BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading zerocks1 awesome DIY on replacing the angel eye halos I was truly inspired and decided to give it a shot since my angel eyes are barely noticeable when turned ON and the driver-side halos are damaged. But... after removing the driver side headlight assembly things went from bad to worse. The entire wire harness inside the assembly is dry rotted 😩 I haven’t checked the rest of the car for dry rot but I’m assuming this is the reason I got it for so cheap with only 43k miles...

I live in south FL (very ��) which might have contributed to this issue but further research shows this is a fairly common issue especially among german cars. My last car was a Mercedes and the entire main wire harness was dry rotted. Unfortunately there’s no recall for this that I could find.

Amazing, my headlights were still working but that’s a catastrophe waiting to happen, especially with 30kV powering the main headlights.

See attached pics of the damaged wires, gutted headlight assembly (not fun), and wire harness for the driver-side that runs entirely throughout the assembly.

I plan on replacing every wire in the harness, one at a time soldering in replacement wires just before the connectors then sealing with shrink wrap.

It will be a miracle if the headlights still work after putting it all back together...what a mess!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After completely disassembling the headlight assembly I was able to repair the wire harness and it tested good, thank god! Even the adaptive part is working, got real lucky. Taking apart that headlight and putting back together was no joke.

Working on replacing the halos now.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
After reading zerocks1 awesome DIY on replacing the angel eye halos I was truly inspired and decided to give it a shot since my angel eyes are barely noticeable when turned ON and the driver-side halos are damaged. But... after removing the driver side headlight assembly things went from bad to worse. The entire wire harness inside the assembly is dry rotted 😩 I haven’t checked the rest of the car for dry rot but I’m assuming this is the reason I got it for so cheap with only 43k miles...

I live in south FL (very ��) which might have contributed to this issue but further research shows this is a fairly common issue especially among german cars. My last car was a Mercedes and the entire main wire harness was dry rotted. Unfortunately there’s no recall for this that I could find.

Amazing, my headlights were still working but that’s a catastrophe waiting to happen, especially with 30kV powering the main headlights.

See attached pics of the damaged wires, gutted headlight assembly (not fun), and wire harness for the driver-side that runs entirely throughout the assembly.

I plan on replacing every wire in the harness, one at a time soldering in replacement wires just before the connectors then sealing with shrink wrap.

It will be a miracle if the headlights still work after putting it all back together...what a mess!

Glad to see im not the only one with headlight issues on my M6.
My passenger low beam went out, I took the assembly out last night to replace what I thought was a bad bulb only to find out that the wiring to the igniter was crusted off and the bare wires were toughing where they were held by a zip tie from factory. After re wrapping the wires in electrical tape the best I could and reassembling the headlight I was excited to see my headlight come to life... I was wrong :(. No I notice a strange humming noise coming from the headlight as I was testing it yesterday which leads me to believe it may be a ballast or igniter problem. Any help from a local 6 owner would be very much appreciated as I am trying to avoid a very costly used assembly from what I see online!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Guys - Same issue here. I live in Miami and have a Garage Queen 25K 2006 M5. I figured that becauses I replaced the old ANGEL EYES with a brighter ones 4 years ago cause the issue with the wires becoming brittle. However, it seems that this is a common occurrence with these cars.

Both of my Headlight assemblies wiring harness are messed up. I tried to fix them with electric tape today. Lord, the more I touched the wires the worst they got. I removed both Headlights. I am looking at options.
Buy 2 new replacements about $1,200 each (ouch) replace wiring harness and prey that it will work, or have them customized by some company .. not sure of the cost.

Joe, Give me some hope ! How hard is to re-wire.? Maybe you can give me some pointer.

Fernando

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys - Same issue here. I live in Miami and have a Garage Queen 25K 2006 M5. I figured that becauses I replaced the old ANGEL EYES with a brighter ones 4 years ago cause the issue with the wires becoming brittle. However, it seems that this is a common occurrence with these cars.

Both of my Headlight assemblies wiring harness are messed up. I tried to fix them with electric tape today. Lord, the more I touched the wires the worst they got. I removed both Headlights. I am looking at options.
Buy 2 new replacements about $1,200 each (ouch) replace wiring harness and prey that it will work, or have them customized by some company .. not sure of the cost.

Joe, Give me some hope ! How hard is to re-wire.? Maybe you can give me some pointer.

Fernando
Sounds like in your case the headlights will have to be disassembled and connectors unpinned and sleeved with heat shrink or something.
Lengthy task... unfortunately.
I actually solved my issue this afternoon turns out after my wires in headlight assembly arced I think it blew my ballast up. I swapped ballast with driver side today and my passenger side lite up! So I ordered a replacement ballast guess I got
lucky. But I noticed yesterday when wrapping the rotted wires that the only ones that were brittle and falling apart were the wires going to the igniter (only on passenger side, driver side was mint). All the other ones seemed fine.
Cool to hear about guys close to me I’m in Boca Raton my M6 is rocking 123K on the clock
Funny how the pre LCI headlights are so ridiculously priced. I’m finding F body bimmer headlights for like $500-750 dollars yet ours are in the $900-1,200 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Morka777. I just found this wiring restoration guy. He write:

"My harness is missing insulation or it is brittle and flakes off, why?
Thank the manufacture for that, in the late 80 they went to biodegradable insulation, first round was soy based. Then they learned that rodents love soy, round two. This time they changed the formula and rodents no longer feasted on the insulation, but guess what. Heat makes the second generation of insulation brittle, perfect thing for under hood insulation, where it is very hot. The answer to this is to use industrial grade wires, they are not biodegradable. The fact is this, a harness from the 60s through the early 80, should, in theory, last 100 years, usually not due to other factors. That 20 year or so had the best automotive harness, but fuse technology was lacking."

Check out the wesite

Crazy Soy Based insulation. IF I can remove the entire wiring harness from the light assemblyandn I can have him rebuilt it like Joe did his and it is reasonable I will give it a try.

That is amazing 123K miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Morka777. I just found this wiring restoration guy. He write:

"My harness is missing insulation or it is brittle and flakes off, why?
Thank the manufacture for that, in the late 80 they went to biodegradable insulation, first round was soy based. Then they learned that rodents love soy, round two. This time they changed the formula and rodents no longer feasted on the insulation, but guess what. Heat makes the second generation of insulation brittle, perfect thing for under hood insulation, where it is very hot. The answer to this is to use industrial grade wires, they are not biodegradable. The fact is this, a harness from the 60s through the early 80, should, in theory, last 100 years, usually not due to other factors. That 20 year or so had the best automotive harness, but fuse technology was lacking."

Check out the wesite

Crazy Soy Based insulation. IF I can remove the entire wiring harness from the light assemblyandn I can have him rebuilt it like Joe did his and it is reasonable I will give it a try.

That is amazing 123K miles.
Based on my E46 M3 the lens just clipped on and then it’s a matter of little screws and clips. Seems like it’s not difficult to take apart, tricky part will be remembering how to reassemble everything how it was. Lol I believe that’s the hard part. I wish I could tell you specially because both my head light are sitting on my coffee table waiting for me to hopefully polish the lenses a little before new ballast and reinstall. But someone definitely had a go on these headlights in the past because the passenger side is pretty much missing all the tabs and is caked with silicon all the way around and same story for the driver just a few non broken tabs lol.

Yeah she’s a trooper. Had rod bearings and the usual preventative maintenance done 2 weeks ago. Tweaking things and refurbishing a few things here that people in the past didn’t care to do. But overall great condition.

Good luck to you my friend, definitely would love to hear which route you end up taking a specially if done locally!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What’s up guys, sorry for the late reply. This procedure was time consuming but very do-able with patience and the right tools.

I have my hands full at the moment but I’ll be back on here later today to answer any questions that were missed and point out a few tips when dealing with these headlight assemblies.

Attached is a before and after of the driver side headlight assembly wire harness.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That is cool. I am going a different route. I found a place in Chicago that will retrofit and rewire the headlight assemblies for under $1,400. I will send pics and reviews. Stand By for updates

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lots of time and sweat but I got her back together and cleaned the headlights up the best I could.

Definitely want to see how yours turn out Fernando.

IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice! Well good luck guys if I can help in any way just holla.
If you insist lol!
I just came back from my little test drive and I noticed the headlight that I just fixed is pointing off to the right a decent amount.
I know the on the bottom of headlight there are some adjuster wheels but do you know which one does what movement?

Next weekend tackling new fuel pump and filter, then need to figure out a time to install my exhaust cut outs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oops my bad lol. There’s (2) wheels on top I believe. One to adjust up/down and the other left/right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts