :)

·
10,456 Posts

not sure where that quote comes from, but the accepted wisdom of the board says the ring design change happened 3/00, so 2/00 is old rings, 3/00 is new rings.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Beamer_USA, thank you for the tip on dealerships. I have been going to the one in Hartford with other cars and have been satisfied too.

I really just posted to get an interpretation on the cut off since the wording was a little weird.. " from 02/2000 onwards" and "up to 02/2000".

Although I have to also say that I have read though every single report posted in the blackstone lab reports threads here and I can not see a distinguishable trend between any oil type used.

The largest distinction I have pulled out is miles between changes as obvious as that seems.

Other then just because that is what it says on my oil cap or in this technical notice, why is everyone so hell bent on using the prescribed oil?

While I feel that there was some specific reason why BMW designed the engine with that particular oil it does not seem to be proving itself in the oil test any different.

I am not looking to start a huge debate, that has been waged in many other threads, although if someone has experienced a specific result one way or the other I am open for education and appreciate the share of knowledge.

From reading the many other posts it seems that everyone has an option about the subject and everyone believes they are correct. Just as I am sure once I reach my decision I will feel the same :)
Look -it's very simple & not worthy of a 'debate'. BMW screwed up with the NiSil block/ ring design prior to 3/2000 with high oil consumption as a result thus prescribing a thick oil.

For 3/2000 onwards, the design was changed with oil consumption issue solved & a 5w-30 prescribed.

What's the problem? Have a good day.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look -it's very simple & not worthy of a 'debate'. BMW screwed up with the NiSil block/ ring design prior to 3/2000 with high oil consumption as a result thus prescribing a thick oil.

For 3/2000 onwards, the design was changed with oil consumption issue solved & a 5w-30 prescribed.

yes, that all has already been said and your post has added nothing. thanks for sharing your experience, oh wait, that wasn't your experience, you were just regurgitating what was in the FAQ.

<b48617a5f03ab628057

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I hate to even make a post like this to add to the massive amounts of engine oil posts that have been made.. but after a full weekend of reading about oil I am more confused then ever. Never in my life have I owned a car with some much debate about engine oil. This is crazy.

My car was manufactured in 02/2000. I am not exactly sure what is running inside right now, although I can honestly say that not a drop of oil is being lost/burn. If I knew what was inside I'd just use the same thing.

I am not certain what version of the VANOS I have, I will have to take a peek to see.

I do not track the car.
I don not redline ever shift and generally drive it modestly with the exception of a few fun pulls from time-to-time.

I am thinking about going with Mobil1 0w-40 from my hours of reading.

The only post that has me on the fence is this one. How do you guys interpret this? Per BMW, having an S62/E39 build date of 02/2000, can I use BMW Longlife 01 engine oil??

"BMW Longlife 01 oils to be used in all M series engines except

M43/CNG
S54
S62/E39 (up to 02/2000)

Where Castrol 10w-60 is recommended.

BMW Longlife 01 Oils are of the following viscosities/specifications:

LL01 SAE 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30, 5w-40 ACEA A3/B3, API SJ/SL/CD ECII

I have a list of approved oils.

There is also a Technical Bulletin to Dealers dated 03/11/2004 concerning ALL M5's S62/E39

from 02/2000 onwards use 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 or 5w-40 BMW Longlife Approved Oils

up to 02/2000 use Castrol 10w-60"

You've heard from the TWS crowd, so here's the counterpoint.

For the way you describe your driving, 10W-60 is Waaaay too thick. You'll never reach operating temperatures hot enough to thin the oil to an appropriate viscosity.

The ring design, based on my readings, is a complete red herring. People before and after the ring design use TWS with no consumption and 5W-30 with no consumption. There are also folks that use both with consumption.

So, were I you, I would switch to a quality BMW 5W-30 equivalent (or use the BMW if you'd like). I'd monitor my engine oil level closely (as in every single fillup) and if I saw excessive consumption that made me worry, I'd switch to TWS. BUT, keep in mind that you live in a cold climate and if you drive your car in the winter TWS is simply too thick for sufficient lubrication at startup.

To confuse issues further, let's also keep in mind that BMW also says that 1Q / 1000 miles is perfectly acceptable. Many other high performance vehicles also consider consumption "allowable".

Does that all make sense?

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

That is a serious oversimplification of the issue / topic.

d-

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You've heard from the TWS crowd, so here's the counterpoint.

For the way you describe your driving, 10W-60 is Waaaay too thick. You'll never reach operating temperatures hot enough to thin the oil to an appropriate viscosity.

The ring design, based on my readings, is a complete red herring. People before and after the ring design use TWS with no consumption and 5W-30 with no consumption. There are also folks that use both with consumption.

So, were I you, I would switch to a quality BMW 5W-30 equivalent (or use the BMW if you'd like). I'd monitor my engine oil level closely (as in every single fillup) and if I saw excessive consumption that made me worry, I'd switch to TWS. BUT, keep in mind that you live in a cold climate and if you drive your car in the winter TWS is simply too thick for sufficient lubrication at startup.

To confuse issues further, let's also keep in mind that BMW also says that 1Q / 1000 miles is perfectly acceptable. Many other high performance vehicles also consider consumption "allowable".

Does that all make sense?

d-

All that makes sense to me. Thank you.

I just read about many members who feel very strongly about what oil they have been using one way or the other and just can't seem to draw the line using anyones experience. Like "hey, I was running 10w60 didn't loose a drop of oil then when I switched to BMW 5w30 I started loosing oil, so I switched back and now everything is fine again", or "I have always used TWS and i still consume oil".

I am not looking for a poll to know who is running what. This thread is not about "what oil should I use?" I am simply calling upon the experience of people who have gone though some issues one way or the other in hopes they might want to share. Now that is interesting material to read about.

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
since your car is a 2/00 production car, the choice is simple. castrol tws (10/60) is the only approved oil, so use that.
+1
No question.

Don't get twisted up with the LL crap either- change it every 5000-7500 miles too.

A

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
I think ard and mottati have it right and doug's point is well taken. You most likely have the "old' ring design. As such, I would use 10w-60, at least in the summer. I think Castrol 5w-30 or equivalent (Mobil1 0w-40) would be appropriate in cold weather where the motor will not be seeing anything resembling severe duty. If oil consumption becomes a problem, then consider switching back to TWS.

Now, after reading the board wisdom, take some time and take a look at this:
http://members.rennlist.com/oil/Motor Oil 101.htm
It makes for an interesting read.:cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That is a serious oversimplification of the issue / topic.

d-
Perhaps, but accurate & completely warranted in this thread with the term 'serious' a bit silly.....

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Perhaps, but accurate & completely warranted in this thread with the term 'serious' a bit silly.....
I'm not sure I agree it was completely accurate which is why I said something. I think you were lumping in some conclusions / assumptions as facts.

Here are the facts as known:
1. BMW changed the ring design on or around 2/2000
2. BMW changed the recommended oil from TWS to 5W30 on or around 2/2000

Other than the 2 being coincident time wise there is no known correlation between the 2 events. There is, for example, a great deal of speculation that BMW changed to 5W30 as the recommended oil because it has longer change intervals not because of the ring design. Further, manufacturers frequently combine changes for no reason other than simplicity of communication with the dealer body.

Doug

1 - 20 of 32 Posts