BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 M5 owners:

I hear there is a new NAV screen and there is now a motorized mechanism which folds down revealing a single CD player?? Is this correct? if so, please explain what it looks like (maybe post a pic?) and/or how well does it work?? Or all this total crap? Inquiring minds want to know?

TIA

Andy M.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Partial crap. There is a new NAV in a 16:9 format screen. You loose all the trim work around the NAV now. The screen does tilt down via a motorized mechanism, but there is a cassette behind the screen. A single CD is not available, at least in the USA model. I have heard that a mini-disc is available in Europe

MJ
'01

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
even with M bass option no single CD ??

·
Registered
907 Posts
No single CD with M Audio Enhanced Bass option. The Bass is dramatic with the new twin 10" subs. The bass now rocks the car and literally shakes the rear view mirror. The cones on all speakers are now Kevlar (according to my dealer) when you order this option. This is now the best stock BMW audio system I have heard to date. Sure you can probably do even better after-market...but I never screw with the factory audio systems.

MJ
'01 Anthracite.Black Luxury.Burl.M Audio

·
Registered
188 Posts
MJ - how do you like anthracite? What else have you considered? Have chance to get exact same car with M Audio, same color, etc. Initially looked at either titanium silver or carbon black. Is anthracite a compromise?

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
GGarai -

I have anthracite too. It gets a LOT of compliments as a great color, even from other M5 owners. I like it because it is good looking, doesn't show the dirt too bad, and very, very stealth. I haven't regretted it for a moment. I have all-black sportive interior.

I have a few pics of the car @ http://www.bmwregistry.com/gregh/gregm5

/G

[This message has been edited by greg (edited 27 October 2000).]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by AndyMenard:
<cut>
if so, please explain what it looks like (maybe post a pic?) and/or how well does it work??
<cut>
Andy M.
i found some pictures from a '01 530i, that shows the Nav-Screen in both positions...

here is the URL: http://www.geocities.com/bmw5302001/pictures.html

Reg,
Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (Transfer to Switzerland - Status 182)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

[This message has been edited by Dany (edited 27 October 2000).]

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The cd changer is still in the back. Also, the display shows the same nav crap as old. now if they had new software, that owuld be nice.

personally, i like havnig the screen to the right and all of the buttons closer to me.

--Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
The BMW On-Board Navigation System is a feature that enhances the driving pleasure of BMW drivers around the world. Its advanced GPS technology provides accurate, user-friendly information when and where it's needed. However, with 10-15% of routes in Europe changing every year, the system requires regular software up-dates to maintain optimum performance.

BMW is pleased to announce the release of the 2001-1 version of the digital road map CD-ROMs. A total of nine CDs cover the European continent: from freeways, highways, roads and streets to detailed information on restaurants and hotels. And all up-to-date and immediately accessible.

The CD-ROM for Central Europe, for example, now has 12,000 travel destinations more than the old CD. The digital road map for Great Britain now has every single house number for every city in its index.

In Germany, drivers have access to an enormous database which now contains more than 103,000 travel destinations, 27,000 restaurants and 13,000 hotels. The new CD-ROMS also enable enhanced traffic-jam warning services for most European countries: the sophisticated BMW Navigation computer then immediately calculates an alternative route.

Detailed information of the newest version of the digital road maps is available from the BMW Website: simply click here:
http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/products/equip/telematics/navigation/

BMW wishes you safe and pleasurable driving.

BMW AG

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Originally posted by Brian R:
Brian R.,

This is all very nice for those of us on your side of the "pond", but what about the under privilaged citizens on this side?

Mark

The BMW On-Board Navigation System is a feature that enhances the driving pleasure of BMW drivers around the world. Its advanced GPS technology provides accurate, user-friendly information when and where it's needed. However, with 10-15% of routes in Europe changing every year, the system requires regular software up-dates to maintain optimum performance.

BMW is pleased to announce the release of the 2001-1 version of the digital road map CD-ROMs. A total of nine CDs cover the European continent: from freeways, highways, roads and streets to detailed information on restaurants and hotels. And all up-to-date and immediately accessible.

The CD-ROM for Central Europe, for example, now has 12,000 travel destinations more than the old CD. The digital road map for Great Britain now has every single house number for every city in its index.

In Germany, drivers have access to an enormous database which now contains more than 103,000 travel destinations, 27,000 restaurants and 13,000 hotels. The new CD-ROMS also enable enhanced traffic-jam warning services for most European countries: the sophisticated BMW Navigation computer then immediately calculates an alternative route.

Detailed information of the newest version of the digital road maps is available from the BMW Website: simply click here:
http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/products/equip/telematics/navigation/

BMW wishes you safe and pleasurable driving.

BMW AG

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It still amazes me that the folks at BMW Germany are still putting a funky cassette tape player in a car as nice as the M5!! ARGH!!!

At least give us a slot where we can select which pop-in we want (similar to what Chrysler offers inside the Jeep). This way if you don't want the cassette, it is just a quick change to pop in the single CD!

I think I will have my local Custom Car Stereo place move my changer to the glove box?.. they tell me this is possible?

anyone else done this? experiences good or bad please?

Andy M.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
what erks me the most is how slow the nav is. You will get sooooo lost if you make the slightest mistake. The distance control is also vague. I like the nav system in my mercedes a bit better, though also not that good. The best feature is a little bar that is put to the side once you get about 1/4 mile from your turn, this bar gets smaller and smaller, and it gives you a much better feel of when to turn. This makes a big difference when there are lots of streets you could turn into. The best nav i saw put these ones to shame. First it was on a dvd, very nice because you have the whole country. Second the calculations were instantaneous. It took about 10 seconds maximum to figure out the directions, no matter how far i programmed it. Second, if you make a mistake, it recalculated literally by the time you messed up, a split second. It was amazing. I think it is offered by alpine. And third it also let you get a birds eye view, looked very nice. the map would redraw in a second flat, whether you went off the map, or resizing, i was set aback when i saw how nice this system was, it made our systems look like they are out of the stone age, no comparison, put our stuff too shame. I was thouroghly dissapointed when i looked at mine again.

fas

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there any chance to upgrade the navigation system with the Alpine product via aftermarket resources?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
hey hank
you could install it, but i dont think you could integrate it into our stock system

if there was a way, i would seriously consider it.

fas

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fas,
It would seem reasonable that the factory display device should be able to display output from many sources. If you think of the factory display as a CRT like a computer uses it does not matter what the source is the display simply acts as a presentation layer/device.

Has anyone out there ever investigated this option.

I do agree the nav system is slow and the user experience is poor.

[This message has been edited by hank (edited 27 October 2000).]

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
hey hank,

yes this is true. but i mean integrated as in using the screen commands to get to the gps, and showing the distances, eta's on the dash display. You could use some sort of external a/b switch, but i dont know if you could use it with the integrated controls.

fas

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great points, I guess what I'm looking for is an aftermarket company to do the R&D like Dinan on the performance side and come up with a solution for the BMW need.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
hank,
Any ideas on who might do such a thing? I'm sure there has to be someone. I'm assuming that the audio system is from Alpine? Perhaps that's the place to start.

--Dan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dan,
I haven't heard of anything, but I'm going to be checking with the local Alpine guys this weekend. I'll let you know.

------------------
-hank
00 Lamans Blue
Dinan Stage III Suspension
Dinan Software Upgrade
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Strut Braces

1 - 20 of 23 Posts