BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Advice - Discount Tire Damages all 4 Rims

11K views 72 replies 26 participants last post by  IRISH M5 
#1 ·
Discount Tire scuffed up all 4 OEM rims during a tire change. Their solution was to leave the car with them and they would try and refinish them. No F'n way am I leaving my car in their possession.

Anybody had a similar experience and if so how did you handle it?

#2 ·
yes make them buy you 4 new rims and replaced your scuffed wheels that would be the only solution to make it right. if they respray all four wheels they will never match the stock finish shadow chrome is not avil in the us

#3 ·
"Flounder, you can't spend your whole life worrying about your mistakes! You ****ed up - you trusted us!" - Otter, from "Animal House"

Sorry for the dark humor, but it's the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post.

Too late now, but you never ever let some hack shop touch high end wheels. The factory wheel finish is too delicate to allow some kid working out back at Discount Tire, Wal-Mart, or Pep Boys, to mess with. Good luck with getting them to do much of anything. There is no way they can refinish to factory spec.

Always go to a high end wheel shop that has the proper, non-contact equipment, and then talk to the actual person who is going to do the work. Explain the delicate nature of the finish ahead of time. Sure it will cost a few more bucks, but it's a lot cheaper than having to refinish high end wheels. Discount tire is great for having new rim protectors fitted to the family minivan, but not for your M.

#6 ·
That is just wrong!!!....I concurr though that refinishing the wheels to try and bring them to stock finish is futile....maybe have them polish the wheels to get rid of the rub/scrapes..and then powdercoat???...
do you think they will go for new rims??
S

#7 · (Edited)
I use DT for all my tire needs but I have never replaced the tires on the original rims of the M5. I was planning to change the 8080s this summer though and DT was going to get my business. Is this a machine issue or human negligence? Shouldn't we warn them ahead to pay extra attention?

#10 ·
Irish, i had the EXACT same thing happen to me but, this was a shop where I had tires put on previously with zero problems.

I was so sick about it that I could not even post a thread.

I told the manager that I knew every square inch of my car and that all four wheels had been damaged- he went to the jerk who did the "work" and of course he denied it.

The manager gave me a $100 discount - horray!!!

They simply denied everything. My car has a ton of miles on it and the wheels were not perfect and I WAS thinking of just replacing them - the tire shop forced my hand.

I just could not live with it and bought a brand new set - sold the old ones on e-bay for $1200.

A real shame - your wheels were beat up a little worse than mine but, they would still command a big buck on e-bay.

Very best of luck and I obviously know how you feel.

#11 ·
Hey Irish,
Sorry to hear about that. I had very similar (albeit) worse scenario just a few weeks ago happen to me at a very "reputable" independent garage. The next time I bring my car/wheels anywhere for work done on it, I recommend spending a few minutes going over the entire car/wheels with the mechanic/service manager prior to having the work done. Kind of like you do when you rent a nice car - just in greater detail. That way everyone is covered. Sorry to see the damage but I doubt much will happen with Discount tires...let us know it's a real shame people don't respect others property and then deny the damage...

#12 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/20.0.015; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

pm aw/ir02smg same thing happen to him and the shop paid for everything.

#13 ·
Discount Tire does use the latest "touch less" equipment, but the equipment does not prevent human error! Based on my experience with DT, they will try to refinish the wheels. This actually may work. When the local BMW dealer curbed one of my wheels last year, a local branch of a national chain (Alloy Wheel Repair) refinished it perfectly; I cannot tell the difference between the refinished wheel and the originals, even almost a year later (picture attached). Prior to this experience I also believed "it can't be done"; the dealer's response was "let us try - if you don't like it we'll replace the wheel."

Just today I took the M coupe in to DT to repair a tire. As is now my usual policy, the manager and I inspected the rim together before hand and agreed on the condition. If this is done, you can be sure extra care will be given!

Good luck.

Attachments

#14 ·
I had the same thing happen to one of my wheels at Big O Tires. Their solution was to give me an aftermarket rim. I passed on that idea concerned about color match, durability etc.

Since I'd been thinking about going with BBS rims, I suggested that the win-win scenario was for them to sell me the BBS rims at their price. Ended up with BBS RGRs mounted and out the door for $2400.

#15 · (Edited)
Grrr!! I know the feeling. Sorry to hear about that Richard. The same thing happened to me at the Goodyear Tire Center. The manager had them redone and I asked him to do it in gunmetal. They took care of it. Discount Tires should do the same thing. Or you can make them buy you new rims.

#17 ·
Plan of action.

I am going to have a local reputable company inspect the damage. I am 100% sure that they will say that the damage is new based on rough edges etc.

I also have high resolution photos that show that the damage is not curb rash, wrong type of damage.

My local BMW dealership will be getting the car for a look too. They know how anal I am!

I will also be getting a quote from BMW for new wheels saying that the wheels can't be refinished in the original color.

I have a few other "aces in the hole" that I cannot discuss here.

How does this all sound?

#18 ·
Plan of action.

I am going to have a local reputable company inspect the damage. I am 100% sure that they will say that the damage is new based on rough edges etc.

I also have high resolution photos that show that the damage is not curb rash, wrong type of damage.

My local BMW dealership will be getting the car for a look too. They know how anal I am!

I will also be getting a quote from BMW for new wheels saying that the wheels can't be refinished in the original color.

I have a few other "aces in the hole" that I cannot discuss here.

How does this all sound?
Sounds like man with a plan:thumbsup:....gather all your ducks before you go hunting!!....oh and if that does not work...let me know....I might have a cousin or two around there:cool2:..j/k...not really...nah I'm kidding...ya think?:cool2:
S

#20 ·
my suggestion is get a printed quote from the dealer on how much four new wheels would cost. bring it to the shop, and tell them you want the new tires for free as refinishing wouldnt be the same, and cost of new wheels out weighs the new tires... if they bite, thats pretty much the only solution imo. if not freeze the payment on the credit, and take it from there.

#26 ·
Just remember that you are not entitled to be made better than when you went in- you are entitled to be made the same-if possible. If you went in with slight curb rash and generally worn wheels, you are not entitled to brand new. Be reasonable and realistic and see if just that area can be repaired in a reasonable manner. It will be tough to redo to original, but I just had all 4 of my OEM M5 wheels 100% stripped and redone with a shadow chrome paint and it cost $500 with clear and picked up and delivered back to me. It can be done better than you think. Be honest with them and I bet you will receive the same. Go in demanding brand new wheels and they will and likely should bristle up. It is inexcusable the quality of worker they let play with wheels of this quality, but we too are guilty of taking our cars to everyday type shops that do soccer Mom's mini vans on up. G/L

#27 ·
send a letter to the local shop as well as DT's national office. give a short summary of what happened that day- brought it in at 10am for tires, explained that they needed to be careful when they used their machine, waited there, car was ready at 1pm, immediately noticed the rims were damaged, talked to Joe about the problem, etc.

explain that the "shadow chrome" paint is no longer available, so color match is not possible. you have a couple of ways to go in terms of your remedy. you could ask for replacement rims. you could ask for the value of the rims prior to them screwing them up. if you agree to let them try to repair the rims, keep in mind that your car will be on blocks for a few days, so they should agree to give you a rental.

explain what you want them to do to make it right or you will retain a lawyer and file a complaint with the better business bureau. request a response within 10 days. include pictures in your letter. keep a copy of the signed letter and the pictures for your file.

if they don't respond appropriately, then get a lawyer.

#28 ·
My experience

I bought tires a few months ago from Tire kingdom in FL. They were going to mount and balance them, too. The tech put the car up on the hoist, and I told him, "See those rims? Not a mark on them. I assume they will look exactly like that when you are done." The tech looked at me and said, I can't promise that I won't scratch your wheels. I then told him to put the car back down. Manager let me buy tires for good price, and I took them to a high end place (Boulevared Customs), who did a perfect job. Cost a little extra, but well worth it. I was lucky, the other place was not that far from me.

Rick

#29 ·
Richard that sucks.

I just had a wheel redone by Enthusiast (I think they send it to Wheel Dr?) and can send you pic's tomorrow. The wheels look perfect.

I would get agreement from the store general manager at Discount tire that he is going to pay for you to make it right. You have every legal right to do this, since they screwed up the wheels in the first place. You do not have to allow them an opportunity to correct their mistake, unless they choose to buy you new wheels. Which I would give them as an option, so if it does get ugly, you can say you gave them the opportunity. Also phrase it that you are giving them a break by allowing a refinisher to complete the repair, since (as some one else posted) they are required to repair the product to as good or better condition then when you gave them the wheels.

I am sure we could find about 100 people who would say that once a wheel is damaged, the only condition "as good" would be new wheels. Also give them an opportunity to earn your business back by giving you new tires at their cost the next time you need them.

-Kirk

#30 ·
Wait, you took the car and failed to get a written agreement there was damage?

The best tactic would have been "Hey, no big deal, just jot down that they were damaged and I'll drop them by when I get a chance and you can get them touched up"

THEN, drop the hammer.

If you come on strogn BEFORE you get their admission, odds are they will decide to deny it rather than agree to $2200 in new rims!

#31 ·
Ard, they have offered (verbally), to make it right. Their offer was to leave the car with them and they would try and refinish the wheels. That is not an option I would agree to. I would rather find a re-finisher of my choice and have Discount Tire pay. I am meeting the store manager today. No strong line yet.

#36 · (Edited)
Discount Tire Update.

Spoke to the manager today who has already filed a claim with their office in Scottsdale. He understands the difficulty of re-finishing the M5 OEM wheels. He has come across similar incidents.

He also said that the two guys who worked on the car conceded that they "may have damaged" the wheels accidentally. They wouldn't say more than that. Not a surprise.

The manager insists that Discount Tire will resolve this issue and that I should hear back later today from their insurance adjusters.

#37 ·
Spoke to the manager today who has already filed a claim with their office in Scottsdale. He understands the difficulty of re-finishing the M5 OEM wheels. He has come across similar incidents.

He also said that the two guys who worked on the car conceded that they "may have damaged" the wheels accidentally. They wouldn't say more than that. Not a surprise.

The manager insists that Discount Tire will resolve this issue and that I should hear back later today from their insurance adjusters.
i would write a very nice fax/letter to him to confirm what he told you. you want something in writing to make it harder to change positions later.

something like, "thanks for speaking with me today and agreeing that DT would [fill in whatever they agreed to do] after your installers accidentally damaged my wheels. i look forward to hearing from DT's insurance adjusters, which you said should be later today." add in other relevant discussion, if needed.

#39 · (Edited)
Discount tire sucks

Sorry to hear that.

I had similar experience when they replaced my tires last year.

And it still bothers me up to now everytime I clean my rims and see the nicks and scratches.

I basically told them that I am extremely upset that they scratched my rims (Fikse Profil 5S: http://www.nyxracing.com/fikse-profil-5s-wheel-18x95-p-34482.html

I just took that experience as "lessons learned" and wont be going back to that place again. My fault for trusting them that they will do a good job and take care of my car and rims.

Similar to all of you, we are anal about our cars, so the lesson here is - similar to car stereo installation - we wont take our beloved beasts to Car Toys where they have 17 year old kids working on cars. Their attention to detail and understanding of "extreme care" is not very high.

Same goes for tires, we need to take our beasts to a more reputable tire shop, spend a little more and find a better shop that specializes on high end cars. Then to protect ourselves further - also take pictures before the job start, inspect the wheels and tires after installation and ensure job is perfectly done.

I wont be going back to Discount Tire ever again. Luckily, my damage is only minor nicks and very light scratches.

#40 ·
Refinished wheels will NEVER be good as new. Wheels must tolerate wildly varying temperatures and a very caustic environment that includes corrosive road and brake dust. The spot refinishing may look good for a while, but it will peel and/or fail within years. Good luck getting even. If they flatly refuse to replace the wheels because they are grossly expensive, I would insist on repair plus a few hundred $ for damages. The other option is to get the whole wheel refinished properly at a place that specializes in the M5 paint color. This would involve sending them to a professional that can be found by searching this site and it'll cost about $250 each plus $50 shipping. This is better than professional "spot repair" that involves a guy using masking tape, sand paper and a spray can. They don't even remove the tire for on-site repair & it's good for a year or so. It gets tire stores out of pickles like this for minimum $ and gets the irate customer off their back until they forget about it.

#41 · (Edited)
Is this a show car?
They don't look that bad !!
The only way to keep your car perfectly mint would be not to drive it -
Most things like this only you as an owner will notice - Dings , Scratches The car is going to drop in value!!! - No matter what.
Enjoy the car and don't worry about the small stuff. ;-)

#42 ·
stpaulm5, the scratches are quite noticeable in daylight. Some are quite deep. In fact Discount Tire have said that this is not a "borderline case" and say they will make it right.

I don't know what right means yet.

But yes you are correct, I will not make this a life long crusade or lose any sleep over it.

#43 ·
I love crusades!!!

Lemme get my sword and shield. And Patsy my page (he has the coconuts).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.