BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do these cool headlights work? Does the ring around the light stay on with the parking lamps or daytime runing lights, or high beams?

What's the deal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have just installed the new headlights on my BMW and they look great. The rearlights are being replaced next week.

The lights have an outer ring around the "normal" light /daytime running lights as you call them. But there are also a ring around the high beam light.

There are several pages, where you can see the lights in "action".

Michael, Denmark

look at this website: http://www.geocities.com/bmwxenons/front1.jpg

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by BMW-Mike:
Hi,

I have just installed the new headlights on my BMW and they look great. The rearlights are being replaced next week.

The lights have an outer ring around the "normal" light /daytime running lights as you call them. But there are also a ring around the high beam light.

There are several pages, where you can see the lights in "action".

Michael, Denmark

look at this website: http://www.geocities.com/bmwxenons/front1.jpg
Why did you do the change and how much did it cost ?

------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
I changed the frontlights mainly, because the right one, had a little damage made by a stone. The difference from the right(new) to the left(old) was pretty visable, so therefore they were both replaced by the new facelifted lights.

It´s not cheap, here in Denmark (Europe) I paid around:

800$ - Frontlights.
600$ - Rearlights. The prices is with labour.

But I have to admit, it is a lot of money, but then again....

·
Registered
781 Posts
mike, did you replace all front lights including the originial xenon lights? I received a quote from my local dealer for about US$900 per side, 1800 total, for the front headlights not including labor. i have read, on another topic of this post, that there exists a kit that utilizes the existing xenon bulbs. is this what you used?

steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Steve,

I (the mechanic)did use the existing xenon bulbs, as I understood it, but i´ll talk to him tomorrow and post an answar afterwards.

But the owner of the BMW shop, where I bought my BMW is a good friend of mine, so the price may be a little bit of. But I will look into it.

The country i´m living in, is not very car friendly. So when we buy a car here, we have to pay for tree (taxes). That means a BMW M5 costs around 170.000$. Stupid is´t it... Therefore we have to save on the equipment, haha, as you can see on the prices.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, i can confirm, i got now the invoice for my upgrade :
the front headlight "facelift kit" as BMW Switzerland named it costed ~800 USD and the taillights kit ~350 USD
They added 200 USD of work, total was ~1350 USD.

And it works perfectly, as a 2001 model.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mike/DK = BMW-Mike (something wrong with my password).

Hi Tom,

I paid around 1400$ for the change, front and rear lights. Don´t they look great at night???

But if it´s worth it?...I think so.

What do the other members think???

G

·
0 Posts
Does anyone have part #s and you guys in europe are youre lense clear or amber

·
Registered
48 Posts
Saw a 01 in black yesterday while in for an oil change. What I noticed in addition to the obvious was that the headlamp lenses were clear unlike my car which is a 1/00 build. Is this new for 01 or do late 00 have these lights? I thought this difference was almost as big as the rings and indicators, at least when off.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I emailed bmwna at the owners' circle on the web site regarding a a 2001 light facelift kit under the "priority" email section--according the website they are supposed to respond w/in 24 hours. it has now been a week.

does anybody have any further information (part #s, etc.) on the kit?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Originally posted by BMW-Mike:
Hi Steve,

I (the mechanic)did use the existing xenon bulbs, as I understood it, but i´ll talk to him tomorrow and post an answar afterwards.

But the owner of the BMW shop, where I bought my BMW is a good friend of mine, so the price may be a little bit of. But I will look into it.

The country i´m living in, is not very car friendly. So when we buy a car here, we have to pay for tree (taxes). That means a BMW M5 costs around 170.000$. Stupid is´t it... Therefore we have to save on the equipment, haha, as you can see on the prices.
Were you able to re-use the Xenon lamps from the old headlights?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts