BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All ~

I have been trying to track down a squeak on startup. If is definitley a pully on one of the accessories - which one I don't know. The squeak goes away once warmed up. Has anyone had anything similiar that may be the cause? Is there a pulley, idler or otherwise. It "seems" to me to be coming from the alternator but that is really the only accessory I can see...could be others. Without a stethoscope I am at a loss...

-Jeff

·
Registered
463 Posts
Nolift911 said:
... a squeak on startup. If is definitley a pully on one of the accessories - which one I don't know. The squeak goes away once warmed up.
I've noticed something similar on my '01 -- more like a brief chirp at startup. But it seems to happen only occasionally (maybe there's a connection to ambient temp?) and is so slight I've never looked into it.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I have the same problem here, and it is only on cold starts -- just a quick squeak. I'm at 24k miles. My "cold" starts this winter have never been below ~55F or so in my garage btw.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I had it and it was the starter and was replaced under warrenty.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have an 01 w/28k miles, and it also does this exact same thing. It only does it when I start it in the morning. When I drive to lunch it's fine, and when I drive home from work it's fine.:confused2

Peace, Hector

EdP said:
I've noticed something similar on my '01 -- more like a brief chirp at startup. But it seems to happen only occasionally (maybe there's a connection to ambient temp?) and is so slight I've never looked into it.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Jayson said:
I had it and it was the starter and was replaced under warrenty.
take it to the dealer, have them look and if this my be it, cuz that never crossed my mind either.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had that on my '02. It was one of the tensioners. Replaced under Warranty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Exact same issue on my out-of-warranty 2001 with only 29K miles. Only happens on cold morning startups (below about 40 degrees F) as a short "chirp" and then goes away.

I figured it must be a loose accessory belt. I can also hear a slight increase in belt noise when making sharp, low-speed turns in the parking lot.

- Dave

·
Registered
177 Posts
Happens intermittently on my 2000 - always in the morning when it's cold. Haven't paid much attention to it. Is it somethiing that can cause a bigger problem later?

Hugh

·
Registered
590 Posts
Guys get your belts checked or changed and check the tensioners for freedom of movement. I've replace lots of bimmer belts that didn't have a lot of miles on them but where cracked and hard causing the squealing or squeaking on AM start ups. My 00 is due with 55k, not sure if they have been changed before, they're not making any noise yet but I can see the alternator belt has cracks in it. Usually that one's the culprit.

Hope that helps
Joe

·
Registered
158 Posts
Funny this post shows up because I have just requested a service visit for Monday to repair a power steering leak and have a tech check out a startup noise my car has developed over the last few weeks.

I would describe it a little differently....like a 'creaking' sound. Usually one to three 'creaks' a second or two after ignition. Sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine. The most similar sound I can think of is related to bicycling...that creaking sound you get when you push hard on the pedals and your main crankset bearings are in need of service.

I guess it could be the belt tensioner...I never thought of that.

I'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
OldRanger said:
Usually one to three 'creaks' a second or two after ignition. Sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine.
Follow up: My dealership failed to diagnose the sound during my previous visit in April, so they took no corrective action. I was sure it was the starter failing to disengage. That the 'creaks' were the sounds of the starter gears clashing as they failed to disengage.

I waited until I took the car back in for the MAFS problem last week. I told them I had a failed start attempt (at least I thought I did :blink: ), and they replaced the starter under CPO warranty. They said the starter wasn't disengaging and that was what was causing the noise.

Noise is gone now. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
hudson said:
Guys get your belts checked or changed and check the tensioners for freedom of movement. I've replace lots of bimmer belts that didn't have a lot of miles on them but where cracked and hard causing the squealing or squeaking on AM start ups.
Definitely one of the belts. Mine squeaked for a split second on cold AM starts. I had my power steering pump fixed and replaced my A/C & PS belt (@ 30Kmiles) and the squeak was gone. The squeak started several thousand miles before 30K miles.

·
Registered
626 Posts
same here. but my beast is a 03'

emperor

CSBM5 said:
I have the same problem here, and it is only on cold starts -- just a quick squeak. I'm at 24k miles. My "cold" starts this winter have never been below ~55F or so in my garage btw.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Warm up squeak

My startup squeak is when the car has been driven for awhile. I turn the engine off and if I start it again a quick sqeak sound appears. I have already replace both the starter and belt tensioner pulley bearing. But it still there. What else:dunno:

Peter

·
Registered
128 Posts
If your belts are ok (not cracked). Get some belt dressing and spray it on the blet while the car is running. Check next morning if the sound is still there on start up. If it is still present then your issue is not the belt, but most likely a tensioner. The belts on the "M" are a little tighter the on other cars, and therefore have a higher tendency to make that sound on start up. Nothing a little belt dressing won't fix (and it will not hurt it in any way). Try it see how it goes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts