BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what should an e34 3.6 run? last night we used the racelogic gps system in my car and found 5 sec to 60 14.4 to 100. no reaction times as it starts when you pull away but what figures can i hope to get?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Quoted figures here in the UK by Autocar were....

0-60 mph 6.4
0-100mph 15.6

Standing 1/4 15.0

September 1990.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
That's similar figures to what I remember from the BMW Gold Portfolio book I have somewhere.

0-99mph 14.9 seconds at exactly the quarter mile point, 14.9 !!

If that GPS system is recording 14.4 to 100mph, that tallys with a few people's quarter mile times posted in ages past, but that 5.0 seconds to 60 seems a tad quick.

I wonder if the unit is triggering start when it detects movement but lagging a fraction of a second first?

Either way, sounds like your car is in fine fettle, matching the factory figures 13+ years on is a testament to BMW's engine build quality.

Bear in mind that factory figures are got with drive-like-you-stole-it gearchanges and a free lorryload of shrinkwrapped clutches parked up nearby, so the fact you are getting anywhere near "factory" is wonderful.

Regards

Ivan

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I've done a 14.1 @ 101mph in perfect conditions.

Autocar tested a 6speed 3.8 at

5.4sec >60mph
13.6sec >100mph.

Agree with Ivan,
60mph in 5 is a bit quick !

And E34 speedos do over read a bit.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It's a black & white clip, so no red..
But the 180 speed & rpm calibration confirm its an ///M

Cheers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we werent using speedo as system is gps based.my car has 30 thousand on a new engine and isnt quite standard. very happy with it though. with the same gps ime .2 of a second slower than an e46 m3

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was timing my car this weekend and did a 1/4 mile in 7 seconds....a flying quarter that is...on the interstate! ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Question for the UK guys...how come you're using MPH for your speed timing and not KPH? :confused2

...a curious yank :United_States:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Question for the UK guys...how come you're using MPH for your speed timing and not KPH? :confused2

...a curious yank :United_States:
Er...because we use miles over here not that continental killermeters.

That's why you use miles as well - you're just an English colony after all :p

Your gallon is smaller than ours becuase when the original barrell was taken over with a 'gallon' in it, some of it leaked/spilt and you assumed that what you had left was still a gallon :hihi:

·
Registered
207 Posts
The 5 second indication came up before you'd hit 60 on the dial, and it was another second before you hit 65 on the dial (which is about 60mph road speed).
meh, no biggie. My gearing an speedometer is dead on however, I know this because I was pulled over twice for going 75mph (I really was going 75) and not only that, but the speed calculator from gearing and tire size is also dead on as I hit the rev limiter.

but I digress, you're probably right

and yes its really an m5 :3:

·
Registered
86 Posts
..so your telling me that speedometers and odometers in the UK register miles and not killermeters? still confused...:confused2 What countries register kilometers?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
..so your telling me that speedometers and odometers in the UK register miles and not killermeters? still confused...:confused2 What countries register kilometers?
Mainland Europe - in the UK and Ireland our cars read in MPH.

... albeit in Ireland the signs are in KM/H :confused2

·
Registered
86 Posts
Learn something new every day...what about LHD and RHD cars? You got a mix of them too?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
We drive on the left, have right hand drive cars, MPH speedos,
A mile is a mile and one last thing,
absolutely none of us talk cockney like that guy does in Oceans 11.
cherrsagai

And a gallon is an Imperial Gallon !

And we pay too much for it........FAR TOO MUCH !
:grrrrr:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Everything I know about GB I learned from Benny Hill, Monty Python, Led Zeppelin and James Bond..is that not an accurate depiction? I used to drive a '64 MGB:Great_Britain:. Learned how to be a mechanic with that car. I owe all of my mechanical abilities to what I learned working on the B....without those abilities, I probably wouldn't be able to work on the M5.

...and we dont all talk with a southern accent, live in the hills, and marry our first cousins either. :haha2:...at least some of us don't. WE all have LHD cars, drive on the right hand side, (even Canada and Mexico) and purchase fuel by the standard gallon:usa:.
Paid $3.08/gallon for premium yesterday. (that would be 4 quarts)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We drive on the left, have right hand drive cars, MPH speedos,
A mile is a mile and one last thing,
absolutely none of us talk cockney like that guy does in Oceans 11.
cherrsagai

And a gallon is an Imperial Gallon !

And we pay too much for it........FAR TOO MUCH !
:grrrrr:

<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
fuel by the standard gallon:usa:.
Paid $3.08/gallon for premium yesterday. (that would be 4 quarts)
We are paying around £1.04 for a litre at the moment.

Going the scenic route as it's more fun...

There are 4.546 litres to a UK gallon, so we currently pay £4.73 a gallon.

There are 1.2 Imperial gallons to a US gallon, so when the revolution comes and we become the 51st State, we will be paying £3.94 for our new reduced barrel of smelly fun.

£1.04 is $2.04 at the moment says xe.com currency converter...

...so we in the UK are driving around paying $7.71 per US gallon, you pay $3.08 for it! Grr!!

The insane thing is that the maths says we are paying $1650 more per tonne (1000kg) than you. Deep sea freight shipping for scrap metal is about $75 per tonne from the USA to a Mediterranean port. Does anyone have a ship I could borrow? I will also need a quiet beach and about two miles of flexible hose.

Regards

Ivan

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Everything I know about GB I learned from Benny Hill, Monty Python, Led Zeppelin and James Bond..is that not an accurate depiction?

<!-- / message -->

Ahh well you see all the above is true..!

;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts