BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Title:
NEW Heavy Duty Aluminum Cup Holders for E39 5-series & M5 Sedan/Wagon 1997-2003

Application (Please consult your owner's manual for your application fitment type):
All E39 Cars

Product Description (may describe some optional equipment) :
The factory plastic cup holders are prone to failure, can't hold anything firmly, and are flimsy in construction. Every BMW E39 5-series owner has likely had to replace these at one point - sometimes more often. Til now, you had to fidget with replacement units on the side of the console or making one from scratch. Til the Aluminum cupholder came out, there was no simple OE solution.

No more drinks flying out during turns or acceleration. No more broken arms. All Made in the USA!

Details:
  • T6061 aerospace quality aluminum
  • CAD Designed/CNC Machined
  • Heavy duty anodized flat black, blends in with center console
  • OE Fitment
  • Holds: Any standard US soda cans, plastic water bottles, paper coffee/tea cups, fast food paper cups not exceeding 2-5/8” OD
  • 100% Made In USA!!!

Installation:
  • OEM fitment
  • No alteration of OEM center console
  • Philips-head screwdriver (X),
  • Reuse OEM screws
  • Installs in under 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Folds in as well?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Are these available? I couldn't find them on your website...probably right in front of me but I just didn't see them. Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Anyone bought these and installed them yet?

I did. definitely more substantial than the plastic oem ones, but do have some quirks to them. the spring and release mechanism is a little more touchy than the oem one and does require some fine tuning with the screws underneath to set tension to hold them closed.

the drivers side/left hand door does seem to be hitting something when installed and mine wont close. I got an email back from umnitza that the wold be posting a solution for this soon though.

overall better than my broken OEM ones but slightly disappointed that it was not 100% plug and play out of the box. not giving up hope yet though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
from thread on bf.c

The driver's side cupholder does not close due to a duct behind the unit.
We discovered this yesterday while completely disassembling the whole dash.

This situation has few remedies.
1) Keep the driver's side open all the time
2) Shave off 1/3 of the little extension arm <-- not a good idea
3) Grind down the duct by about 1/3rd of an inch <-- not a good idea

EDIT:
It does actually appear that on SOME cars, this location on the driver's side may not be an issue, more research is necessary.

For some remedy #1 will be sufficient. For other obviously, not.

I have a call in today with Janos so we can find an engineering fix for this. There is a really good reason why the BMW cupholders break, which is subsequently the real reason they fit. They have a "kink" in the center of each holder that allows the unit to fold onto itself created a much smaller profile.

Some good news.
This is the first release of the product, so we hope to have some changes done even to existing units, there is a good future on this product, though it's a little limited now.

The fit is the same as the factory units, nice, tight, etc.

The adjustment screws once properly adjusted do actually allow the units to operated much the same way as stock units, with slightly firmer push in and pull out requirements by the user, and it can be finicky to find just the right balance on the unit to allow it to operate properly.

Finally, from an install perspective, it's very useful to be able to pull the "PDC/SPORT/DSC/HEATER/ETC" module out for easier install.

needless to say - disappointed that this was advertised to work on all e39 models and it does not.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone that is waiting for an update, here goes.

The new drv arm has been completed. We should receive all new arms by Friday of next week or the following and mail them out to you free.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Everyone that is waiting for an update, here goes.

The new drv arm has been completed. We should receive all new arms by Friday of next week or the following and mail them out to you free.
Do you have any updated pics of the cupholders?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's been almost 5 months since we first introduced it and due to delays from our supplier and delays in testing we are once again re-introducing the product with a properly re-engineered driver's side (and it will likely be added to the passenger side as well) cup holder.

Tested on the E39 M5, it fits perfectly and works perfectly.

For those that have already ordered and are waiting for the upgrade to this one, you will get your free. It will likely be 2 weeks or thereabouts.

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts