Dropped off the 2006 M5 this morning, handed them the keys and title, signed my name about 20 times and drove away in the 2008 M6 Convertible.
Couple of things I noticed right away (and I am sure other who went from 06 to 08 models may have as well):
- SMG is a lot smoother in the 2008 M6. Still a bit of a "gulp" from 1-2 in S3 but a lot better. Over all just a lot smoother and quicker.
- Definitely rides like a soft top. Noticeable flexing compared to my M5 and the M6 Coupes I have driven. Totally expected and just a fact of life with a convertible. But over all it is very stiff still. Now you want to see soft top body flex, my 1966 Mustang Convertible! Whoa!
- As mentioned in earlier thread(s), came with PS2 tires. The Continentals on the M5 were OK and the wear was quite good, but the Michelin tires are really night and day just in road noise alone in my opinion.
- New head rests are kinda nice with the adjustment forward and back. Comfy seats. Not nearly as many configuration options and more manual stuff than the M5 seats. But still a wonderful place to sit.
- Soft close doors are a nice touch.
- 2008 iPod interface is sooo much better than the replace the CD changer option in 2006!
- Love the Portland Brown leather, a much better and darker shade then the previous tan/beige option. Not for everyone I suppose, but its looks better than I expected and I really like it.
A few other little things between a M5 and M6 and a 2006 and 2008. But overall, I am beyond happy and absolutely love it. Going through the 1200 mile break in again? Oh well there are much worse ways to spend 1200 miles
Couple of pictures attached. Only had my camera phone available so not so good. Will take some better shortly.
Happy Easter to everyone!