BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What the Auto Motor und Sport review says:

- You are completely wrong if you think the M6 is just an M5 in the guise of a 6 series. The M6 drives totally different.

- The shift speeds of the SMG vary between 600 ms and 65 ms depending on programe and revs.

- M6 accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 4,2 s and reaches 200 km/h in 13 s with Pirelli P Zero Corsa tyres.

- M6 has got more aggressive brakes compared to the M5 due to really nasty grabbing brake linings.

- M6 hardly leans to its sides in corners.

- Stiff suspension and loud brakes. Poor traction on wet surfaces.

- M6 hasn't got the well-balanced nature of the M5. It is more a thoroughbred racer.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Maybe the poor traction on wet surfaces is down to the Pirellis :confused2 could be better with Contis or Michelins...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
asturias said:
Maybe the poor traction on wet surfaces is down to the Pirellis :confused2 could be better with Contis or Michelins...
The review says that the strong point of the Pirelli P Zero Corsa is performance on dry surfaces. The Contis are good on wet roads.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
- M6 accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 4,2 s and reaches 200 km/h in 13 s with Pirelli P Zero Corsa tyres.

- M6 has got more aggressive brakes compared to the M5 due to really nasty grabbing brake linings.

Thanks for the post.

Most impressive numbers. What does "grabbing brake linings" mean? How does this imply to "more aggressive brakes compared to the M5"?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
M6 Forever said:
Thanks for the post.

Most impressive numbers. What does "grabbing brake linings" mean? How does this imply to "more aggressive brakes compared to the M5"?
The article says that the M6 has got "giftiger zupackende Bremsbelege".

I think they mean that the brake pads press harder against the brake discs.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
That car is really fast. You guys who has one on order, I wish I was in your shoes. Excellent choice.

BTW isnt the acceleration in SL/CL65 territory?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
markf said:
yes very similar to Sl65.

Loads of us have them on order.
And all this for half the price :1:

Trust me, If I had the money, I would buy a M6 too. Fast and good looking, make sure you post pics here when get yours. You guys in UK seem to like M cars, all sold to year 2007.
http://www.itv-motoring.com/news/2005/may/24/6172.asp

·
Registered
776 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
What the Auto Motor und Sport review says:

- You are completely wrong if you think the M6 is just an M5 in the guise of a 6 series. The M6 drives totally different.

- The shift speeds of the SMG vary between 600 ms and 65 ms depending on programe and revs.

Please post whole article. Thanks!

KIP

- M6 hardly leans to its sides in corners.

- Stiff suspension and loud brakes. Poor traction on wet surfaces.

- M6 hasn't got the well-balanced nature of the M5. It is more a thoroughbred racer.

·
Banned
481 Posts
The trap speed according to that article is 121 mph, that can't be right. That would mean this car is a hell of a lot faster than an m5 and all the acceleration numbers posted for the m5. I mean, 121 mph is just a couple mph off a murcielago and right there with a viper and faster than a gallardo. I think these numbers have to be kind of optimistic but I hope they are true in which case the m6 is utterly mind blowing.

·
Registered
776 Posts
CURI0 said:
The trap speed according to that article is 121 mph, that can't be right. That would mean this car is a hell of a lot faster than an m5 and all the acceleration numbers posted for the m5. I mean, 121 mph is just a couple mph off a murcielago and right there with a viper and faster than a gallardo. I think these numbers have to be kind of optimistic but I hope they are true in which case the m6 is utterly mind blowing.
Can someone please post the whole article, it seems very interesting!

KIP

·
Registered
180 Posts
CURI0 said:
http://www.m5board.com/articles.php?id=34&page=3

seems the M5 is as fast as a Gallardo and almost there with a Viper. The M6's claims sound entirely realistic :eek:

·
Registered
704 Posts
M6 Forever said:
It sounds like their test car used a diffrent friction material for the brake pads. Normal street pads have a low coeeficient of friction so you have to press the pad against the disk pretty hard to generate good stoping power. Track/performance pads are made of diffrent material which require less pressure to achieve the same rotor torque. This gives the driver the impressions that the brakes "bite" harder and sooner because it requres less pedal pressure to stop the car.

These more agressive pads also typically make a lot of dust and will generate noise. I doubt BMW would ship these with the car.

The Pirelle Corsa is a track compound tire. Its not meant for street driving and is alone probably subtracting 0.2s off the 0-100kph times. They work well in damp conditions but are useless once you have standing water. Life would be ~6000 miles or less.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts