BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

The 3rd and final hidden menu [hidden OBC menu]

150K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  kstinmb 
#1 ·
OK class, your M5 (or generic E60) seems to have 3 hidden menu's:
  1. Hidden i-drive menu (instructions here)
  2. Hidden Navigation menu (instructions here)
  3. Hidden OBC menu (instructions attached to this post)
The hidden OBC menu has been around for a while, I remember accessing it on my X5 a few years back to keep an eye on coolant temperature when the engine overheated. I've only just got round to accessing it on the M5 and there are a few treats in there like true speed (again), current rpm, etc

It's fairly complicated to access in comparison to the hidden i-drive and hidden navigation menus so guess what, I've created a PDF of the instructions for you :applause::applause: complete with a photo of every available screen, description, etc!:applause:

It's 38 pages long though :eek7: but that's only because i was only getting 3 images to a page:eek:oohhh:, look on the bright side it's less than 1MB!:cheers:

I shall attached the pdf to this post for you to look at but bear in mind it's likely to get updated as time goes. If you want to make sure you have the latest version download it from my site by clicking the link below:
E60_Hidden_OBC_Instructions.pdf (Latest Version)

It has been created in Word and all the images have been uploaded to my site so I shall post a reply in a minute listing all the images. I tried to create the whole document on the forum but since i can't create tables it would have been messy, sorry.

[Gustav I normally like to attach the images to my posts too just in case my server is down temporarily but since there are over 100 images I have just attached a zip file of all the images used]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
and here's all the images

Here's all the screen shots should you be too lazy to download the pdf instructions.
A few interesting ones to look at:
01.06 = Software Version (but doesn't say v24 or v25)
07.03 = current engine rpm (and these figures move FAST)
07.04 = current rpm yellow zone level
08.00 = current true speed
Menu 01.__

Menu 02.__

Menu 03.__

Menu 04.__

Menu 05.__

Menu 06.__

Menu 07.__

Menu 08.__

Menu 09.__

Menu 10.__

Menu 11.__

Menu 12.__

Menu 13.__

Menu 14.__

Menu 15.__

Menu 16.__

Menu 17.__

Menu 18.__

Menu 19.__

Menu 20.__

Menu 21.__

#4 ·
Scoopz, amazing job!!! When started to read through the menus I thought that one of them is going to show: Launch control# 01 etc. depending the number of times used :) but it looks like they are not recorded - at least here. Anyway, it's already late for me to check them out tonight, but I will give it a try tomorrow! RMP screen will be good to calibrate the Gtech... Thanks again!

#6 · (Edited)
......... When started to read through the menus I thought that one of them is going to show: Launch control# 01 etc. depending the number of times used :) but it looks like they are not recorded - at least here. .........

FYI, you can use the LC as often as you want. There is no mention in the manual about any warranty issues. :)

There has to be a certain (undefined) time inbetween two LC's. The car takes care of it.

#5 ·
Clearly someone who's not married :grinyes:

Excellent & comprehensive contribution :thankyou:

#7 ·
Scoopz, here are some additions to your findings:

Menu 20 is for fuel usage correction:

This "test" is actually a way to adjust the OBC's fuel consumption factor. There's a sensor in the fuel injector system that indicates fuel consumption back to the OBC. This "KVBR" value is used to calibrate that sensor using the following process:
  1. Reset one of the OBC mileage indicators and the trip odometer, and fill your tank.
  2. Record the actual fuel consumption for your car over a long period (one to two months at least).
  3. Divide this reading into the trip odometer value to calculate your actual mileage.
  4. Divide this result by the OBC indicated mileage over the same period and multiply by 1000.
You now have your fuel consumption factor. So if the car actually runs worse than displayed by the OBC, this value should be higher than 1000. Mine is set at 1048. If the car runs better milage than displayed, this value needs to be lower than 1000. My E39 had 968. By setting this number you can make the OBC mpg reading much more accurate.

A little bit different than the E39 is that the entered code is only valid for one try. In the E39 the combi instuments stayed unlocked untill battery disconnect. The E60 combi locks again when leaving this menu making it a bit harder to unlock while driving to see your speed.

I believe 8.00 V-EFF is the ABS speed indication. Not the GPS speed, however this speed is the same as my Stingers GPS speed. Bit strange as to why V-ANZ is displayed in the HUD whereas the car is capable to display V-EFF. Maybe has something to do with the analogue spedometer.

Also, you don't have to wait 10+ secs to get in this menu if you are standing still. Just press the button and right after switch on ignition. Than you will enter this menu right away.

Another thing that can be done with the so called button is that you can reset lots of stuff in your i-drive service menu. You can reset lots of service stats which are displayed in the service menu in the i-drive system. Nice for you to make pictures of these also.
You discribed that you see a warning triangle, than an oil symbol and then entered the hidden menu. Now, release the button when you see the oil symbol. This can only be done in ignition setting 2 (I still have a key!). When you see the oil, release the button and then press it again, you can step through the different services like brake pads, spark plugs etc etc. If you press the button again for a longer time, the word "Reset" appears and after releasing and pressing the button again you can reset the service km's to the next service interval km's. Just did that with the micro filters to test. They were at 50000km and just reset them to 70000km.

Hope this is enough for you to conclude your pdf.

I got the BMW docs on all of this, so if you need more stuff, just let me know!

#10 ·
Another thing that can be done with the so called button is that you can reset lots of stuff in your i-drive service menu. You can reset lots of service stats which are displayed in the service menu in the i-drive system.
Now that is handy to know, especially when it comes time to sell the car :dollarsign:, just clear them all so it looks like it's just had everything changed! Actually I'd never do that and I hope none of you would either :nono: I'm sure whoever was buying it would check the history with the dealer/ service book anyway
Hope this is enough for you to conclude your pdf.
Very useful information bunker37, thanks. I'll add it to the pdf when it nexts gets updated. Thanks.

#13 ·
I have 563507 = 26, but the code does not works. I also tryed 16 and 36 (I thought the 0 may be +/-10). Help! :)

2006, last updated in late 2007 (how can i read the 27-28 version number out? Hidden i-drive menu shows any versions, but nowhere smth like 27 nor 28).

The Navigation hidden menu do not work by me as well. It just shows perspective view.

Tnx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.