BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Introduction: This document is intended to fill in some missing pieces in the process of retro-fitting Sirius satellite radio to 2000 and possibly later M5s. The process is simpler for 2003 M5s. I must give credit to all the great sources of information that did all the real hard work. I am just trying to fill in some small gaps. Those sources include (Forgive and contact me if miss someone!):

Martin Bishop of www.bimmernav.com
Ard
El Mono
Gustav
Mottati
mdernst

References:
www.bimmernav.com
www.m5board.com
Navigation Forum of bimmerboard
BMW Install Instructions:
Sirius Receiver Installation Kit
New Generation Radio Retrofit Kit
Sirius Magnet – Mount Low Profile Antenna Kit

Parts(list from bimmernav):

Mark IV Navigation Computer with firmware Version 3.0 or higher
BMW Trunk Mount Radio: 65-12-6-927-910. There may be other radios that work. I am certain that this one will work.
Sirius Satellite Radio: 84-11-0-153-365
Old to New style radio wiring harness: 61-12-6-913-957
Old to New style radio antenna harness: 61-12-6-913-955
Old to New style audio input adapter: 61-12-6-924-785
Six Wire CD Changer cable (6 ft): 61-12-0-140-716
Sirius to CD Changer adapter cable: 84-11-0-141-978

Additional Parts:
Install kit: 84-11-0-141-975
Antenna (BMW): 84-11-0-392-099 (There are other options that might work as well such as the TERK SIR3 with TERK SIR-SP and the Nissan SIGMA)

Overview: The combination of Gustav’s post of Ard's write-up and the bimmernav web site provide most of what you need to do this retro-fit. What is missing for pre-2003 M5s is some details on how to wire-up/connect the new radio as well as the Sirius radio and CD changer. Here is the big picture. You will replace your trunk mounted radio with a new radio that is Sirius “aware” and is capable of switching inputs between the Sirius radio and the CD Changer. In order to connect the new radio to car’s built in wiring harness you will need to use the adapter harnesses listed above. You will then change how your CD Changer connects to the car. You will go from using a direct digital connection to your DSP to an analog connection daisy-chained through the Sirius radio up to the radio. This means that the Sirius radio and CD changer will share the same connection to the AM/FM radio. A thought before you start is that you might want to do this install twice. Once to just get the pieces connected and working and a second time to do it pretty and taped/secured.

Open Issues:

1) It appears that older CD Changers might not work with this retro-fit. Mine did not. I had everything hooked and working but when I selected the CD Changer, the sound was low and “scratchy”. I checked with some of the experts and they had experienced the same behavior. The recommendation was to replace the CD Changer with one that would have come from a 2004 X5. I found this BMW Changer P/N: 82-11-0-028-760. The sound was much better! However issue two is still there but very minor.
2) From posts on the M5 Board, several owners (even those with ’03 M5s) have reported that the CD Changer continues to play after the mode switches to another input. My new Changer also has this behavior. Given how awesome Sirius is, it is a small price to pay. If some one knows the P/N of an OEM changer that does not have this problem, please share it with us. Another option is to install an MP3 in place of the CD Changer. Many have done this and not reported any problems. Board member BrainS has reported that radio part # 65-12-6-964-398 fixes this problem.

Details:

I recommend removing all existing equipment from where it currently mounted. The link provides some good instructions. Be sure to disconnect you battery before disconnecting any wiring.

http://www.bimmernav.com/5MKIV.htm

With all the equipment out of the car, now might be a good time to run the antenna cable. You have some choices here. The two major choices are to install it on the roof, in which case you should drill a hole in the trunk to run the wire from the outside to the trunk(see the second link below for a pdf on how to do this). Or, if you choose to install above/below the parcel shelf you can either fish it from below up along the C-Pillar or drill a hole from below.

There has been a lot discussion about where to place the antenna on the M5 board. Check these links out:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51447
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52920

Time now to begin re-assembly. Find the built-in radio harness this is where you connect one end of the adapter harness to connect the new style radio. Here is a picture of it. You now need to build the adapter harness.

Here are the steps:
1) Complete the Six Wire CD changer cable. You will use this cable to connect the Sirius radio to the AM/FM radio. It comes partially assembled as shown below

You will need to plug in the loose wires in the following locations on the small black block(The holes are numbered if you look closely):
Pin Cable Function
2 White-Brown Audio common from 6CD player
8 White-Red Audio Left Channel from 6CD player
9 White-Blue Audio Right Channel from 6CD player
Next snap the black block into the larger white block. See item A) in picture below.

2) Connect the audio input adapter to the radio wiring adapter. The audio input adapter is “double-headed”. This can be confusing as you will only use on of the two cables. You will use on the cables that have the black plastic connector. The other cable with the white connector will not be used. You can tape it off with electrical tape as you complete the assembly. Here is the audio input adapter:

Plug the end with the black plastic connector in to the “new” end of the radio wiring harness (the end with slots). You want to put it into the slot on the side opposite the radio wires. The other end with a metal case plugs into the block connector on the existing harness. Where this gets tricky is that there are two ways to orient the connection. If you get it right, you will be able to hear the navigation voice and tape player. If you get it wrong, you won’t (so flip it over!). You should also check out the diagram in the Installation Kit for new generation radio pdf for a hint.

3) Plug in the Six Wire CD changer cable into the other slot.

4) Connect the adapter harness to the built-in harness. If you are SURE of your connections you can tape it all together. You might want to test the whole setup and then go back to pretty things up.

5) Connect the Aerial adapter harness to the built-in harness.

6) Replace DSP and brackets.
7) Install new radio using adapter harnesses and secure with brackets.
8) Install Sirius brackets if you have the install kit and mount the Sirius radio.
9) Connect the Six Wire CD Input cable from the AM/FM radio to Sirius radio.
10) Connect the 3 wire power cable that had been connected to CD Changer to Sirius radio.
11) Connect the Sirius adapter cable to slot in the Sirius radio.

12) Plug the Six wire connector to the analog port on the CD Changer and the 3 wire connector into the power port on the CD Changer.
13) Mount CD Changer.
14) Connect Sirius Antenna following directions included with antenna.
15) Check everything. You completed setup should look something like the picture below.

16) Re-connect battery
17) Pull the car out to location that has a clear view of the sky.
18) Turn-on car and set new radio to USA mode. If your radio is not set to USA mode, you will not see a Sirius Mode on your NAV display. Here are instructions from Martin Bishop:
“Turn the radio on and immediately push and hold the SEL button for 5-10 seconds until the radio serial number is shown. Using the <> key scroll until you find the area mode- it may be in Europe or Noarea. Use the number keys to select USA, maybe #1 or 2.”
19) Select Sirius mode on display and see if you hear anything…
20) If so, Success!! Get your Sirius S/N and call up to activate. I recommend telling them that you have a BMW OEM receiver that you need to activate it. With luck you might be able to get a free year’s service, I did. I have heard some people where not so lucky. You might want to hang up and
try another service rep.

Whew! That's it! Sirius Rocks! Thanks to all who made this possible!
Good Luck!
Dave
:cheers:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice write up Dave.

One item of note. I have hardware version 1.0.1 of the Mark IV (DVD) navigation and Sirius works fine. Here's a picture of the sticker on my NAV unit:

Me loves me Sirius! :^)

Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,
Thanks for the feedback! So you must have a newer version or close varient of the Mark IV. Very good to know!

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Thread digging here... Most of these part numbers seem invalid, do you guys know how I can find the replacement part #'s? Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you called Crevier, or Circle .. or your favorite "online" BMW parts distributer, I'm sure they can give you the up to date and latest part numbers. Additionally bimmernav.com is still up, while I didn't recurse the website, I'm sure the info is still there as well.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Intravee and SIRALP-1 tuner is an alternative. Fully integrated, but not quite as much functionality as the OEM system. You don't need the new radio module or Nav computer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like this option - Question for RichardP

Intravee and SIRALP-1 tuner is an alternative. Fully integrated, but not quite as much functionality as the OEM system. You don't need the new radio module or Nav computer.
Richard: I like this option and would like to implement it to get Sirius. I have a 2001 M5. Aside from the Intravee and SIR-AP1, can you guide me on what else I need to buy, e.g. digital-analog, other interface cables?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If you have DSP then it's likely you'll need an A/D converter. The best way to check is with your existing CD Changer - if you get audio with the 3 pin and coaxial cable then you require the A/D converter, if you get audio with the 3 pin and 6 pin plug then you don't.

Apart from that all you need is the Intravee and SIRALP-1. The SIRALP-1 should come with one AI-Net cable which connects it to the Intravee and a Sirius antenna. It would also be good to be able to connect a PC up to the Intravee so you can do firmware updates in the future, you'll need a serial connection either using a built in serial port or USB/Serial adapter. The serial port D connector on the Intravee has nuts on, so you'll need either a serial extension cable with screws on both ends or a USB/Serial adapter with screws on the serial port end. If the USB/Serial adapter has nuts, you'll need a serial extension cable with screws both ends also.

I believe current Intravee firmware does not support the SIRALP-10T, but development firmware does (but no Traffic support). Not sure about the status of the Alpine KCA-SC100 and SCC1.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you have DSP then it's likely you'll need an A/D converter. The best way to check is with your existing CD Changer - if you get audio with the 3 pin and coaxial cable then you require the A/D converter, if you get audio with the 3 pin and 6 pin plug then you don't.

Thanks Richard. I will check my CD changer tonight. With this setup, will I still have a CD changer or do I lose it?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
You'll lose the BMW CD Changer. But if you want a CD Changer you can connect up any Alpine AI-Net CD Changer (CHA-S604, CHA-S605, CHA-S614, CHA-S624, CHA-S634, CHA-1204, CHA-1214) to the pass through port on the SIRALP-1. The 6 disc changers are physically the same as the OEM changer, so you can use the same brackets to mount them. The CHA-S634 will play MP3's too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Help!

I'm trying to unplug the cable connectors from back of CD nav computer. Tried grabbing the sides of the plastic connectors with pliers and prying with a flathead screwdrive but they won't budge. Don't want to break them, am I missing something easy here?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Just to the left (in your picture) there is a small tab on the top of each connector. Press the tab and then rotate the black lever to the left, the plugs will slide upwards and out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts