1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the owner, the 00 M5 comes with no spare or
jacks. He states that he has BMW assist and if anything was
to happen, that he would call them. And BMW assist would
come out and tow him to a dealership to get a spare and etc.

OK HOW LONG DOES THE BMW ASSIST last??
Probably to 100K miles.. " SO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO
DO AFTER THE BMW ASSIST RUN OUT"???grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

LEAVE A M5 STRANDED ON THE ROAD IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE??
Its freaking ridicilous.

IS that just for the 00's?? or the newer ones still have no Spare or jack??
If so. ANY OF YOU want to SELL IT??

·
Registered
148 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
According to the owner, the 00 M5 comes with no spare or
jacks. He states that he has BMW assist and if anything was
to happen, that he would call them. And BMW assist would
come out and tow him to a dealership to get a spare and etc.

OK HOW LONG DOES THE BMW ASSIST last??
Probably to 100K miles.. " SO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO
DO AFTER THE BMW ASSIST RUN OUT"???grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

LEAVE A M5 STRANDED ON THE ROAD IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE??
Its freaking ridicilous.

IS that just for the 00's?? or the newer ones still have no Spare or jack??
If so. ANY OF YOU want to SELL IT??
No late model ///M car has a spare. (E46M3, E39M5, E36/8 M coupe, E36/7 M roadster) They all have the m mobility kit. If you call BMW assist you get placed higher on their priority list. (some old lady with a broke down car in the middle of the highway in a snowstorm needing her meds may be higher) BMW assist is free for the life of the above cars.

·
Registered
321 Posts
AFAIK the E39 M5s never came with a spare or a tire jack. Because of the quad exhaust in the back, they had to take out the spare tire. In its place is an air compressor. The oem wheels are also run flats, which would allow you to keep driving on a flat tire so you can get to a garage. There is also a tire pressure warning system that would warn you in case of low pressure in the tires. BMW roadside assistance is nice, but once that runs out you could always just get AAA. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Once burnt, twice learnt...

I have a front tire/wheel in my trunk- having been stranded for hours at night on the freeway and then needing to be flat bedded for 70 miles (tire was not fixable)

Pretty ridiculous- if you search you will see it is a long time problem /issue for years...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine's the same came with air compressor and sealant can ... at the very least buy a larger new can of sealant as they do work but after a few years you will probably find that some or all of the gas may have leaked out.
Common problem especially with cars on 2 tyre sizes.
Running M5 tyres flat or nearly flat even for a few miles more or less guarantees that the tyre is scrap anyway - at least that's my experience.

Red.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
crnjyM5 said:
AFAIK the E39 M5s never came with a spare or a tire jack. Because of the quad exhaust in the back, they had to take out the spare tire. In its place is an air compressor. The oem wheels are also run flats, which would allow you to keep driving on a flat tire so you can get to a garage. There is also a tire pressure warning system that would warn you in case of low pressure in the tires. BMW roadside assistance is nice, but once that runs out you could always just get AAA. Hope this helps.

E39 M5s never shipped with run-flats. I do as ARD does, I carry a spare front with a cheap Kumho tire on it, strapped in the trunk. I also had to buy the jack and lug wrench.. pretty amazing for an $80K car. But lucky for me, after 4.5 years, I've never used it or the M "Blow-me" kit.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Strange, I always thought the car just came with runflats. The Stealer did mention that it will be coming with runflats when I asked them about the spare. But they did not charge me anything extra when I received it new, so I just assumed its supposed to come with it. Maybe they lied to me? :confused2

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
crnjyM5 said:
Strange, I always thought the car just came with runflats. The Stealer did mention that it will be coming with runflats when I asked them about the spare. But they did not charge me anything extra when I received it new, so I just assumed its supposed to come with it. Maybe they lied to me? :confused2
IIRC, the cars shipped with either Dunlop 8080s or Michelin Pilot Sports. Mine came with Pilot Sports.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny thing is.. it doesn't have to be a full size spare.

Hell a little donut would do, at at least a jack and wrench, at the very least.

in a situation i prefer taking things on my own hands, change the tire and do what
need to do. Instead of being at the mercy of BMW assist or AAA. Having me or my wife with the kid being stranged some where waiting on a grease monkey to find/get
to them to fix a tire. Hell my wife knows how to change a tire. And even if she didn't
want to change it. . I could always go and do it..

But with no tire jack or wrench.. WTF would I do..???

So know where I can find a cheap *** spare I can put in the trunk??
and a jack or should I just carry around my 4ton h ydrolic in the trunk??

thanks folks.. sorry just found out and i found it to be very annoying.
that BMW would sell a car this expensive and not have a spare/jack/wrench.

I understand the run flat arguement and etc. BUT the bottom line is
you NEVER NEVER KNOW. big enough Hole?? you screwd, Side wall blows,
your screwed, hit a curb. you are jacked.

and imagine if your navigation breaks, which i found often do. and you have
no idea where the hell you are.. and at the mercy of a grease monkey
bothers me

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:

Lots of threads on this when the cars were new, no one came up with a donut (spacesaver) option. I just got a used front wheel (which will fit on the rear without a spacer, a rear wheel will not fit the front without one).

So know where I can find a cheap *** spare I can put in the trunk??
and a jack or should I just carry around my 4ton h ydrolic in the trunk??

You can buy an E39 jack, it fits in the trunk under the mat above the battery no problem, and an E39 lug wrench fits in the tool area. Also consider getting that metal alignment stud which makes putting the wheels on much easier on the side of the road.

Bill

·
Registered
263 Posts
Im just asking my self, why all M power has no spare tyer or Jack??

Is there any reason for that or just to reduce the weight of the car

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:

Just keep in mind, the space saver will still be loose in the trunk, there is no compartment.

BRN64666 said:
Im just asking my self, why all M power has no spare tyer or Jack??

Is there any reason for that or just to reduce the weight of the car
Exhaust sucks up all of the under trunk space..so... no room for a spare.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
In 36 years of driving I have had 3 flat tires. You may be more likely to need a spare serpentine belt or cam sensor than a spare tire - I have replaced two sensors, so far.

Steve
00 M5, bought new. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
TurboCarrera said:
In 36 years of driving I have had 3 flat tires. You may be more likely to need a spare serpentine belt or cam sensor than a spare tire - I have replaced two sensors, so far.

Steve
00 M5, bought new. :M5thumbs:
In 10 months of M5 ownership (out of 33years of driving), I've had two punctures and a broken wheel.

Go figure.

:)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I used BMW assist just last month, would have cost $205.00 for the tow.
They called a flatbed which arrived in less then 45 minutes from the call.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I don't carry a spare or jack in any of my cars.

I read somewhere that 90% of flats happen in the last 10% of tread life. Good advice to live by.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My car's previous owner used his m-mobility kit according to the receipts. There's an invoice for main-stealer priced replacement tyre plus like 80 quid or something to recharge the m-mobility thing. I suggest carrying around a supersize fix-a-flat aerosol and only use the m-mobility kit compressor if necessary.

Andy

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
But with no tire jack or wrench.. WTF would I do..???

I understand the run flat arguement and etc. BUT the bottom line is
you NEVER NEVER KNOW. big enough Hole?? you screwd, Side wall blows,
your screwed, hit a curb. you are jacked.
Valve stem fails, no amount of goo will save you. You are screwed again!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
ard said:
In 10 months of M5 ownership (out of 33years of driving), I've had two punctures and a broken wheel.
Isn't it amazing how luck runs? I blew 3 tires on my truck (and had a nice leak in the 4th!) on one drive home from work. Of course, I ran past a construction site. The the sad part, the week before I had a flat. Then when they replaced all of the tires, they destroyed one of the wheels (anyone understand why an alloy wheel would not like a sledgehammer hitting the inside of it (or a torch heating up the lugnut), all because the idiots stripped the lugnut? hiha ). The same month, two flats in my car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts