BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the dealer the other week and they had a brand new F10 523i M-Sport on display.

I read the spec sheet and it had what I would call the necessary option boxes ticked (i.e. metallic paint, leather, xenons, nav). Nothing too extravagant you think. Well also next to the spec was the finance package, nothing too unusual about the terms, £X deposit followed by 36 month payments of £X with a final payment of £X. The bit that shocked me was that the total amount paid would a whisker under £50k :eek:h:

Considering this is the entry level petrol model in the UK it seems to be mightily pricey. An M5 with options is going to be approaching £100k!

Depreciation is going to be :crying:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Sad but true, especially considering the continued weakness of sterling against the Euro. Once you add in some desirable options (and BMW will charge for them) like decent stereo/full leather/sunroof, you definitely looking at £100k :sad3:

·
Registered
733 Posts
And when you think that 50k in the UK for an M3 isn't that bad, just think about what's going to cost after you'll add options to that car... I don't even want to mention the RS5...

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I don't think many UK buyers will be able to stomach a £100K BMW plus the depreciation. I don't buy new because of this.

But if I had £100k to spend £90k would selfishly be going on a new GT3 for myself and I'd take the family out in £10k worth of Ford Mondeo!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think that a well-specced m5 will be mid £70(k)s. The cost of finance is another matter and shouldn't be confused with the price of the car itself IMHO.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I think the base price will be around £80k but a decently specced car will need £10k of options (try this lot..multifunction seats £1500, sunroof £1000, full leather £5000, prof hifi & sat nav £2500) and that doesn't include the funky parking aids/cameras/individual paint etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the base price will be around £80k but a decently specced car will need £10k of options (try this lot..multifunction seats £1500, sunroof £1000, full leather £5000, prof hifi & sat nav £2500) and that doesn't include the funky parking aids/cameras/individual paint etc.
But, if so, that would be a hike of £20k or so over the e60 m5 base price and £20k more than a Jaguar XFR :Thumbdown: I can't see even BMW being that excessive. But I agree that the options could take the car into another dimension!

But, as experience has shown, the pricing (and ball-crushingly terrifying depreciation) of the m6 will be another matter!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if you guys read EVO or not? But last month (maybe the one before) they tested a 530d SE Touring. The writer made a note that it had quite some lavish options and that the price as tested was £60k ouich

Seems like car prices are going the same way as house prices were :eek7:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I could just about justify spending the £65k or so it cost to get my e60, but there's no way I'm shelling out over £80k for an f10 - without intending any disrespect, it's only a BMW, and it won't even have a v10.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've ordered a 535 d M sport as my M5 is getting old. Spec is

1) 19 inch alloys
2) Integral active steering
3) Professional media
4) Professional stereo
5)Comfort seats
6) Sport autobox
7) Rear camera
8) Surround view
9) Heated front seats
10) Split rear folding seats
11) Aluminium trim
12) Folding mirrors
13) Heated steering wheel!!
14) Heads up display

Base price of the car approx £45k, with the options £56k rrp. I've haggled it down to £51k, still a lot of money. But my m5 has developed a fault or two and needs new tyres, brakes etc and road tax is £400 and SUL is almost £1.30 a litre! So I'm happy to enjoy the 535dMS for now and then look at the M5 F10 in a couple of years time, if it is something special to warrant the huge ownership costs.

I can't see the M5 being anything less than £85k once optioned. Look at the competition. I looked at an E63 AMG and once optioned it was £85k easy. Same goes for the RS6, and the Panamera turbo will be £100k+. So this is the level the M5 will be at. I would even consider paying that money if it held its value like a Porsche GT3, but it won't. So its going to be diesel power for me for the next few years!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
my m5 has developed a fault or two and needs new tyres, brakes etc and road tax is £400 and SUL is almost £1.30 a litre! So I'm happy to enjoy the 535dMS for now and then look at the M5 F10 in a couple of years time, if it is something special to warrant the huge ownership costs.

I can't see the M5 being anything less than £85k once optioned. Look at the competition. I looked at an E63 AMG and once optioned it was £85k easy. Same goes for the RS6, and the Panamera turbo will be £100k+. So this is the level the M5 will be at. I would even consider paying that money if it held its value like a Porsche GT3, but it won't. So its going to be diesel power for me for the next few years!!
Sorry to hear about your m5. I regret letting mine go, big time. I hope that the f10 m5 is as good, but have serious doubts and wonder whether it'll be worth the price tag.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
The value is really a problem with the M5 compared to Porsche. Even though the Panamera Turbo is very expensive in the end it might not be, since the BMW M5 depreciates alot more.

But M5s tend to be driven alot more than Porsches that sometimes might explain the larger drop in value. But still it is not fun to see EUR50 000 drop in 2-2,5 years.

I've ordered a 535 d M sport as my M5 is getting old. Spec is

1) 19 inch alloys
2) Integral active steering
3) Professional media
4) Professional stereo
5)Comfort seats
6) Sport autobox
7) Rear camera
8) Surround view
9) Heated front seats
10) Split rear folding seats
11) Aluminium trim
12) Folding mirrors
13) Heated steering wheel!!
14) Heads up display

Base price of the car approx £45k, with the options £56k rrp. I've haggled it down to £51k, still a lot of money. But my m5 has developed a fault or two and needs new tyres, brakes etc and road tax is £400 and SUL is almost £1.30 a litre! So I'm happy to enjoy the 535dMS for now and then look at the M5 F10 in a couple of years time, if it is something special to warrant the huge ownership costs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sorry to hear about your m5. I regret letting mine go, big time. I hope that the f10 m5 is as good, but have serious doubts and wonder whether it'll be worth the price tag.
I wouldn't be regretting anything if I were you! You've got a 997 turbo:byebye:

It will be really interesting to see what happens with the F10 M5 ie whether they can make such a big heavy car handle like a real M car. Half of me hopes it won't be very good then I won't be tempted to buy one! Then I'll keep the 535d MS and perhaps add a 911 for occasional use.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, no regrets at all on the 997 turbo. Would love to have the m5 as the weekend family car tho.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I don't know if you guys read EVO or not? But last month (maybe the one before) they tested a 530d SE Touring. The writer made a note that it had quite some lavish options and that the price as tested was £60k ouich

Seems like car prices are going the same way as house prices were :eek7:
Havn't got it yet but I'm told my beast is in it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depreciation and pricing

I think you`d be hard pressed to get an F10 M5 to £100K and if you can then the depreciation will be savage. I have a fully optioned (minus heated steering wheel) M6 cabrio that was £96,570 in 2007.

I thank my lucky stars for the first owner, he did 22,000 in the first three years allowing me to pick it up for just less than 50%. I know when (if) I come to sell it I`ll take a bath on it but I really love the car so I don`t really care.

The only other car that comes close in my opinion is an R8 V10 convertible and that is ££££££££££s more!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts