BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was told that the 2000 M5 had a different chrome shadow oem rim then the 2001+. Is there any thruth to this?
Also if I replace one of my 00 rim with a 01+ will there be a reall difference visually.Thank you for your knowledge
J

·
Registered
767 Posts
I remember reading at least one post stating that the new OEM wheel replacement was different in color. I have a 2000 M5 with additional 2001 rims. I'll compare them to see.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
DIPLOMAT said:
Hello,

I was told that the 2000 M5 had a different chrome shadow oem rim then the 2001+. Is there any thruth to this?
Also if I replace one of my 00 rim with a 01+ will there be a reall difference visually.Thank you for your knowledge
J
There were different shades between those years and even between different build dates in the same year.

Mark

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Side by side, the shades are different. Noticable to an enthusiast, but probably not to somebody walking by the car.

Travis

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
There is a difference. My 2001 had damaged wheels from acidic wheel cleaner applied by a really bad detailer in Alhambra called Butch's Beauty Shine. I replaced all of the wheels and found that the replacement ones from BMW parts were a lot brighter. I didn't like it. The brighter wheels that I received had that horrible overly chrome type look that I hate. I absolutely hate black cars with bright chrome wheels. It is the worst looking combination out there. Yes, I noticed a difference.

You may call me crazy, but in my desire to achieve the less chrome look, I actually applied acidic wheel cleaner in a controlled way to dull the brightness of my wheels. After ruining one wheel, I found it actually worked, and my M5 wheels now have that more shadowy look that I remember when my car was originally delivered.

I just received a replacement wheel for the one I ruined and it seems that it has the original look that I remember, darker with more of a shadow look.
It must vary between batches or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts